Reikan FoCal and 5DIV

Hello,

I have Reikan Focal Pro version 2.3.0M installed on my late 2011 MacBook Pro.

When I try to calibrate my lenses with my 5DIV, I get a message saying that this camera is not supported. I found this strange, since I remember Reikan coming out and saying that they currently support the 5DIV. I have tried updating the software, however apparently it is up to date.

Please help?

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
aa_angus said:
Hello,

When I try to calibrate my lenses with my 5DIV, I get a message saying that this camera is not supported. I found this strange, since I remember Reikan coming out and saying that they currently support the 5DIV. I have tried updating the software, however apparently it is up to date.

Please help?

I purchased the latest version and it works fine. e-mail them - they always reply very quickly.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi aa Angus.
In the past I have had a similar issue because the EOS utility software from Canon is either not installed or not the version that supports the new camera.
I don't recall if FoCal still relies on this being installed and up to date for the camera used.
Yes email Reikan, you will probably be surprised how fast the response is!

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your input guys.
I have installed EOS utility on my laptop.

Now the problem is that when I click "Connect" in FoCal (with my 5DIV connected and turned on), it forever says "Connecting", without ever actually connecting. I have tested using my 6D with no issues whatsoever.

I really need to get this software working with my 5DIV.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-28 at 8.50.55 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-28 at 8.50.55 pm.png
    87.6 KB · Views: 154
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
aa_angus said:
Thanks for your input guys.
I have installed EOS utility on my laptop.
Just one guess on the order of installation:
If you've installed FoCal first and then EOS Utility try reinstalling FoCal now.

If FoCal was installed with no or the wrong EOS Utility on the PC maybe there was no proper connection between those two SWs.

If the order was EOS Utility first and then FoCal please forget about this advice and wait for Relican to respond.

Upvote 0
aa_angus said:
Hello,

Please help?

When did you get your license?

You may need to update your Reikan software by buying a new one to make it work with the 5DIV.

Reikan came out with a rather strict upgrade policy recently to ensure that they can sell you the updates as they come along. You have a limited time of upgrades only. All new versions after that are denied. So I can also not use my version with the 5DIV and had to do it manually (I do that always anyway to double check my results, so I have the needed things to do this).

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Maiaibing said:
aa_angus said:
Hello,

Please help?

You need to update your Reikan software by buying a new license. Otherwise its not going to work! Reikan came out with a rather strict upgrade policy recently to ensure that they can sell you the updates as they come along. You have a limited time of upgrades only. All new versions after that are denied.
You are aware that V2.3 is the latest version? And that the OP said that he installed this one?

Upvote 0
Maximilian said:
Maiaibing said:
aa_angus said:
Hello,

Please help?

You need to update your Reikan software by buying a new license. Otherwise its not going to work! Reikan came out with a rather strict upgrade policy recently to ensure that they can sell you the updates as they come along. You have a limited time of upgrades only. All new versions after that are denied.
You are aware that V2.3 is the latest version? And that the OP said that he installed this one?
He wrote he had V2.3.0 - I'm not sure that is the latest or if its only the latest one he can upgrade to per his license. Reikan's home page does not easily say so as it only lists V2.3 as current.
(I actually edited my text to make it more precise while you quoted me.)

Upvote 0
Maiaibing said:
Maximilian said:
Maiaibing said:
aa_angus said:
Hello,

Please help?

He wrote he had V2.3.0 - I'm not sure that is the latest or if its only the latest one he can upgrade to per his license. Reikan's home page does not easily say so as it only lists V2.3 as current.
I now checked with Reikan's policy and V2.3.x should all work with the 5DIV.

In this case the OP should first check if anti-flicker is on or not. It must be turned off.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Maiaibing said:
Maximilian said:
Maiaibing said:
aa_angus said:
Hello,

Please help?

AFAI understand FoCal license policy on their HP after 12 months they charge you for any upgrade on the minor or major number, meaning you'll have to pay for it when you change from V2.2 to V2.3.
But if they do updates/upgrades within the minor, e.g. 2.3.0 to 2.3.1 this is (always) free.
And if the OP says he tried to update and got the note that his version was the latest, I'd believe that, don't you, too?

Please also refer to their FAQ:
http://www.reikan.co.uk/focalweb/index.php/faqs/

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Maiaibing said:
In this case the OP should first check if anti-flicker is on or not. It must be turned off.
Sorry, I couldn't find that one.
Does this just influence the measurement or the communication to the camera itself?

To me, the screen shot looks like a general communication problem, maybe coming from a defective installed interface.

Upvote 0
I only purchased the software a month ago. So the notion that my licence is not current/won't allow me access to the latest version is wrong.

Moving forward, I do have anti-flicker switched on. HOWEVER, this raises no issue when I use my iMac and Focal.
However, setting up a desktop computer in a backyard to calibrate longer lenses is going to be a nightmare. This is why I must get it running on my laptop. I will turn off anti-flicker and try again.

*sidenote* One of the reasons that I am so keen to get this working ASAP is that my Canon 24-70 f/2.8L II (3 years old at most) stopped working while I was shooting a wedding a couple of weeks ago. I spent $500 getting it repaired by Canon. Since the repair, it is clear (to me), that it is not as sharp as it was prior to the repair. As this is my main lens, I was forced to hire another copy while mine was being repaired. I currently have both lenses in my possession. The rental clearly produces sharper images. Hopefully mine just needs to by AFMA'd. Sorry for the rant.

Upvote 0
Maximilian said:
aa_angus said:
Update: Disabling Anti-Flicker on my 5DIV has made no difference to the situation.
:(

What about my advice? How was the installation order?

My apologies for not addressing your suggestion!
FoCal Pro was indeed installed before EOS Utility - I simply don't have the time right now to uninstall and re-install everything. It's 10:43pm in Australia, and I have a wedding all day tomorrow so I should get some sleep soon.

Mind you, why would my iMac running Focal have no issues with my 5DIV (same installation order..I think)?

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
aa_angus said:
Mind you, why would my iMac running Focal have no issues with my 5DIV (same installation order..I think)?
Good point!
Software is always a complex topic, so this is something where I don't have any idea.
I hope you'll have a good job and working gear tomorrow.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Angus.
I had a similar problem, you might need to disconnect the camera from the EOS utility, my EOS utility opens every time the camera is connected and stops FoCal from connecting, close the EOS utility interface and then open FoCal and all is ok.

Don't fret this, keep the rental another day (if you can?) and relax and do well at the wedding.

Cheers, Graham.
Ps software is so pernickety that a different driver or hardware between the two computers might cause the difference in behaviour.

Upvote 0