Potential Canon EOS R Mark II specifications [CR1]

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Not if I'm looking at rocking the 85 1.2 or the 28-70
I fail to see what Back Side Illumination does for those lenses specifically. There are some rumors floating about that the 1DX III sensor boasts some improvements. We will see once it gets tested properly, but if those are real, I would say it does not netter if it's BSI or something else that allowed Canon to get there. The results count, not the means to achieve them.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I don't either, but you are wrong... in real world usage. Absolutely not the same exact lens. Both very nice lenses, but the RF edges out the RF in sharpness and CA... according to those who have had both.
And let us not forget: RF 85mm f/1.2L USM is the second lens model to incorporate Canon's proprietary BR lens after the renowned EF 35mm f/1.4L II USM. BR lens consists of an optical material, namely Blue Spectrum Refractive Optics, developed for ideal chromatic aberration correction.

"So what do I really think? The Canon 85mm f/1.4 L IS is going to disappoint the Fanboys wanting bragging rights for the absolute best resolution in an 85mm lens. But after all the dust settles, it’s going to be an immensely popular lens because it’s very good optically and just superbly usable. "

I decided to buy the 1,4.
My decision was based on 3 factors: - being able to use a lens on EF and RF systems
- IS
- price
I knew that the wide-open performance of the RF 1,2/85 is better, but since I mostly shoot landscapes and not, like you, beautiful portraits, it didn't matter.
But fact is, the 1,4/85 is excellent, but the 1,2/85 RF is better...

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
i dont think it's too much to hope for dedicated stills cameras again.
a) You need a great video stream processing pipeline to get an output for the EVF anyway.
b) If a camera can be sold to a bigger group of people because it has features that appeal to a greater audience, that can allow the price to decrease.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
They won’t be able to get that wild with pricing if the a7iv comes out this year. Hell, the a7iii already nearly matches those specs and for $1900.
With 24 MP 10 FPS it certainly does not nearly match a 32 MP 12 FPS body. It will be very interesting to see if the current bodies are so cheap because they are the first iteration and compensate for their lack of cutting edge tech with these prices to draw in an initial RF crowd... Or if the claimed cost benefits of mirrorless over SLR are actually real.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Hands up who read down the list, got to "1 Sd Card slot" and thought, 'oh no, what a disappointment!'
How does this even make sense for writing to both cards simultaneously if one of the card writes newly 10 times faster than another? At 12 FPS and presumably 30Mb per an average RAW file that's 360Mb/s....

Upvote 0

Rbus

5D Mk3 5D Mk4 EF16-35 2.8L, EF24-105 F4L, EF100-40
Aug 4, 2016
New Zealand
I would be more than happy with this camera. IBIS, CFExpress and 12 FPS would make a good addition to my Mk4 and I would get rid of the Mk3.
It would work well for Wildlife, Landscape and Street which are my preferred uses.
I have no use for video mode and strongly believe very few people use it. Look on You Tube and there are not a lot of videos in 4K.

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
How does this even make sense for writing to both cards simultaneously if one of the card writes newly 10 times faster than another? At 12 FPS and presumably 30Mb per an average RAW file that's 360Mb/s....
there's a buffer that needs to be cleared right? If the buffer's big enough it won't be that much of an issue I suppose. Yes it's less fast than the 1dx iii but that's to be expected. Use the fastest sd cards and you can get a write speed of about 275 mb/s (actual speed of a tested Sony SF-G card). That's still quite fast (definitely not 10 times as slow; cfexpress has a 1200mb/s write speed).

And if you do need the fastest speed available, just use the one cfexpress slot

Last edited:
Upvote 0
RF mount really needs a good bunch of small pancake lens and primes that are somewhat affordable. I bet plenty of enthusiast would love to shed some weight out of their travelling FF setup.

I agree. Would make me consider to switch back to Canon from my beloved Fuji xpro system. I miss the full frame sensor, no matter what others say ;) But love the Fuji compactness and the fantastic lenses though.

Upvote 0
I would be more than happy with this camera. IBIS, CFExpress and 12 FPS would make a good addition to my Mk4 and I would get rid of the Mk3.
It would work well for Wildlife, Landscape and Street which are my preferred uses.
I have no use for video mode and strongly believe very few people use it. Look on You Tube and there are not a lot of videos in 4K.
YouTube is the wrong place to look for those who use the 4k capabilities. I consistently use 4k for wedding filmmaking. You would find a lot more users on vimeo. Also, just because a video on YouTube isn't 4k, doesn't mean it wasn't shot in 4k. Downscaling 4k footage has it's benefits.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I fail to see what Back Side Illumination does for those lenses specifically. There are some rumors floating about that the 1DX III sensor boasts some improvements. We will see once it gets tested properly, but if those are real, I would say it does not netter if it's BSI or something else that allowed Canon to get there. The results count, not the means to achieve them.
Hahaha my apologies, I thought he said ibis, yes I agree with you, not having backlit buttons is not a big thing although it would be Kool, muscle memory normally takes care of that problem. For me I'm hoping for IBIS, 2 card slots, and improved eyeAF.
What do you guys think about this expensive CFexpress card?

Upvote 0
A few thoughts:
  • Might EOS R2 come out simultaneously with the 5D5?
The EOS R2 announcement is rumored for the first half of 2020. The 5D5 announcement hasn't even a rumor and is most likely very far away (end of 2020? early 2021?) There was a time when the release of Nikon's D780 would have hurried up things at Canon but with both companies seeing the future of mirrorless more imporant, this doesn't help the Canon 5D Mark V.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The EOS R2 announcement is rumored for the first half of 2020. The 5D5 announcement hasn't even a rumor and is most likely very far away
That's not what I got from CR guys take on the matter:

"With all of the new cameras expected in 2020 from Canon, I don’t see either the EOS 5D Mark IV or EOS R replacement coming before Q4 of 2020."

From: https://www.canonrumors.com/the-canon-eos-5d-mark-v-is-in-the-works-cr2/

I can see Canon doing more launches of similar cameras at the same time like the 90D and M6 II.

Upvote 0

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
I thought, perfect! All the hate should bring downthe price. But really, there is no way we’re getting 12fps with first launch of IBIS on an enthusiast FF camera. There will 2 card slots or else’s every other feature is wrong in this list.
I can see Canon introducing a new feature on less-than-high-end camera. DIGIC8 & EyeAF were introduced on the APS-C M50 before they put it on the FF EOS R & RP. Full-sensor-width 4K was introduced on the APS-C M6 II & 90D before they announced it for the 1D-X II.

I think IBIS is a bigger new feature, though, but I don't see why they wouldn't introduce it on a +30 MP camera since IBIS is needed more for those shooters than people who shoot fast action/sport on the 1DX-III.

Fujifilm is rumored to introduce IBIS in X-T3 successor (likely called X-T4); they only had it on the X-H1 so far, I believe. This makes Canon the only company releasing cameras without IBIS, and Canon shouldn't stay in that position for long.

There's a lot of competition from other companies like Panasonic, Sony, and Nikon, which will give Canon less flexibility with the pricing. If these are the specs, it should be priced between the price of A7R IV ($3500) and the Panasonic S1/Canon 5DIV (about $2500), and my guess would be about $2999, unless they dropped the price of the 5D IV.

Upvote 0