Picked up Fuji Xt1 - was blown away - where is Canon?

I just picked up a fuji Xt1 - borrowed from a relative for a few hours. WOW. I shoot a canon t2i. Both are crop.

The fuji is another league all together. The overall innards of the camera seem to be much more advanced? Where is canon ? The images as far as out of camera jpg - are vastly cleaner and superior on the Fuji ?

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
Sporgon said:
Well in your case Canon is stuck in early 2010 whereas your friend has moved on to 2014 ;) Find a friend with a 70D and try that.

And don't forget to try a Nikon d7200 for good measure as a comprison to current midrange Canon crop :->

But generally, no doubt the competition is faster at stuffing innovations and features into their products. Canon has some goodies like dual pixel af and radio flashes, but if you want "value" as in "features per cent" look elsewhere. That being said, Canon has nice ergonomics and probably some very competitive lenses if you are ready to pay top dollar for these premium L products.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Where is Canon? On sales charts for MILCs, it's a struggle to find Fuji. The EOS M outsells the Fuji brand. Even Rikoh (who are they??) outsells Fuji.

But if the X-T1 meets your needs, that's great and you should get one (assuming a body costing double that of a Canon entry-level APS-C is in budget, and don't forget some lenses...).

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
koolman said:
I just picked up a fuji Xt1 - borrowed from a relative for a few hours. WOW. I shoot a canon t2i. Both are crop.

The fuji is another league all together. The overall innards of the camera seem to be much more advanced? Where is canon ? The images as far as out of camera jpg - are vastly cleaner and superior on the Fuji ?

Fuji is coming out with a budget version of the XT1 this year (supposedly summer), I'll be looking closely at that.

The reason Fuji jpegs look good is they're highly processed, you should compare with the in camera noise reduction on a T6i, chances are you're going to get similar performance.
I think the only reason people boast about jpeg performance is a lack of RAW support, but the reviews I've seen say the software Fuji includes does as good a job at RAW development as anything, it's just not integrated into Light room.

Upvote 0
While I own and love my xt1, it is definitely an unfair comparison considering how many generations past the t2i is. Like marsu said, the 70d would probably be a more even comparison based on pricepoint and age. That being said, I still prefer the xt1 as I've owned both.

Re raw and JPEG files, the in cam jpegs from the Fuji are definitely cooked. However, I happen to only shoot raw and the files are demosaiced quite well in recent versions of Lightroom when understanding the sharpening techniques for the xtrans files. Personally, I have moved over completely to Capture One Pro for my editing software which yields even better results. So the issues of old for processing Fuji raw are no longer the case as there are ample choices for post processing available.

I've also owned the 70d and a t5i for short periods as they were both dumped after a month. The xt1 works way better for my needs and yielded much better results.

I love my canon gear and have for a long time. But the xt1 rocks even against canon's current apsc offerings sans the 7dii.

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2014
9VIII said:
koolman said:

Fuji is coming out with a budget version of the XT1 this year (supposedly summer), I'll be looking closely at that.

The reason Fuji jpegs look good is they're highly processed, you should compare with the in camera noise reduction on a T6i, chances are you're going to get similar performance.
I think the only reason people boast about jpeg performance is a lack of RAW support, but the reviews I've seen say the software Fuji includes does as good a job at RAW development as anything, it's just not integrated into Light room.

I have a Fuji X100T which came out in November 2014. LR 5.7 supports RAW for this camera. I bought this camera mostly for street shooting. It is quiet and small, and takes great photos. It also does in camera JPG processing. A lot of street photographers don't even fool around with RAW when using this camera. Here is picture of the desert I took with this camera.

Attachments

• lateafternoon.jpg
    lateafternoon.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 447
Upvote 0

TeT

I am smiling because I am happy...
Feb 17, 2014
Marsu42 said:
Sporgon said:
Well in your case Canon is stuck in early 2010 whereas your friend has moved on to 2014 ;) Find a friend with a 70D and try that.

And don't forget to try a Nikon d7200 for good measure as a comprison to current midrange Canon crop :->

But generally, no doubt the competition is faster at stuffing innovations and features into their products. Canon has some goodies like dual pixel af and radio flashes, but if you want "value" as in "features per cent" look elsewhere. That being said, Canon has nice ergonomics and probably some very competitive lenses if you are ready to pay top dollar for these premium L products.

Call the 7200 by its official name please "super awesome greatness with frosting on top"

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
it doesn't matter how many units Canon sell, they still have an inferior sensor system that's now as much as 3 stops disadvantaged comparing the latest competition.

It would be nice to see some properly done (dxomark) tests on Fuji so we can really compare and figure out how they process their image data.

The last few years has seen a number of raw processing alternatives come out that can do a good job extracting the benefits of the Xtrans sensor.
Iridient Developer v3, Photo Ninja, Capture One, and even LR with a different sharpening method all produce very good results.

I haven't tred C1 but v3 of Iridient has made a big improvement in processing the raw files of my older xe1 cameras. They're now comparable to the xt1 output.

Fuji rocks! Canon balks.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
camerabug said:
Seems to me just another troll thread created by the OP. I wish all the trolls would just leave. They do nothing but cause disruption. I so seldom post here because of the competition fanboys dissing everyone and everything Canon.

Agreed. Maybe if others would stop feeding the trolls they will go away. I would guess that the vast majority of members on a Canon forum are users that are happy with their equipment. Those that are unhappy should buy what they think is better and go participate on those company's forums. All they do is ruin this forum with their constant criticisms. Yes, other companies make good cameras - maybe even better than Canon. So what? Unless you are completely incompetent, your Canon DSLR (any model from day one) is good enough to create beautiful, professional, photos.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
camerabug said:
Seems to me just another troll thread created by the OP. I wish all the trolls would just leave. They do nothing but cause disruption. I so seldom post here because of the competition fanboys dissing everyone and everything Canon.

I feel OP is not trying to create "disruption", just his/her expression toward the gear.

I do agree with others, his comparison is not really apple vs apple.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
sanj said:
I so agree. The Fuji XT1 is a fantastic camera - right from the looks - features - to IQ. I used to have the X100 but sold it as it did not fit in the pocket. If I am going to hand a camera around my shoulders it will be the no compromise 5d3.
Now for my go camera - which fits in my pocket - I have the wonderful Sony x100 3.

All I want is 35mm sensor in that XT1 body style ;)

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
dak723 said:
camerabug said:

Agreed. Maybe if others would stop feeding the trolls they will go away. I would guess that the vast majority of members on a Canon forum are users that are happy with their equipment. Those that are unhappy should buy what they think is better and go participate on those company's forums. All they do is ruin this forum with their constant criticisms. Yes, other companies make good cameras - maybe even better than Canon. So what? Unless you are completely incompetent, your Canon DSLR (any model from day one) is good enough to create beautiful, professional, photos.

I don't think this is really intended as trolling; the OP is genuinely concerned as to why his early 2010 intro / budget level camera from Canon is not feeling, or the end result not looking, as good as Fuij's top of the line model from mid 2014, which costs about twice as much.

He's entitled to an explanation........

Using simple words.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Dylan777 said:
sanj said:
I so agree. The Fuji XT1 is a fantastic camera - right from the looks - features - to IQ. I used to have the X100 but sold it as it did not fit in the pocket. If I am going to hand a camera around my shoulders it will be the no compromise 5d3.
Now for my go camera - which fits in my pocket - I have the wonderful Sony x100 3.

That would be a dream come true

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
Dylan777 said:
sanj said:

So true.
In this way you can see how as much as people tout the technology advancements of other manufacturers over Canon, everyone knows that all the newcomers still have a long way to go before being considered equals.
Fuji is miles away from making a 1Dx competitor, so is Sony, and Nikon is probably a lot closer to fitting into that category than anyone wants to admit.

Upvote 0