Potential Canon EOS R Mark II specifications [CR1]

this is how i've felt for years. as a landscape photo guy, i dont need IBIS or any video options, and it sucks to keep paying higher prices for something i dont want or use. we've got dedicated video lines, now all our still cameras are hybrid video/stills cameras. i dont think it's too much to hope for dedicated stills cameras again.

Just switch to large format film

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
No, I'm a dynamic range fetishist. :)

BSI by itself really doesn't add that much in terms of DR. the measurable differences are negligible. you'll see more with APS-C sensors, and less with full frame sensors.

what it would do, however, is improve vignetting on fast lenses.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I decided to buy the 1,4.
My decision was based on 3 factors: - being able to use a lens on EF and RF systems
- IS
- price
I knew that the wide-open performance of the RF 1,2/85 is better, but since I mostly shoot landscapes and not, like you, beautiful portraits, it didn't matter.
But fact is, the 1,4/85 is excellent, but the 1,2/85 RF is better...
Both are great.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
CFExpress and the FPS would be the key selling points. Everything else seems like minor upgrades that'll create a very well rounded machine.
Oh I think FULLFRAME 4k (with IBIS, and with DPAf and maybe even with 10bit 4:2:2?) would be a HUGE point compared to the ludicrous 1,8 crop factor on the EOS R which got no IBIS :) The big improvement o FPS of course is certainly the selling point on the photography side, thats correct :)

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
BSI by itself really doesn't add that much in terms of DR. the measurable differences are negligible. you'll see more with APS-C sensors, and less with full frame sensors.

what it would do, however, is improve vignetting on fast lenses.
Oh, thanks for the tip. I never looked at the BSI sensor tech from the vignetting levels perspective. Very interesting.
How much of the improvement one could expect there?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I have no use for video mode and strongly believe very few people use it. Look on You Tube and there are not a lot of videos in 4K.

I don't shoot video, but the lack of posted 4K may be because a ton of people are watching YouTube on their phones, tablets, computers, etc. and 4K doesn't have much penetration there.

That doesn't mean people aren't using video on their ILCs.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I can see Canon doing more launches of similar cameras at the same time like the 90D and M6 II.

+1. Canon generally doesn't overlap major body releases. They usually leave a good buffer between releases so that a given release gets proper attention and rollout.

But are crop cameras major releases that Canon will hold off making FF news for?

- A

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Oh I think FULLFRAME 4k (with IBIS, and with DPAf and maybe even with 10bit 4:2:2?) would be a HUGE point compared to the ludicrous 1,8 crop factor on the EOS R which got no IBIS :) The big improvement o FPS of course is certainly the selling point on the photography side, thats correct :)

CFExpress is almost a bigger thing for me. Being able to unload cards that have 1700MBps read speeds and faster. And also having one format to invest in that has a future. IBIS might give my old 300mm f/2.8 non-is some new lif, a last hurrah for my first l lens that is pushing on 30 now. The video stuff I am sure some will find interesting but really that market is well served by the c line.

Upvote 0
Been waiting on getting the EOS R (I'm only interested in landscaping and street photography, portraits), I love the price of the EOS R NOW... may even drop a tad more now? Right? Or, should I wait for mark 2? Quite frankly... if the mark 2 is over 3,000 USD, may have to buy EOS R!
Get an R and use it! It's a fantastic camera for $1400 and takes excellent photos. Don't be turned away by the camera collectors--they've got their own priorities.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Speaking for the minority, I'd like to see IBIS offered as an option. I don't need it and don't want to pay extra for unnecessary complexity (unnecessary FOR ME , OK?) and a potential trouble magnet. Just saying.

If I ever own a camera with IBIS, I plan to leave it turned off.

The battery draw isn't worth it to me.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
  • Do folks really think Canon will potentially undermine 1DX3 sales with a 12 fps rig at half price (or less)? I recognize they have the stills throughput potential to move 32 x 14 from the M6 Mark II, but that's a massive bump from the original EOS R. Seems a little too good to be true to me.

I think the target market is pretty much different from the 1DX3, which is mostly used by sports photographers. I doubt these photographers/agencies are much interested in an EOS R2 at the moment. At least not as a main body. Maybe as an replacement for the 5D. But then again, I think they prefer the more sturdy body of the 5D line at the moment.
But I agree, it sounds a little to good, to be true. Between the Canon 5D II, III and IV they did not realy show much improvements in FPS - it would be quite untypical to suddenly offer such a big improvement in this regard. But one can hope :)

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Personally, I'm looking for a mirrorless 5Ds replacement, and this aint it ;-)
As ever, video specs are the bits I skip over (YMMV ;-)
This would be a def upgrade to a 5Dmk4 especially if it has IBIS and a CFexpress. 5Kmk4 = 41 cross point AF, 7 fps, DIGIC 6 processor, UHS-1 no support for UHS-II, and USB-2.This EOS R CFexpres card alone implies that the bus speed is most likely capable of supporting a least 10 times the processing speed of the 5dm4, and a lot more programming headroom for firmware upgrades. UHS-1 104 MB/s top speed vs CFexpress bus 1970 MB/s. That's a huge upgrade

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I think the target market is pretty much different from the 1DX3, which is mostly used by sports photographers. I doubt these photographers/agencies are much interested in an EOS R2 at the moment. At least not as a main body. Maybe as an replacement for the 5D. But then again, I think they prefer the more sturdy body of the 5D line at the moment.
But I agree, it sounds a little to good, to be true. Between the Canon 5D II, III and IV they did not realy show much improvements in FPS - it would be quite untypical to suddenly offer such a big improvement in this regard. But one can hope :)
Actually it's not too good to be true. The 1DXIII is a niche market and of course will have 2 CFexpress Cards slots. The eye opener is not so much the 12fps but the CFExpress Card slot and it's new processor. Which undoubtedly would mean a bus speed capable of handling data transfer rates of up to 1970 MB/s vs the slower UHS-1 speed of 109 MB/s. It appears that Canon has waited to implement and has enough CFExpress inventory to support the processing + throughput of it's mirrorless plans. Many photogs now desire an immediate fast upload and post option, vs the historic download to PC workflow. CFExpress bus, now over three years old makes this quite a viable solution. The 5dm3/mk4 has always been Canon's basic workhorse camera. Not the 1DX. If the bus is too slow to get the pics + video over to the phone or tablet and one has to take a break and grab lunch first, and not a viable option in a professional setting for most.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hahaha my apologies, I thought he said ibis, yes I agree with you, not having backlit buttons is not a big thing although it would be Kool, muscle memory normally takes care of that problem. For me I'm hoping for IBIS, 2 card slots, and improved eyeAF.
What do you guys think about this expensive CFexpress card?
BSI refers to the sensor not the buttons on the back of the camera.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
How does this even make sense for writing to both cards simultaneously if one of the card writes newly 10 times faster than another? At 12 FPS and presumably 30Mb per an average RAW file that's 360Mb/s....
Maybe it will only send jpegs to the slower card in this configuration...
Also,the burst rate might slow down, as it happens on the 5D Mark IV when you write to both cards.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How does this even make sense for writing to both cards simultaneously if one of the card writes newly 10 times faster than another? At 12 FPS and presumably 30Mb per an average RAW file that's 360Mb/s....

Sure having two matching slots is always ideal. However, lets assume the SD is UHS-II (couldn't imagine it not being so in 2020). So what are Canon options: Dual CFE or Dual UHS-II SD or one of each.

If they go dual CFE you wouldn't hear the end of it from people complaining they are forced to buy these expensive cards that may have no benefit for the type of photography they do. This is a constant complaint about the Z6/7. Even people considering a $6500 1DXIII can be heard mumbling about the card investment they have to add on top.

If they go dual SD UHS-II then the best you can get out of the camera is that speed. People complain about Sony not including something faster than UHS-II which I agree with having shot A7RIV and shooting A9....it is way to slow to clear the large buffer (although this may be in part due to other parts of the overall system).

If they go one CFE and one UHS-II SD then people who don't want to upgrade cards can go as cheap as running a single UHS-I card for $10. Or you can max out performance (in camera and at the computer) by just using the CFE (maybe jpeg backup to SD if you need backup depending on how that affect overall buffer and write performance). If you need RAW mirroring then you are no worse off than dual SD.

I think for this price point of camera, CFE/SD is the ideal solution to please the majority of users.

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0