Replace 2 with a 1 :)

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
I have a 7DII, a 7D and a 5D. The 5D is my gateway drug to full frame, but does not live in a bag and is often toted around loose.
I walked past the local camera shop last week and saw they had a 1DsIII body in the window for a very good price due to it was missing the box, instruction manual, USB cable, USB cable protector and the little round rubber cover for the extension system terminal. It did have 2 batteries, the double charger and the strap included. Is there anything else that should have been in the box and is not on the included list?
The shop say that they believe the camera has about 16,000 shots on it which I can believe as it looks like new plus I am a frequent visitor in the shop and trust that they believe it. I now own this camera.
Other cameras that are out there for what I paid look like they have been dragged down a gravel road, paint missing, scratches to body and screens, polished rubber grips etc.

Is there anyone here that would not sell a 7D and 5D to replace them with the 1DsIII based on the technical ability of the body? Why not (don't say weight :) )?
Weight does not come in to it for me as I weighed my 7DII with grip and 2 batteries and the 1DsIII and the 1D is Less than 4oz heavier than the 7D so pretty much a moot point.
I have already given it a work out at the Goodwood Members Meeting, I put nearly another 1000 clicks on it (after saying I would try to cut back on the number of shots I have to go through!) and I am thoroughly impressed with the beast.
I did find one thing I missed, auto ISO, but I did find a work around for that by using Safety Shift enable ISO.
I also found one very handy tool, register settings to * button which meant I could have a slow shutter speed (for panning shots) set up in Tv and have a faster shutter shutter speed (to freeze the action) on demand on the * button, most useful.

Cheers, Graham.

Jan 29, 2011
The 1DS MkIII is the best value for money camera you can buy with a Canon badge on it.

When new it came with an alloy knob that held the USB cable holder in and the dummy battery/AC adapter kit (ACK-E4 AC Adapter Kit), it also came with two USB cables, a short one and a 9' one. The USB cables have a block on the end that fits the holder and very few other USB cables fit it right, though the Tethertools 15' one does, sort of.

I am still using mine as the truth is I just haven't found a compelling reason to change them yet. One AF setting really worth playing with a lot is the AI Servo tracking sensitivity, C.Fn III second option. It changes the way the AF works dramatically and I believe is the source of many peoples frustrations with the 1D MkIII AF, though the 1Ds MkIII never suffered as much because the frame rate is so much slower.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi wsmith.
Thanks, I'm still culling from Goodwood, I took the 1DsIII on Saturday, and the 7DII on Sunday, did about 650 shots on the 1, I found one that I PP'd whilst away as I really liked it, posted here.
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=18814.msg656385#msg656385

Cheers, Graham.

wsmith96 said:
Congrats on the "new to you" camera, Graham! Looking forward to some pics.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi PBD.
I have looked at the USB cable bits, the holder and the cover, I can get get these bits quite cheaply, I didn't realise that the ACK-E4 came in the box, but I can't actually see a big need for it based on how well the battery lasted me for the day. I also don't recall the last time I put a USB in to a camera to download anything, I did try the 7DII with the strain relief bracket just to see how it worked, other end was never connected! :)
I looked at the AI Servo tracking sensitivity and turned it up a bit, not sure that was the right thing for cars on a circuit, but the AF impressed none the less.

Cheers, Graham.

privatebydesign said:
The 1DS MkIII is the best value for money camera you can buy with a Canon badge on it.

When new it came with an alloy knob that held the USB cable holder in and the dummy battery/AC adapter kit (ACK-E4 AC Adapter Kit), it also came with two USB cables, a short one and a 9' one. The USB cables have a block on the end that fits the holder and very few other USB cables fit it right, though the Tethertools 15' one does, sort of.

I am still using mine as the truth is I just haven't found a compelling reason to change them yet. One AF setting really worth playing with a lot is the AI Servo tracking sensitivity, C.Fn III second option. It changes the way the AF works dramatically and I believe is the source of many peoples frustrations with the 1D MkIII AF, though the 1Ds MkIII never suffered as much because the frame rate is so much slower.

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
Always loved the 1DsMKIII but with the 5DMKIII being new on SLRHut for £1650 (which is where I got mine many years ago) I think I would take it everyday. Unless the 1D was stupidly cheap. http://slrhut.co.uk/product/ID982C5/5260B002_Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-Digital-Camera-_Body-Only_-/

As you know I shoot similar subjects to you Graham and had the 5DMKIII in yellow weather warnings with torrential rain for 6+ hours, tropical rainforrests for weeks, extremely dry desserts and not had issues.

When I was considering the 5D I wrote a vs thread against the 1D and 5D and most people said 5 over 1 because its faster in operation, higher ISO is better apart from 100 but its very close. 3200 and above is day and night and with racing I'm sure as you know once you get later in the day or its cloudy getting up to 1600 is pretty easy if you want to stop motion. Very similar dynamic range, hugely superior AF, screen resolution, auto ISO, faster and longer burst rates, does it have live view? cant remember etc etc Its also a heavy camera and at still get 1000 images out of a battery on the 5 although the rate does go down under 50%. Like you I use 2 cameras when I'm shooting 7DMKII and 5DMKIII and when you've got one with a big lensand another camera with a more standard lens and a backpack full of lenses and provisions shooting 6+ hours a day can get really tiring really quickly.

For controlled portraiture I would say 1D because the colour is beautiful and you can use it low in the ISO but for motorsport... and documentation there are better cameras now a days at very good prices.

I couldn't find a compelling reason to buy one apart from the fact it a 1 series. I used to love using grips but never use them now, don't have a need for them. Especially in motorsport, don't often shoot portrait and if the bat gets lower than 50 I just swap it out.

Quick difference overview.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-vs-Canon_EOS-1Ds_Mark_III/detailed

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Tom.
If I was earning with my camera I would get a 5DIII or maybe even the 5DIV, as it is when I got the 7DII bought for me I was told no more new cameras for a while. To get the 1DsIII I have to sell my 5D and 7D and if they go for the market price (which they should, both are in great condition and the 7D I know to be in the lower shutter count range) I should only need to add a few quid to cover the new 'toy'.
I think I got the camera for a steal at £750 despite the missing bits, it was traded in by a customer known to the reputable shop so is not burning my fingers. ;D
Yes it does have liveview shooting available but has no AF and unlike the 40D it does not even have the ability to flip the mirror and phase AF.
Yes it is easy to get up in the ISO, the shot of the Camaro was ISO 1000 and with the camera maxing out at 1600 apart from the 'H' setting (artificially pushed ISO 1600?) it may be a problem but hey ho the shot can get taken and pushed with DxO and binned if it is crap! :)
Yes it is heavy, but I'm sure I could tell the difference in the AF speed over the 7DII. Of course that could just be me subconsciously justifying a purchase! :eek: ;D
Yes they can get tiresome, but I don't carry a backpack any more, I just carry the bodies on the blackrapid sling with the 70-200 f2.8 L II on one, 100-400L II on the other, a 1.4X III in one pocket and a standard zoom either Σ17-70 or now 24-105 f4 depending on the pockets!
Provisions, food and drink? We are out for a jolley and that is part of it though if I were working I would probably pack that too due to the cost at these sorts of venues.
Thanks for the comparison link, very interesting.

Cheers, Graham.

tomscott said:
Always loved the 1DsMKIII but with the 5DMKIII being new on SLRHut for £1650 (which is where I got mine many years ago) I think I would take it everyday. Unless the 1D was stupidly cheap. http://slrhut.co.uk/product/ID982C5/5260B002_Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-Digital-Camera-_Body-Only_-/

As you know I shoot similar subjects to you Graham and had the 5DMKIII in yellow weather warnings with torrential rain for 6+ hours, tropical rainforrests for weeks, extremely dry desserts and not had issues.

When I was considering the 5D I wrote a vs thread against the 1D and 5D and most people said 5 over 1 because its faster in operation, higher ISO is better apart from 100 but its very close. 3200 and above is day and night and with racing I'm sure as you know once you get later in the day or its cloudy getting up to 1600 is pretty easy if you want to stop motion. Very similar dynamic range, hugely superior AF, screen resolution, auto ISO, faster and longer burst rates, does it have live view? cant remember etc etc Its also a heavy camera and at still get 1000 images out of a battery on the 5 although the rate does go down under 50%. Like you I use 2 cameras when I'm shooting 7DMKII and 5DMKIII and when you've got one with a big lensand another camera with a more standard lens and a backpack full of lenses and provisions shooting 6+ hours a day can get really tiring really quickly.

For controlled portraiture I would say 1D because the colour is beautiful and you can use it low in the ISO but for motorsport... and documentation there are better cameras now a days at very good prices.

I couldn't find a compelling reason to buy one apart from the fact it a 1 series. I used to love using grips but never use them now, don't have a need for them. Especially in motorsport, don't often shoot portrait and if the bat gets lower than 50 I just swap it out.

Quick difference overview.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-vs-Canon_EOS-1Ds_Mark_III/detailed

Upvote 0