RF 100-500 Availability

Just curious to hear if anybody has ordered the RF 100-500 recently (2021)? It seems this is on back-order everywhere, and the few posts I can find suggest that B&H, Adorama, Amazon, are sold out/backordered with Canon's store also on a soft backorder.

Placed my order from B&H the other day and just wondering how many week (or months?) I might expect to be waiting.

Thanks for the info - most results on this topic are from 2020. Was only able to locate a lone Reddit post from weeks ago where the OP is still waiting on their order. This is my first "big" lens purchase so guess I was surprised to learn of the wait. I've been following the chip shortage closely as I'm big into tech, but wasn't aware that it would impact lenses as much... I suppose those USM motors and other mechanicals don't power themselves, do they?

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Just curious to hear if anybody has ordered the RF 100-500 recently (2021)? It seems this is on back-order everywhere, and the few posts I can find suggest that B&H, Adorama, Amazon, are sold out/backordered with Canon's store also on a soft backorder.

Placed my order from B&H the other day and just wondering how many week (or months?) I might expect to be waiting.
Canon Price Watch just ended a street price special on backorders for the lens. The retailer he was dealing with said the orders would be filled in about four weeks.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Thanks for the info - most results on this topic are from 2020. Was only able to locate a lone Reddit post from weeks ago where the OP is still waiting on their order. This is my first "big" lens purchase so guess I was surprised to learn of the wait. I've been following the chip shortage closely as I'm big into tech, but wasn't aware that it would impact lenses as much... I suppose those USM motors and other mechanicals don't power themselves, do they?
I suppose that ICs for communication between lens and body and AF calculation are also involved - even more IMO.
Not only the "power" semi conductors to drive the AF motor ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Just wanted to provide an update on RF 100-500 availability. Canon's website shows in stock (everybody else shows back-ordered) so I placed an order... only to find that it is actually back-ordered through them as well. I was told that their website sometimes incorrectly shows product as "in stock" when it is not.

The supervisor I spoke with (they ended up taking an order, having website problems, and charging my credit card without showing any order/transaction, and were trying to track that down) said he sees restock every month or so in a quantity of "a handful of lenses." That isn't an entirely accurate representation on availability, but seems to match up with other posts online of people waiting 4+ weeks for their B&H orders. The man did say "he wished they'd make more of them" since demand seemed quite high compared to availability.

Hope this helps anybody else who is also waiting on their RF 100-500. :)

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020

Available outside the US. Prices vary. Got mine yesterday with a 15% official + personal 5% rebate bringing the price below current US retail price.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Seems a batch of them arrived in the US about a week ago and went to Canon USA and several distributors.

Canon’s online store listed them as in stock, briefly.

B&H shipped some, but evidently their recent allotment wasn’t enough to cover their backorder queue.

Amazon listed the lens as In Stock Soon a couple weeks ago, I placed an order on 8/15, and my 100-500 arrived yesterday.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
On August 3, I processed an order through B&H for the Canon RF 100-500. As of today, 8/26, it’s still on backorder and out of stock. I wish I knew where I was in their lineup. Anyone have insight to this process?
I ordered two, one for myself and one for my wife, in May from B&H. They arrived on Monday. Best Buy shows them in stock. There is hope.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Best Buy shows them in stock.
Yes, still available. Probably few backordered and not somewhere most people look for high-end lenses so their allotment has lasted longer.

A few weeks ago, I wanted to buy the EF-RF drop-in filter adapter, and no where I thought to check had either flavor. Google informed me that Red had them (only the vND version, which makes sense). I called and confirmed they really had them, and placed an order.

Upvote 0
Seems a batch of them arrived in the US about a week ago and went to Canon USA and several distributors.

Canon’s online store listed them as in stock, briefly.

B&H shipped some, but evidently their recent allotment wasn’t enough to cover their backorder queue.

Amazon listed the lens as In Stock Soon a couple weeks ago, I placed an order on 8/15, and my 100-500 arrived yesterday.

Good luck!
Wow, congrats! And thanks for your in depth insight. I will keep my fingers crossed that I’m close to the finish line. Glad to hear that they are making progress on shipments.

Upvote 0

jdwusami

CR Pro
Sep 11, 2020
Still waiting on my B&H order. They just sent me an email saying they don't know when it will ship and that they are not going to increase the price of a product I purchased months ago. "Canon has implemented a price increase on this item effective 9/1/2021 affecting all shipments as of this date. Normally, a price increase would result in an adjustment to our selling price. However, in appreciation for your business and your patience, despite the price change, B&H will honor your original purchase price."

Upvote 0

rjc1247

CR Pro
May 14, 2016
Still waiting on my B&H order. They just sent me an email saying they don't know when it will ship and that they are not going to increase the price of a product I purchased months ago. "Canon has implemented a price increase on this item effective 9/1/2021 affecting all shipments as of this date. Normally, a price increase would result in an adjustment to our selling price. However, in appreciation for your business and your patience, despite the price change, B&H will honor your original purchase price."
Just got the same update (y)

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
After requesting RF100-500 stock notice from B&H, four months went by and every two weeks they notified me, "Sorry, we still don't have inventory and don't know when we will." So, while I didn't want to, saw Canon's on line store had ten of them and ordered one." Rec'd four days after direct order placed with Canon. Then, removed item from my B&H notification request list. Even though I ordered one direct, I still don't think it's right for Canon to be selling new lenses while their merchants' orders remain unfilled. Refurbs, okay....

Upvote 0