RF 24-240mm f/4-6.3 IS USM

Feb 5, 2020
Those came out rather nice - what were your exposure settings?
Thanks. I shot most between 24 and 35mm as we were right under them. F/11, ISO 100 in bulb mode. I was on a tripod with IS off using a corded shutter release. Anywhere from 5 to 15 seconds depending on what I saw. I also had long exposure noise reduction turned on, which meant an equal pause to exposure time between shots as the camera takes a closed shutter shot to eliminate sensor noise. I processed in DPP4 and had downloaded Canon’s picture style editor earlier. So instead of the standard picture profiles, I applied the “Twilight” profile that came with the style editor with AWB - Ambience Priority. A quick gamma adjustment, then remove any shadow lifting. And done. :cool: Oh yeah. Cropped to 5x4 or 4x5 ratio as appropriate.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Son-in-law asked for some photos of his bike race today, an hour long criterium. R6 and RF24-240 did great - I used the entire focal range and had very few out of focus (even though I haven't upgraded the firmware yet). The 1DX2 stayed in the car - it would have required a few lens changes. Overcast day, but I'm pretty pleased with the results for my first sports event with this combo.

DMR68822-2.jpg DMR68967-2.jpg
DMR69073-2.jpg DMR69156-2.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Nice. Is this with the cameras built in corrections being applied? (Just noticed a bit more CA than I'd have expected reducing sharpness with the built in profiles and post processing black magic the camera does for this lens.)
These are RAWs processed in DxO PL5 using some global settings across all images for the lighting to create 50% proofs. I didn't take the time to go back and clean up the individual images other than some cropping. I'm waiting to hear which images they would like to print or use online.

Camera settings included Auto Lighting Optimizer Medium, Picture Style Fine Detail, Clarity +1, Peripheral illum corr ON, Digital Lens Optimizer standard. So it looks like I modified two of them.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0