PowerShot SX60 HS Replacement Finally Coming? [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We’re told that a new SX PowerShot camera will be announced relatively soon. We’re hoping that it’ll finally be a replacement to the PowerShot SX60 HS.</p>
<p>As soon as we find out more, we’ll pass it on.</p>
<p>The new Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM will be announced on April 5, 2017 (depending on where you are on the planet), and that would seem like a logical time to announce a PowerShot camera.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Why is Canon wasting time on products like this? I'm sure the majority of prospective purchasers would be more than satisfied with the current crop of cell phone cameras. I'd like to see Canon develop a top tier FF mirrorless camera or a high megapixel MF mirrorless camera, rather than catering to the low end of the market. Canon has the resources, marketing cachet and technical know how to do this, but lack only the willpower.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
dhachey77 said:
Why is Canon wasting time on products like this? I'm sure the majority of prospective purchasers would be more than satisfied with the current crop of cell phone cameras. I'd like to see Canon develop a top tier FF mirrorless camera or a high megapixel MF mirrorless camera, rather than catering to the low end of the market. Canon has the resources, marketing cachet and technical know how to do this, but lack only the willpower.

Tiny crop sensors in a dedicated superzoom system can be competitive with the IQ from a Big White.

It's a great value proposition as long as you're willing to restrict your shooting to daylight (and slower AF).

Unfortunately the last couple of compact superzooms that Canon shipped were pretty unspectacular. I'm pretty sure Nikon still has the best model on the market.
Hopefully Canon can rectify that situation.

Upvote 0
dhachey77 said:
Why is Canon wasting time on products like this? I'm sure the majority of prospective purchasers would be more than satisfied with the current crop of cell phone cameras.

1. People buy them., in large numbers, and they are profitable (one assumes given Canon's generally conservative approach).
2. There are zero superzoom, stabilized cell phones on the market.

Upvote 0
dhachey77 said:
Why is Canon wasting time on products like this?

I'd like to see Canon develop a top tier FF mirrorless camera or a high megapixel MF mirrorless camera, rather than catering to the low end of the market.

Because carrying a small 60x superzoom is easier and cheaper than hiring a bodyguard to carry a 1200mm FF lens?

Let me tell you something mindboggling, are you ready, here it goes....your FF camera isn't good at everything.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Nininini said:
dhachey77 said:
Why is Canon wasting time on products like this?

I'd like to see Canon develop a top tier FF mirrorless camera or a high megapixel MF mirrorless camera, rather than catering to the low end of the market.

Because carrying a small 60x superzoom is easier and cheaper than hiring a bodyguard to carry a 1200mm FF lens?

Let me tell you something mindboggling, are you ready, here it goes....your FF camera isn't good at everything.
Super zooms are a compromise camera. You sacrifice quality for a semi-compact all-in-one camera at a low price. They will never be as good as a decent DSLR and lenses.....

That said, my SX-50 fits into the tiny hatch on my kayak..... I can slip it into a coat pocket..... I don't have to worry about changing lenses...... it works way better than a DSLR sitting on a shelf at home....

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
dhachey77 said:

Here is a link to my friends youtube channel, most of the videos uploaded here have been shot using Canon SX50 or SX60(one of those two superzooms). In many situations for shooting videos of wildlife these cameras are a perfect compromise between size and quality.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvcmiUVHwX-Lad0AvToH1ug/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Edit: although with advent of superzooms with 1" sensor has certainly made things for interesting. Panasonic's FZ2000 and Sony's RX10 MK3 are really good options for people who want to travel light and not carry big slrs.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
canonic said:
SX ... who?!?

Canon 6D / mirroless FF / sensor technology rumors is what i am looking for, here on canonrumors. The rest is ...

You're doing yourself a disservice not paying attention to the compact superzooms. It could be an ideal camera to pair with an SLR if you're not setting out with supertelephoto lenses to begin with, or just for more casual use, low risk, low profile.
Not to mention practically everything on the market gets equally good IQ in good light these days.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
canonic said:
SX ... who?!?

Canon 6D / mirroless FF / sensor technology rumors is what i am looking for, here on canonrumors. The rest is ...

Here's the problem....

An SX-60 costs $530 where I live....

To get more reach on a sunny day I need a 5D-S and an 800F5.6 lens, which costs $22,250....

The SX-60 is a lot more affordable and a heck of a lot easier to carry......

Upvote 0
dhachey77 said:

Ehm, I do not think Canon "waste time" on anything. If they build it, it is because they (with extensive marketing research) believe that they will earn so much money on this product, that they will get their investment of time and money in developing it back, and then some.

And I agree with them. I think the superzooms will have a market for the foreseeable future. Unlike short-zoom compacts, no mobile phones can double as a superzoom, so their market is not threatened. On the contrary, the mobile phone size sensors are developing rapidly because of the size of THAT market, so the superzooms can make use of that and focus on developing the rest of the camera. Basically just stick an iPhone sensor in to a better housing with a much better lens.

I am at least hoping that Canon will try to increase the speed of their offering, both in handling and lens. throw a Digic 7 in there and have a 24-1600mm eq. lens that starts at 2.8, maybe to 4.5? That would take them directly to the top of the superzooms again. And I would buy it.

Upvote 0
canonic said:
SX ... who?!?

There are enough threads for it, don't waste your and our time here. I for instance am quite interested in this and was asking for more than a year when is a replacement coming. i have an SX50 and found out the SX60 to be too little an advancement to jump to it. Bring it on, Canon!

Upvote 0
Just sold an SX50 & SX60 refurbished a couple of weeks ago. Glad I got rid of them but I did keep a SX50. I know these bridge cameras aren't for everybody and without spectular light your IQ falls off quickly but I cherish it for it's size, weight and convenience.

There are times I don't want to use my 500F4 and mostly for weight. Yes there's IQ loss with the bridge but you quickly forget when you're able to make the shot where otherwise you would not.

Upvote 0