right now i am not happy to be a canon user

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Freelancer

i want a second FF camera as backup body for some time.

i checked lowest prices on the internet the last two days.
and i must say im not happy to be a canon user at the moment.

why?

because i think canon gear is way overprized.
well that´s nothing new but right now it hurts me.

i can get a D800 for 2289 euro from a big and reputed reseller here in germany (from some smaller shops it´s as low as 2150 euro).

for the 6D i have to pay around 2000 euro and the 5D MK3 cost around 2800 euro.

especially the 6D is way to expensive compared to both the D600 and D800 (the D600 cost around 1599).

i don´t even get a new 5D MK2 for 1599 euro.

canon must be a happy company to be able to sell the cameras, even at these prices, to it´s loyal customers.

i am dreaming when i expect huge price drops in the coming months?

im very curious to see sales numbers for both nikon and canon from the 4 quartal 2012.
the D600 looks like a steal.

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
Check out DigitalRev, Bought my 5DMKIII with 24-105mm lens kit for £2500. Body only its £1995.

It comes with a year warranty too so no worries, and a returns policy.

All prices include import tax, to the UK anyway may be the same with Germany. Pretty significant saving of £500 just for the camera. Was here in two days VIA DHL fantastic service with good communication. Would deftly use them again.

Upvote 0
+1 on digital rev
5Dmkiii £ 1995
6D £1568
D600 £1199 [limited 1 day offer/usual price is £1250]
D800 £1869

The nikkon D600 is an amazing price, a whole lot cheaper than the canons. Whilst I'm thinking of getting one myself, I'v noticed that you generally pay a bit more for the nikon lenses. Probably ok if your only getting 2 or 3 but any more and I think the saving on the body will start to disappear. Indeed, this seems to be nikons strategy: cheap bodies and make the money on lenses.

Upvote 0
and...I would understand if your pay for a camera which works flawlessly. Unfortunately I bought my in May, and so far, several European service actions hasn't fixes mine. Service in Germany even completely blocked one of my ,almost new, L lens. No one is willing to exchange the camera for a new one. I own 5 lenses (4 Ls) and that's why I cannot be happy with Canon. Paid really a lot for the brand new, faulty body, without good working AF, so I feel like I just waste my money right now. I completely agree that Canon is too expensive relatively, but mine was the most expensive camera I had ever bought. I wanted to buy some new lens next year but I just cant. Trust me-that is a real reason to be unhappy with Canon, the will just left you with faulty body if you are unlucky. The issue and the whole case is not only my problem as there are also 3 other professional photographers on the local most known Canon forum, who have the same problem with Canon. We have been just completely left with faulty gear. So my advice is double or triple check otherwise service will not help you in some cases.

Upvote 0
H

Hobby Shooter

verysimplejason said:
You live in a different side of the world... :( Here in Malaysia, Canon cameras are priced at almost the same price of Nikon. Sometimes they're even cheaper. How about gray?
I'm from Europe but live in Southeast Asia, where I live the 5D3 is 2850 currently as direct import from Singapore, the D800 goes for 3500 in the Nikon showroom store (the 5D3 3500 also), not sure what the lowest price for D800 is though as I haven't looked for Nikon's lowest prices.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Ok, you're unhappy. As I see it, you have four options:

• Buy a Canon FF body and pay what Canon charges
  • Buy two Nikon FF bodies and a set of lenses (because a Nikon body can't be 'a backup' to a Canon body). How are the Nikon counterparts to your current lenses/flashes in terms of quality/price? Also, is the total cost of selling your Canon gear and switching to Nikon, in terms of money and time, really going to save you money?
  • Buy a Canon APS-C body, less expensive, works with all your lenses/flashes
  • Post about your unhappiness on an Internet forum and do nothing

So far, you've tried #4. How's it working out for you? Does this thread take good pictures as a backup FF body? At least, it's free, so now you're getting exactly what you're paying for...that should make you happy, right? ;)

Point is, complaining here isn't going to do anything for you, except facilitate wallowing in your own unhappiness. Make a choice, act on it.

Upvote 0
Freelancer said:
Sith Zombie said:
The nikkon D600 is an amazing price, a whole lot cheaper than the canons. Whilst I'm thinking of getting one myself, I'v noticed that you generally pay a bit more for the nikon lenses. Probably ok if your only getting 2 or 3 but any more and I think the saving on the body will start to disappear. Indeed, this seems to be nikons strategy: cheap bodies and make the money on lenses.

aehhm... have you noticed the price of the new canon lenses?

yes you get 20 year old canon lens designs for a good price .. i agree.
but i don´t see nikon beeing more expensive on new lens designs.

but maybe that´s a question of the country you live in too.

Obviously the newer stuff is more expensive like the 24-70 ii compared to nikons 24-70, but the old model was always a bit cheaper than nikons. I find that in the UK at least, comparing equivalent lenses that are a few years old, the nikons are generally slightly more expensive but like you pointed out, this will probably vary from country to country

Upvote 0
Try checking the prices in Switzerland. It's cheaper than in Europe. The 5DMKIII is about 2400-2500€ and the 6D is 1500-1600€.
Europe is quite expensive when it comes to electronic devices, we are quite lucky in Switzerland as we have fairly "better" pricing, somewhat closer to USA's pricing.

Otherwise, as said Neuro, you might want to check your options. Complaining on a forum about pricing surely won't change much… If you don't have much glass, why not switching to Nikon? If you do have a lot of glass and only want a backup body, why not looking at used bodies on ebay? 2nd hand 5DMKIIs can be found quite cheap on the web.

Or why not wait for the prices to come down a bit? The 5DMKIII has been around for less than a year and its price has already dropped! I bought my 5DMKIII about 3-4months ago for almost 300€ more than what it can be found now.

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012
Freelancer said:

im very curious to see sales numbers for both nikon and canon from the 4 quartal 2012.
the D600 looks like a steal.

If you think it's a steal, and if you're willing to risk having to deal with the dust/oil problem that's evidently been plaguing the D600 (and may account for the recent massive reduction in its price), why not sell your Canon equipment and buy a couple of D600s?

Upvote 0
C

ChilledXpress

Freelancer said:

i checked lowest prices on the internet the last two days.
and i must say im not happy to be a canon user at the moment.

why?

because i think canon gear is way overprized.
well that´s nothing new but right now it hurts me.

I feel the same way about Ducati... Evil company they won't lower the price for me and they are happily making money!!!! Those greedy bastards!!! I do have three cars and two other motorcycles but I sooo want a third bike, and it has to be a Superbike 1199 Panigale R. Strangely the Ducati Rumors forum has little sympathy for me. Booo hoooo hooo....

So as a Loyal Canon customer... you're ready to jump ship for Nikon. Loyal Canon customer. Loyal Canon customer? Loyal Canon customer?!?!?!

You "want" not "need".... People need food and shelter or they die. You want a second camera because... You're going to die if you don't have one? Such a desperate want. So now you come here to vent about your first world problem. Calling Canon a horrible company because they won't give their products away and/or your countries taxing system makes the cost prohibitively high.

If you can't afford it... then don't buy it. It is called living within your means and it's not Canons fault if you can't or won't spend the money to pick up a second body.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.