Review: Canon XC10 With Footage

Hi lettherightlensin

Let me pick up on a couple of points you critique...

Comparable cost.. from the same starting point.. what BMD takes canon batteries out of the box sorry?

Workable AF... I wouldn't know. I never use AF for video. I was speaking about all these photographers who think 'how hard can video be, I think i'll call myself a dop this week, oh, MF?'

ML interface... the intervalometer on the M is absolute pain, the audio on the 60d an absolute pain.

Journalist camera... where did I say print journalist? What newspapers have video in their printed copy? C'mon man.

XLR audio adaptors.. my tascam dr-60d does a good job, and crucially gives me a duplicate recording (with dual mono audio at different levels, very useful) but... its an extra box to carry, assemble, connect (connects can go wrong, so fewer the better) hit record on, forget to hit SLATE on (rather than say one integrated file) and carry a half kilo of AA's around with you... I use them, and the tascam is better than the beachteks I used to use.. but still a right royal pain the ash, give me designed in pro audio anyday.

Focus peaking as standard... ok, let canon add it. Happy now? Great for those slow aperture kit lenses with the tiny quarter turn undeamprned focus ring that you need tweasers to grasp. I suppose much like ECF and A-DEP, folk don't actually ave to use it, so, yeah, put it in.

Upvote 0
Tinky said:
...what BMD takes canon batteries out of the box sorry?

I'm not LetTheRightLensIn, but:

Micro Cinema (HD) $995:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicmicrocinemacamera

Micro Studio (4K, camera head) $1295:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicmicrostudiocamera4k

Video Assist HD Recorder (Will scale 4K to HD) $495:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicvideoassist

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
Johnnie said:
Tugela said:
Cinema5D are not the most objective reviewers around, but they do like Canon, so if they are being critical it is pretty telling.

Hi Tugela. Johnnie from cinema5D here.

Thank you for taking the time watching the review and commenting.

Will appreciate if you link me to any of my "non objective reviews".
We work hard to serve the community with what we believe is an objective reviews based on our professional knowledge and experience!

Thank you again!

Johnnie

Well, since you insist.

Read the review of the 7DII here http://www.cinema5d.com/exclusive-canon-7d-mii-beta-quality-review-footage/. This is not an ideal camera for video, and there is no way it can be commended. I don't own the camera, but have owned Canon DSLRs and camcorders in the past, so I have a reasonable idea of what the 7DII can do based on its specs and online samples. Whatever the merits of the 7D2 are as a still camera, and they are many, as a video camera it is markedly dated.

On the other hand look at the review of the NX1 here http://www.cinema5d.com/lab-review-samsung-nx1-video-mode-frustrating/. I happen to own this camera, and while it is not perfect it is better than any other hybrid out there, and is probably the current reference mark that newer hybrid products should be compared against. But you wouldn't think so reading Sebastian Wöber's comments. His conclusion is that "I would not recommend it for video shooting". Really??? That flies in the face of most every other review out there, and is contrary to the experience of just about everyone who shoots with the camera. I don't know what his problem is, but he is way off the mark for no apparent good reason. Reading his review I seriously wondered if he had the same camera as me, or even had the camera at all.

That is what I mean about "not the most objective reviewers around". Your reviews speak for themselves. If your site is going to post stuff that is completely out of whack like that, don't be surprised if readers take your opinions with a large pinch of salt.

Upvote 0
Hi Tugela

Regarding the Canon 7D mII. I'm surprised you are commenting about a camera you never touched or filmed with. It is a decent camera producing a decent looking video. No more and no less.

Regarding the NX1. Based on our review (and feedback gathered from other users), Samsung addressed some of the issues we found. The camera is now better then the time we've tested it. Mind you that what Sebastian did was a LAB review and not an actual "visual review" (like the one I did with the Canon 7D mII). Amazing as it might sound, with some cameras "LAB numbers" and "footage look" show different stories. (The NX1 is a perfect example of it).

Anyway. I'm not here to "change your mind" or "defend" my reviews. All I can say, we are doing our best to serve the community with early footage and decent opinion based on our knowledge and experience as working professionals. Some will appreciate it, while others like you will take the freedom to question our credibility and treat it with a "large pinch of salt".

BTW, if you have any footage taken with your NX1, you are welcome to share it in our VIDEOLOG.
People always appreciate seeing good looking footage done with what ever camera!.

Thank you!

Johnnie

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Cat fight LOL. Anyway Cinema 5D. Let me buy that that c300 MKII used after you review it.

Johnnie said:
Hi Tugela

Regarding the Canon 7D mII. I'm surprised you are commenting about a camera you never touched or filmed with. It is a decent camera producing a decent looking video. No more and no less.

Regarding the NX1. Based on our review (and feedback gathered from other users), Samsung addressed some of the issues we found. The camera is now better then the time we've tested it. Mind you that what Sebastian did was a LAB review and not an actual "visual review" (like the one I did with the Canon 7D mII). Amazing as it might sound, with some cameras "LAB numbers" and "footage look" show different stories. (The NX1 is a perfect example of it).

Anyway. I'm not here to "change your mind" or "defend" my reviews. All I can say, we are doing our best to serve the community with early footage and decent opinion based on our knowledge and experience as working professionals. Some will appreciate it, while others like you will take the freedom to question our credibility and treat it with a "large pinch of salt".

BTW, if you have any footage taken with your NX1, you are welcome to share it in our VIDEOLOG.
People always appreciate seeing good looking footage done with what ever camera!.

Thank you!

Johnnie

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
Johnnie said:
Hi Tugela

Thank you!

Johnnie

As I said, not the most objective reviewers around. I am glad that you agree.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
Johnnie said:
Tugela

You have a strange way of interpreting answers....No wonder we look "not the most objective" to you....

Your reviews speak for themselves dude. What more can I say? IMO you don't get it and are not interested in admitting that perhaps your site may have dropped the ball on a few occasions, for reasons best known to yourself. The rest of us can only guess your motivations but it is not that important since the pinch of salt has been cast and is now history.

And it is not just me by the way, most people who have used the NX1 think your associate's review was way off base. The general consensus is that among enthusiast ILCs for video the GH4/NX1 share top spot, with the A7s close. Those are followed by Nikon and only then by Canon. If someone buys an enthusiast ILC with an eye to shooting video, they are probably not going to choose a Canon if they are well informed. What is generally considered 5th best in the class shouldn't be getting a kindly review while the best gets panned. Is that objectivity at work?

Upvote 0
LOALTD said:
Phenix205 said:
Canon's flop may actually benefit the consumers if the price drops significantly, just like the EOS-M, which was way overpriced initially but ended up as a great compact and CHEAP APS-C camera.

+1

I love my EOS-M (for $250)

And I would love one of these! (for $500)

Haha this is a great silver lining :p

Upvote 0
It's nice to see a dedicated 4k camcorder from Canon (as in one of with a mp count closer to its resolution capability, in a sort-of-camcorder form factor, and less pricey than the EOS Cinema cameras) and really there's hardly a glut of 4k camcorders with sensors this large (in dimensions, I mean) at a reasonable price point.

But still: my impression is that action shooters might want a more rugged build quality and enthusiasts and student videographers might want an interchangeable lens camera.

I personally would have liked to have seen an ef-m mount camcorder (with a 4 or 8mp sensor) at roughly that price point. Clearly it wouldn't have all the pro level features of a C100+ (a super 35 sensor, recording to 4:2:2 or uncompressed codecs without an external recorder, xlr inputs, etc) but it would help to promote the ef-m mount (why use a reflex mount when you have a mirrorless one?) and probably have better image processing than the Blackmagic Cinema Camera (which looks considerably more attractive in that general price range).

Upvote 0

StenR

Writer and zero-budget filmmaker
I would buy it for the low-light abilities,and the all-in-one approach of course. I don't mind having a non-constant aperture zoom as I don't zoom when recording, but a dedicated ISO wheel would have been good.

There's a impressive demo film up on Vimeo with all its gimbal shots made with the XC10:
https://vimeo.com/127149178

Upvote 0
StenR said:
I don't mind having a non-constant aperture zoom as I don't zoom when recording

I don't zoom either during a record, unless I'm using a camera with a mechanical rampable servo zoom (such as an ENG) but I do have a trio of f2.8s which is my go to shooting kit, covering 11mm-200mm on my aps-c cameras.

The trouble with f-drop is not just zooming, but shot matching.

If you start off wide and at say f2.8, then zoom a bit, zoom a bit more, your shutter really should be constant, your aperture cannot because of f-drop, so your iso has to change. Maybe not so big a deal skipping between iso100 and iso 400 to compensate in good light... not so good when skipping between iso800 and iso3200 in lower light... I'm in the habit of keeping iso/gain constant within a scene, and generally as low as possible.

Upvote 0
I really want to like this camera, it does have it's pro's. But it also has, in my opinion, some unnecessary con's.

- I can live with an integrated lens. And even I'm not thrilled about it, I can probably learn to live with it being a full two stop difference at the wide and tele end.
- I like that they put an ND filter in it. Anyone know what strength it is?
- Don't like the negative comments about the viewfinder loupe not being any good. Kinda crossing my fingers that those were pre-production models and that it has been improved.
- Also don't like the comments about lack of external controls and assignable buttons.
- From the looks of it, they don't include a charger for the battery. Really Canon? Not that I don't already have one but still...
- The US site list an included 64GB CFast card and a card reader. The Norwegian site don't. I just emailed them asking if they include it or not. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't. CFast is REALLY expensive in Norway. A 128GB Lexar 3400x CFast 2.0 card in the US cost $314.99 from B&H, which is already a bit much for 128GB of storage. But hold onto your hats. The lowest price I have found in Norway is equal to US$941.61!

So this is where I don't really understand it. Canon say it's for professionals, but they hesitate to include features that professionals expect to find in such a camera. Then they say it's for consumers, but the media cost is sky high. I don't know any consumer that would buy a camera and pay the same price again for two memory cards.

So, that's my little rant about this camera. Just because I really want to like it. :)

*EDIT: Canon Norway replied to me. CFast card and card reader is NOT included for us. ???
*EDIT 2: There is one dealer that is offering a package deal with a 128GB CFast 2.0 card + card reader (brands not stated) at a price point equal to what it is selling for in the US. So yay I guess.

Upvote 0