Preorder the Canon EOS 7D Mark II, New Lenses & PowerShot Cameras

dgatwood

300D, 400D, 6D
May 1, 2013
Re: Preorder the Canon EOS 7D Mark II, New Lenses & PowerShot Cameras

hambergler said:
849 for wireless and it doesn't even support 802.11ac is this a joke?

Canon's entire concept of Wi-Fi in cameras is a joke. What could Canon possibly be thinking charging that kind of money for such a basic, limited device? Fifty bucks, I could see. Maybe a hundred on the high side. At $849, I no longer see refurbished 70D bodies as great cameras with wireless, but rather as WFTs that come with a free camera!

In other words, there's not enough crack in the world for this to make sense.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013

Mt Spokane Photography said:
Same price initially as the original 7D. In a year, it will drop $300, but will be a hot item this Christmas.

I ordered the original 7D from Amazon. 2 months later, they cancelled my order due to a error in their description, so instead of being at the front of the line, I had to reorder. I did reorder at Adorama, and they took care of me. Then, when I received it, I found that all the glowing reports were greatly overstated, and returned it for a refund.

My thought is that if they can improve the High ISO on a APS-C sensor, the FF versions coming out next year will be amazing. Then, I'll take the hook ;)

It would be great if they did drop the price just as they announce new Full Frame bodies with disappointing specs, then getting the 7D2 would be an easy decision. Though I would actually rather have a hard time deciding whether or not to get the 5D4 (scratch that, I would rather have an easy time deciding to get the 5D4).
in the meantime, as long as the SX60HS doesn't completely fail at autofocus and high ISO, it should be a really fun distraction (and it has my flippy touchscreen, wi-fi, 6.4fps burst, heck, it's basically a mini D750!).

Upvote 0

:eek: Really Canon? So this is going to cost £1000 in the US, £1000 in Asia (currency converted) and £1600 in the UK and Europe?

Even with VAT taken into account that's still £400 more and just crazy! It's just going to drive further grey market imports??

...maybe it is time to jump to the Nikon ship

Upvote 0

Something I have not heard much about is the focusing system/choices carried over from the 7D mkI version. Has it remained the same? It was rather sophisticated already, but I'm curious if Canon adapted/integrated anything from the 1D or 5D series.

This is a great price as well.

Upvote 0

trickys77 said:
:eek: Really Canon? So this is going to cost £1000 in the US, £1000 in Asia (currency converted) and £1600 in the UK and Europe?

Even with VAT taken into account that's still £400 more and just crazy! It's just going to drive further grey market imports??

...maybe it is time to jump to the Nikon ship

There are many legitimate reasons to switch to Nikon. This ain't one of them.

If you think the 7DMII is the camera for you, switching to Nikon because the Canon price is too high will not make you happy. Switch to Nikon only if you think Nikon cameras will be better for you... not because you don't like Canon's initial pricing on the 7DMIII.

Upvote 0

Khufu said:
$1800 would be around £1330 with our 20% VAT added (£1108 without)
£270 Canon-Owns-Your-Ass tax sounds about right... Give it a month or so and see what Panamoz.com sell them for! They're similar to what ProCameraShop were and the Bank Transfer discount's way worth it!

Have you ordered from them before? They have a Brighton telephone number, although I expect that's voip to who knows where!
I have ordered stuff from Simply before without issue (I know, I'm dicing with death there!).

Upvote 0

Don Haines said:
Surfwooder said:
The very first thing I noticed about the Canon 7D II, is the battery change, and the asking price of the battery, $99.00. I'm going to do a little research about this battery. I'll look at the A/hr, voltage, etc. I'm thinking they only changed the pin out, and not really changed the specs for the battery. As Canon thinks, just make it more expensive, the Canon battery may even be chipped, so 3rd party manufactures are shut out.
Surfwooder

Both the 7D and the 7D2 use the same AC adaptor kit.... so that means that the battery is the same physical size, has the same pin-out, and uses the same voltage.... but the new one has the capacity increased from 1800maH to 2050maH (according to rumoured specs). The two batteries can be used interchangeably in cameras, but rhe new version needs the new charger to charge

I wonder if the new battery will be able to improve lens AF speed?

Upvote 0
7D Mark 2 owners manual

I emailed Canon and asked why the owner’s manual was not available for download on the Canon site. For your information here is their reply: Thank you for contacting Canon product support regarding our new EOS 7D Mark II. I'm afraid the finalized copy of the manual is not yet available. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. It will be posted shortly before the camera ships, so you should be able to browse the manual a little while before the cameras start appearing in stores. We certainly do understand the importance of having this resource available online, and we will post it as soon as we get a finalized version.

Upvote 0

Canon1 said:
iMagic said:
$1,799 in both the US and Canada. With the CDN dollar so much lower.... all you US guys, buy from Camera Canada!

Notice that the only site mentioning that $1799 is an estimated price and that actual price may change... Is camera Canada. ;)

Ahhh no. Final price from camera canada is $1799. Plus canon canada offers a presale promo of a 24-70 f4 is for $400 plus some other freebies for canadian buyers.

Correction it is now listed at 1,899 cdn. Still a great deal

Re correction. I have an email confirmation that camera canada will honor the $1,799 price!

Upvote 0
Re: 7D Mark 2 owners manual

Twostones said:
I emailed Canon and asked why the owner’s manual was not available for download on the Canon site. For your information here is their reply: Thank you for contacting Canon product support regarding our new EOS 7D Mark II. I'm afraid the finalized copy of the manual is not yet available. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. It will be posted shortly before the camera ships, so you should be able to browse the manual a little while before the cameras start appearing in stores. We certainly do understand the importance of having this resource available online, and we will post it as soon as we get a finalized version.

This must be why they are not ready to start shipping the bodies yet. ;D

Upvote 0

I think the 7D Mark II will be a slow seller (relatively speaking compared to the original 7D) unless the video quality is significantly improved.

A vast number of people purchased the original 7D for video, however when the 5DMKIII & 6D came out (and the price dropped on the 5DMKII's) a lot of those 7D Videographers sold their 7D's to buy used 5DMKII's or new 6D's.

Magic Lantern has shown us that Canon DSLRs are capable of much better video image quality than Canon has been enabling so unless the 7DMKII shows marked video improvement I think it will be a big DUD to the video crowd.

Upvote 0

dolina said:
Don Haines said:
Both the 7D and the 7D2 use the same AC adaptor kit.... so that means that the battery is the same physical size, has the same pin-out, and uses the same voltage.... but the new one has the capacity increased from 1800maH to 2050maH (according to rumoured specs). The two batteries can be used interchangeably in cameras, but rhe new version needs the new charger to charge
Just like the 1D X's battery I do not think a new charger will be required all the time. Reliability of fully charging may not be guaranteed all the time but it did work with me.
If you go by the Canon USA listing for "What's in the box" http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_7d_mark_ii#BoxContent the battery charger listed is the LC-E6 which is the same charger as the 5D/6D/7D etc.
I'm pretty sure the intention of the newer battery is to give a higher capacity in the same form factor so 3rd party chipping aside the batteries should be completely interchangeable.

Upvote 0

Skip said:
WEX price £1599, I was expecting it to be £1799 in line with the dollar price :eek: now where's me piggy bank

Jigsaw24 are doing it for £1,475 inc VAT (£6 P&P)
I got a quote which runs out on the 29th Sept so this price may change soon?

Ashley

Upvote 0