Opinion: EOS-M transition that never was

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
This was originally part of the article on the EOS-M discontinued, but then it grew to the point it made sense to unpack it into its own article. You can read about the EOS-M being quietly discontinued here. Be warned, there is not a lot said in this article that is pro-Canon, but I’ll do

See full article...

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
I rocked the original M, 10-22, and 18-55 as my casual travel kit for way longer than it's intended use cycle. Magic Lantern breathed new life into it, but alas after a good 8 years it was time to retire it after I bought my R6 (to replace my 5D II, and yes, much bigger tham M). Sadly M lenses cannot be adapted onto R mount.

I would like to see Canon come out with a spiritual successor like a R9 or R11 with the M6 body size as I do miss the compact sub 70mm high form factor. Also toss in a RF-S pancake lens or a 22mm 1.4 please.

Upvote 0
I rocked the original M, 10-22, and 18-55 as my casual travel kit for way longer than it's intended use cycle. Magic Lantern breathed new life into it, but alas after a good 8 years it was time to retire it after I bought my R6 (to replace my 5D II, and yes, much bigger tham M). Sadly M lenses cannot be adapted onto R mount.

I would like to see Canon come out with a spiritual successor like a R9 or R11 with the M6 body size as I do miss the compact sub 70mm high form factor. Also toss in a RF-S pancake lens or a 22mm 1.4 please.
I'd love to see a small camera body like the M200 too. The R100 isn't it.

Attachments

• 3cb813c4647995dfc7ab447960c359d1.png
    3cb813c4647995dfc7ab447960c359d1.png
    550.2 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
I might still buy a used M6 Mark II with a couple of cheap M lenses and use it as a travel camera for years. The RF(s) system has nothing that comes close in
size and portability or even lenses. The second option would be Fuji but they discontinued the X-E4 and the rest of their cameras are big.

I think Canon could have kept the M system going by simply reusing all the R APS-C camera internals, except the mount. R cameras can never be as small because of the much bigger mount.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014

The R100 could have been designed that way but they went with the bulky grip + EVF route. Even tho the RF mount is much bigger, the cameras could be almost as small as the M ones, only a couple mm taller (in the M100 the mount still have some space around it).

Upvote 0
I might still buy a used M6 Mark II with a couple of cheap M lenses and use it as a travel camera for years. The RF(s) system has nothing that comes close in
size and portability or even lenses. The second option would be Fuji but they discontinued the X-E4 and the rest of their cameras are big.

I think Canon could have kept the M system going by simply reusing all the R APS-C camera internals, except the mount. R cameras can never be as small because of the much bigger mount.
outside of a less robust AF than, an, say R7.. it's great little camera. I may start watching fleabay some more now.

Upvote 0
EF-M always and will be recorded in history books as Canon's Open Beta testing project. It was something they bring out to counter m43&Sony. They designed it with Rebels in their mind. Resulting it has repeat similar mistakes as T series FD-mount cameras.

I dunno why Canon is slow on converting EF-M lenses....They actually spent effort to bring newly designed RF-S10-18 is surprising. When re-make the mount of 11-22 will do.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Some of you will hate me, but I was never really interested in the M system .
First, they had no EVF or OVF. I just can't use the LCD in bright sun. When the M 5 came, I got mildly interested , but there were simply not enough interesting lenses for it, and the system had stopped growing. Could be that I had expected a Fuji APS/C equivalent from Canon.
Maybe I was wrong, but I have no regrets. There are, in my opinion, some good alternatives (not from Sony!).

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
This was originally part of the article on the EOS-M discontinued, but then it grew to the point it made sense to unpack it into its own article. You can read about the EOS-M being quietly discontinued here. Be warned, there is not a lot said in this article that is pro-Canon, but I’ll do

See full article...
I also hope Canon makes something similar to the M6 II.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
I don't really get (nor was I even really aware of) the hate for the M3. It was my first mirrorless body. It was a trooper. I loved it. I never had a problem with the Powershot firmware (I simultaneously owned both EOS and ELPH/IXY cameras for many years prior to the M3). I currently have the M50, and admittedly, I don't love it. It's not nearly as pocketable as the M3, and just doesn't see nearly as much use from me.

The EF-M22 f/2 is still one of my all-time favorite lens to this day, and for now, the only reason I haven't yet chucked the M50.

I wish Canon had planned a better transition and that M lenses could have been adapted to R. Regardless, the M-series will be missed.

Upvote 0
I don't really get (nor was I even really aware of) the hate for the M3. It was my first mirrorless body. It was a trooper. I loved it. I never had a problem with the Powershot firmware (I simultaneously owned both EOS and ELPH/IXY cameras for many years prior to the M3).
there was so many things wrong with the M3 if you came from the M or M2. The AF was as bad even though Canon said it was going to be better. The sensor was okay. it was the sensor gen before DPAF, and used phased detection rows that could show up. The AEB took 1-2 second in between photos meaning no matter your AF, it took 3+ seconds, the sensor was completely unable to be IR converted (which for me was a $1000 mistake), the UI experience was very clunky coming from the M / M2. There were shutter timer features missing. There were color cast issues in the corners with fast lenses. Coming from the M or M2 it felt like Canon got out the cripple hammer, dialed it up to 11 and beat the damned thing to death.

We were all waiting for it, it wasn't released in the USA (obviously the one time you can state Canon USA was smart), so we all had to order it via Japan, we had online tutorials rolling on dpreview on how to navigate third party shippers to ship to USA / Canada / etc.

and that's what I can remember off the top of my head something like 10 years after the fact.
Canon could have corrected most of that via firmware but instead they did the M6 and M5 cameras that fixed all those problems and delivered a far superior camera(s)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pierre Lagarde

Canon, Nikon and So on ...
Aug 4, 2020
France
www.deviantart.com
I know some here want to ignore it, but that simply can't be because physics are what they are : you can't put an RF mount in a camera with that form factor while being that small. The only way to have a camera that small (on a volume basis) would be to make it more square and thin and I really wonder about what would be the handling of such a camera ;).

Apart from that, RF seems to be the only logical future of Canon's cameras.
Anyway, for me it's clear now : after EOS M, there won't be any APS-C "small" camera I would buy and small APS-C system I would invest in. And even not that small in fact...
Think : EOS R8 is smaller and lighter than EOS R7 and if I was to choose between those two cameras I certainly wouldn't even bother about R7 !

Also : I wonder why you used past tense (i.e. "The EF-M 32mm was ...", "Mine was certainly the EOS-M M6 Mark II..."). I hope yours are still working great ! Unless you sold them of course, so they are probably working great for someone else :D ...

Upvote 0