Ruined photo, or rescue opportunity?

35mm Film said:
I’ll have a look for you too but I don’t think I can do much more then what’s already been done. I feel for you but I feel for the couple more. I don't know your background but it might help if you follow a wedding photographer for a couple of weddings and even do some study or just stick to your day job. Did you charge the couple for this and do they know you are amateur photographer? I know some people say the best way to learn is to shoot lots, but you run the risk of running you name into the ground if you keep up with pictures like this. It’s not just the shadows that’s bad there are people’s heads that you can’t even see. I encourage people around me normally and I hate to be a stick in the mud.

Ha ouch! Good thing I have a day job, eh? My background is I've been in the automotive industry for 9 years and playing around with photography for about that long. I am no professional, and this was my second wedding. My first was for a friend who wasn't even going to have a photographer because of money issues, I never asked to be paid since I've never done anything like that. This wedding again everyone knew I'm no professional and as far as I understood they didn't want to pay premium for professional either and they said they enjoyed my photos and style from the previous wedding I did. I didnt ask to be paid for this either because I wasn't sure if should charge anything. i suppose its a good thing I didnt cash the check they gave me. Everything was running behind and it was a out 15-20 minutes prior to the ceremony when the group photos began. Yea I screwed up in the hustle, I guess I could stick to my day job but seriously car business isn't as fun or rewarding as you might think, so I will learn and do better next time. Thanks to everyone taking a look at the photo and giving me advice how to fix it. I greatly appreciate the members on this forum.

Upvote 0
Oh and I would love to follow a photographer around and learn, so any help there I would appreciate. How do I find one to mentor me, I know I started a thread on here about it and I found one that took me to a bike race which was fun! But I'd love to learn even more so any advice how how to find someone that would let me follow them would be great.

Upvote 0
kennephoto said:
35mm Film said:
I’ll have a look for you too but I don’t think I can do much more then what’s already been done. I feel for you but I feel for the couple more. I don't know your background but it might help if you follow a wedding photographer for a couple of weddings and even do some study or just stick to your day job. Did you charge the couple for this and do they know you are amateur photographer? I know some people say the best way to learn is to shoot lots, but you run the risk of running you name into the ground if you keep up with pictures like this. It’s not just the shadows that’s bad there are people’s heads that you can’t even see. I encourage people around me normally and I hate to be a stick in the mud.
Ha ouch! Good thing I have a day job, eh? My background is I've been in the automotive industry for 9 years and playing around with photography for about that long. I am no professional, and this was my second wedding. My first was for a friend who wasn't even going to have a photographer because of money issues, I never asked to be paid since I've never done anything like that. This wedding again everyone knew I'm no professional and as far as I understood they didn't want to pay premium for professional either and they said they enjoyed my photos and style from the previous wedding I did. I didnt ask to be paid for this either because I wasn't sure if should charge anything. i suppose its a good thing I didnt cash the check they gave me. Everything was running behind and it was a out 15-20 minutes prior to the ceremony when the group photos began. Yea I screwed up in the hustle, I guess I could stick to my day job but seriously car business isn't as fun or rewarding as you might think, so I will learn and do better next time. Thanks to everyone taking a look at the photo and giving me advice how to fix it. I greatly appreciate the members on this forum.

Hi Kennephoto:

Don't feel so bad. You came here to ask for help and thats what we should do. No one should judge you or tell you that you did somthing horrible. We all make mistakes, we learn from it and we move on. For a seasoned pro, that pic would not be a success... no 2 ways about it, however.... People either get paid based on a product they provide (deliverable) or time and expense. Time and exp is cheaper for the customer but there are few guarantees of a proper deliverable, though with Good faith, it is implied.

I think you should cash the check since you did make an effort... especially if the check was less than what a pro would have charged them. They got what they paid for. I too feel a bit bad for them, but I also feel that you spent time/effort and probably gave them several memories to Cherish...

Learn from this, take good advice from this group of nice helpers and don't feel bad. ;)

Upvote 0
dirtcastle said:
It's a good idea to check your big group shots while you're shooting, to look for problems like this. Of course, equipment failure has only one solution: backup equipment.

To be fair, it really hit him where he didn't see it coming because he was probably looking through the vf when the flashes fired - or failed to do so. But good to learn from this myself and watch out for this possibility.

Concerning the occluded faces: I recently saw a pro shoot a wedding, and he also just took a couple of shots of a (admittedly much larger) group, some faces are bound to be not visible if there's no assistant around to watch out for this or if the group is in a hurry (buffet's ready!). It really depends on the $$$ paid what to expect and what is just "nice, but optional".

Upvote 0
This is where a mastery of Photoshop comes into play. You can only do this kind of retouching with layers in PS. You then create layers and adjust them to whatever level of realism looks best to you. Each layer attacks some part of the problem. Some small amount of retouching in the darker areas around the right eye to create a new eyelid and roll off some of the shadow above the right brow. Total time in PS: less than 5 minutes. More time, more layers, better job. Good luck

Attachments

• Wedding.jpg
    Wedding.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,034
Upvote 0
K-amps said:
kennephoto said:
35mm Film said:

Hi Kennephoto:

Don't feel so bad. You came here to ask for help and thats what we should do. No one should judge you or tell you that you did somthing horrible. We all make mistakes, we learn from it and we move on. For a seasoned pro, that pic would not be a success... no 2 ways about it, however.... People either get paid based on a product they provide (deliverable) or time and expense. Time and exp is cheaper for the customer but there are few guarantees of a proper deliverable, though with Good faith, it is implied.

I think you should cash the check since you did make an effort... especially if the check was less than what a pro would have charged them. They got what they paid for. I too feel a bit bad for them, but I also feel that you spent time/effort and probably gave them several memories to Cherish...

Learn from this, take good advice from this group of nice helpers and don't feel bad. ;)

Well thanks Kamps, in my opinion this photo is the worst and or the only one that was a huge error on my part. The other group photos were smaller and more spaced out and turned out well. I should have arranged everyone differently but there was someone else barking out orders and rushing this along. I have a lot of photos I am very pleased with how they turned out, almost 150 so far. How much do Pros charge for weddings typically?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
kennephoto said:
How much do Pros charge for weddings typically?
That's easy - $100 to $10000 :) ... but with nearly no experience $25-$50 per actual shooting hour might be imho ok, depending on the equipment you carry.

Look here: http://photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/?category=First+Timer+and+Newcomers+to+Wedding+Photog.

Thanks Marsu42 I will look there but based on your figures you gave then thats what I was offered, so that makes me feel better.

Upvote 0
kennephoto said:
Thanks Marsu42 I will look there but based on your figures you gave then thats what I was offered, so that makes me feel better.

... but I have to mention the prices depend much on your local competition, too, so the main factor for a beginner should really be to take some money just to appear "pro" though actually these shots should be done for free given the experience gained. If the clients are happy and you didn't ruin your reputation that's the most important thing you can't buy for money.

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
kennephoto said:

... but I have to mention the prices depend much on your local competition, too, so the main factor for a beginner should really be to take some money just to appear "pro" though actually these shots should be done for free given the experience gained. If the clients are happy and you didn't ruin your reputation that's the most important thing you can't buy for money.

Thats all very true as well. Good point, I will take that to heart and let her decide what she thinks. I didn't ask for money at either wedding I shot.

Upvote 0
IMO, the money is irrelevant. The responsibility is on the wedding planner. They pick the photographer. If you screw up the shots, they have only themselves to blame. When people go cheap they are taking a huge risk. But this does provide a valuable learning opportunity to an upstart wedding photographer like yourself. Plus, this shot here is salvageable, so don't sweat it.

Upvote 0
L

lukaszb

Just wanted to share my advice. I started doing weddings few years ago and started doing it with a local photographer. To find a studio that will take you on in any capacity is challenging. I think out of 30 I called and emailed 29 told me no. Most of them insisted that they either have someone already or they exclusively shoot alone and don't need anyone that they need to mentor. But there was one guy with whom I shot for one year for free. I don't agree with everything he does, but it was a good learning experience. Right now I shoot alone.

If you want to do traditional weddings research some books and look through wedding magazines/web sites. I would highly recommend looking into David Ziser books (Captured by the light is the title i think). The book actually shows you how to arrange for group shots.

Upvote 0
You must have other shots of this guy right? Even better, do you have shots of him from the same position you are in now from before your flash failed? If you don't have that, even one where the shadow isn't as dark could be fixed up and used in place of the current "head." I just ask because a well done replacement would look more natural then what you would likely get from trying to brighten the original head. Do you have a shot like what I've described that you could also put online?

And grats, I've lurked around this site for a fair while and you made me register. :)

Upvote 0
35mm Film said:
I was a bit rude with my early post. I think you've got a great attitude, your seem down to earth and honnest. I've been there in a situation where Ive stuffed up a family portrait too, it's not nice to bring a picture up and see you've made a mistake.

Thank you! Glad you came back down to earth! And darkmatter I don't know how I got you to register but welcome to a pretty great community. I actually did what you suggested and took others advice, and corrected the photo. I actually heard from the bride and bride's mother both loved the photos I took. They were both very impressed. Thanks again everyone.

Upvote 0

Ryan708

Less bickering, more shooting
Mar 1, 2012
New Hampshire
I shot my first wedding for a friend this summer, same situation as your first wedding was, money issues, so I volunteered. It was a very small wedding, with divorced parents that didnt get along. My group shots weren't the best. Reception was in a small room, so for the cake cutting to have an audiance the bride and groom were pretty much backed against the wall, with a long table infront of them. No good angle. In the end after PP work was all done and I gave them the shots, they were so ecited about how great the shots were and that I am so talented yadda yadda. Im sure they will love them. Also being a mechanic for 9 years i know what it is like to work a whole day for crap-pay. gotta love the family's broken stuff. If they insist you take the money dont hesitate lol.

Upvote 0