Reikan FoCal and 5DIV

Mar 25, 2011
sedwards said:
I would suggest the same as Graham did . Make sure EOS utility is not running as it opens automatically when you connect the camera and turn it on.

You can set the options to keep it from connecting automatically, just right click on the icon in the tray (Windows). I'm sure something similar is on the Mac.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
aa_angus said:
Hey guys,

I have disabled Photos from opening automatically and EOS Utility is not running when I'm trying to use FoCal.

Any other ideas?I still haven't received a response to my help ticket from Reikan. So far I am very unimpressed.

It works for the rest of us, we've given our advice on possible problems we have found and solved. Maybe something is wrong with your computer.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Angus.
Did you uninstall and reinstall the software as suggested, starting with the EOS utility that supports the 5DIV, then FoCal?
If you have, I would try contacting Reikan again, I filled in the online form at 10:05 Saturday am and got a response at 11:13 the same morning, I did not expect a to get response until the Monday.
I'm most surprised you haven't had something from them.

Cheers, Graham.

aa_angus said:
Hey guys,

I have disabled Photos from opening automatically and EOS Utility is not running when I'm trying to use FoCal.

Any other ideas?I still haven't received a response to my help ticket from Reikan. So far I am very unimpressed.

Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
Hi Angus.
Did you uninstall and reinstall the software as suggested, starting with the EOS utility that supports the 5DIV, then FoCal?
If you have, I would try contacting Reikan again, I filled in the online form at 10:05 Saturday am and got a response at 11:13 the same morning, I did not expect a to get response until the Monday.
I'm most surprised you haven't had something from them.

Cheers, Graham.

aa_angus said:
Hey guys,

Hello,

I have just uninstalled Canon EOS Utility and Reikan FoCal Pro from my laptop.
The problem now is, I cannot seem to install EOS Utility on my laptop.

It gets to a certain point in the installation process, then ceases to do anything. I have attached a screenshot.

I have also been playing around with FoCal and my 5DIV using my iMac.
While the computer and camera seem to recognise each other, I am experiencing some weird behaviour. For instance, I have the focal target perfectly lined up (in camera and on the FoCal preview monitor). Then when FoCal shows me the "before calibration" shot, the target is clearly way off to the right in the frame. So I start everything again and line up the target perfectly, only for the "before calibration" shot to be way off to the right again.

I know this is no-one's fault. However I am really losing out here. I have spend over $40,000 on Canon equipment, and right now I feel more confident using my 6D than my 5DIV. Not to mention the fact that my 24-70 f.8L II is not as sharp as it once was (since being repaired by Canon), so I am going to have replace that with a brand new one to have any sort of confidence moving forward. TBH I wish that I didn't buy a IV yet, not that it is related to the failure of my main lens.

Upvote 0
aa_angus said:
I have mentioned multiple times in this thread alone that I am using Sierra.

I didn't mean to offend you, just wanted to help. And honestly I cannot see where you mention that.
But anyway, I had the same problem you have with my 7D II and the picture I attached to my reply was a screenshot of a mail from the FoCal support team regarding that problem.

You can still use manual mode. It is not as comfortable to use, but it works. The only thing that is strange about it is that FoCal doesn't read the information about the micro adjustments from the RAW files EXIF data, but from the file name. All my files had names like 4X54736.CR2 and because of the number 4 in front of the X FoCal thought the AFMA in the camera was set to +4. So I had to rename every file.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Useful information about Manual Mode.
Canon issued a product advisory about Sierra, which was highlighted by CR, and led me not to upgrade.
http://www.canonrumors.com/?s=Sierra

Canon had promised to sort it out by the end of September, and there is an active thread about its failure so to do.
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=31179.0

Upvote 0
AlanF said:
Useful information about Manual Mode.
Canon issued a product advisory about Sierra, which was highlighted by CR, and led me not to upgrade.
http://www.canonrumors.com/?s=Sierra

Canon had promised to sort it out by the end of September, and there is an active thread about its failure so to do.
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=31179.0

I'm happy you avoided any problems. Well I guess I will wait and see how everything plays out.
In the meantime I will give manual mode a go I suppose. Gah.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi itsab.
In this case you could have used a user set file name prefix like img_xxx, if this is for your 7DII it is page 190 of the manual. This should solve this part of the manual mode problem.

Cheers, Graham.

itsab1989 said:
All my files had names like 4X54736.CR2 and because of the number 4 in front of the X FoCal thought the AFMA in the camera was set to +4. So I had to rename every file.

Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
Hi itsab.
In this case you could have used a user set file name prefix like img_xxx, if this is for your 7DII it is page 190 of the manual. This should solve this part of the manual mode problem.

Cheers, Graham.

Good to know. Thank you!
I only adjusted one lens because of these troubles and when I noticed this strange behaviour of FoCal the pictures were already taken. So I had to rename them and it was a bit of a struggle.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Angus.
Perhaps you haven't received a reply as the Sierra incompatibility seems to be a well documented issue.
However I am surprised they wouldn't just acknowledge your message and tell you they knew about the issue and were working on it.
I fully understand your feelings regarding money back, I went to an automotive suppliers local outlet (I'm a trade user) and stood at the counter for several minutes, no other customers waiting, three staff walked past and back again, (I think 2 were delivery drivers loading their vans and one member of counter staff) not one acknowledged my prescence, I only wanted to hear "someone will be with you in a moment" I turned and walked!
Not going back unless I can't get what I want elsewhere!
Communication with customers is crucial.

Cheers, Graham.

aa_angus said:
At this point I would like to add that I still have not received any reply from Reikan.
I'm almost at the stage of asking for my money back, as I cannot use the software for its intended purpose, and they haven't even acknowledged my messages.

Upvote 0

Old Sarge

CR Pro
Nov 6, 2012
Valvebounce said:
Hi Angus.
Perhaps you haven't received a reply as the Sierra incompatibility seems to be a well documented issue.
However I am surprised they wouldn't just acknowledge your message and tell you they knew about the issue and were working on it.
I fully understand your feelings regarding money back, I went to an automotive suppliers local outlet (I'm a trade user) and stood at the counter for several minutes, no other customers waiting, three staff walked past and back again, (I think 2 were delivery drivers loading their vans and one member of counter staff) not one acknowledged my prescence, I only wanted to hear "someone will be with you in a moment" I turned and walked!

Cheers, Graham.
Being an old man, I was raised (and trained in retail) that customer service is important. You always (at the very least) acknowledged the customer. Today, at least in the U.S., customer service seems non-existent. I have done the same thing as you, walked out and went elsewhere....and let the management know about it.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
aa_angus said:
At this point I would like to add that I still have not received any reply from Reikan.
I'm almost at the stage of asking for my money back, as I cannot use the software for its intended purpose, and they haven't even acknowledged my messages.

Dd you get a Ticket auto-reply to your mail eg in the subject line:

Ticket Received - [#10504] {Urgent Enquiry}

If not, your message didn't get through.

Upvote 0
AlanF said:
aa_angus said:

Dd you get a Ticket auto-reply to your mail eg in the subject line:

Ticket Received - [#10504] {Urgent Enquiry}

If not, your message didn't get through.

Yes I did actually - I guess that means that technically they DID acknowledge my messages..

Upvote 0
Old Sarge said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Angus.

Cheers, Graham.
Being an old man, I was raised (and trained in retail) that customer service is important. You always (at the very least) acknowledged the customer. Today, at least in the U.S., customer service seems non-existent. I have done the same thing as you, walked out and went elsewhere....and let the management know about it.

Reikan is known for its poor (very slow) customer service. I've had to wait weeks for a reply.

Upvote 0