john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Picked up my EOS R5 this morning. Tested it outdoors with my 85 mm f1.2L lens on a daylily taken at ISO 100 at f1.2. View attachment 191721

Tested the camera throughly on Friday and Saturday and am absolutely satisfied with the camera. Originally, I was going to order an R6 as a second camera, but I had my local shop change the order to a second R5 camera. I might have to wait a few months for the second one to arrive, but that is fine with me. My only complaint is that the batteries appear to deplete quickly, but I do use a vertical grip and have order additional high capacity batteries arriving Monday.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Tested the camera throughly on Friday and Saturday and am absolutely satisfied with the camera. Originally, I was going to order an R6 as a second camera, but I had my local shop change the order to a second R5 camera. I might have to wait a few months for the second one to arrive, but that is fine with me. My only complaint is that the batteries appear to deplete quickly, but I do use a vertical grip and have order additional high capacity batteries arriving Monday.

The impression I'm getting is that the R6 is likely to be even more of a disappointment than many (not me!) feel the R5 is. Potentially even worse overheating issues, for those whose use cases go heavily into video. So that may have been a good move on your part. I do have a refurb RP on order (it effectively cost me $400 being bundled with a lens I would otherwise have had to pay full boat for); that was too cheap to pass up. I'm not "serious" enough to need two top-line bodies, a lesser body as a backup in case I drop the main camera into a volcano or something is good enough.

Of course, the R5 might just survive the volcano, and laugh in its face. "Heat? You call that heat?" :D

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Here you go. These are all with the 800mm f/11. I posted some osprey shots on Dpreview with the usual range of responses. I posted jpg shots, which it turns out are rather problematic with high-ISO images. Canon has always been rather aggressive in applying noise reduction, so there is more detail gone than I prefer. I prefer to have a slightly noisy image that preserves detail than the smoothness that Canon's jpg engine produces. Thus, at least for me, RAW shooting will be essential.

As for the fish eating shots, I unfortunately missed the catch. It probably took the great blue a good 10-15 min to get the fish into its throat.

View attachment 191742View attachment 191743View attachment 191744View attachment 191745View attachment 191747View attachment 191748View attachment 191749
Wow Wow Wow! Thank you.

Any problem with heat or anything else?

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

CR Pro
Just got an email from a local store saying that someone had canceled their R5 order to get an A7SIII. So one has become available for me... I was originally planning on waiting a few months... but now it may only be a few days!
Congrats!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

scottkinfw

CR Pro
I like to think the only reason this thread started and continued is because a lot of people have gone really nuts during lockdown.
Well I started it, and I can tell you that I haven't gone nuts at all. I started it because I have been looking forward to this release and am excited to receive it. It has been about 5 years since I purchased a new camera, and I thought many others would like to share the experience.

So why have you dropped in to this thread?

Scott

• Haha
Upvote 0

scottkinfw

CR Pro
I picked up my R5 this morning along with the battery grip, one extra battery, and both extenders. I am currently charging the batteries to 100%. This evening I will setup the camera and tomorrow morning I will test out a couple of lenses on the camera. I was really hoping that Canon would release the 100-500 mm L lens with the R5, but I'll have to wait another two months for that particular lens. Tomorrow morning will be fun!!
I prdered the 100-500 directly from Canon, and will be waiting. Sadly, I will only get the grip this week, no R5!

• Sad
Upvote 0

scottkinfw

CR Pro
I am sure you'll be happy that you did not have to wait a few months. The Camera costs a lot but she is paying a lot of back. The AF is helping so much. One day in nature and my wife is in love with the camera. Take a look on this lovely picture, freehand made with 400DO x 1.4

DL the picture:
Excellent shot! It was very small on the sensor, and even when I expanded it up, great detail, very sharp!
Was this the full 45MP?
Scott

Upvote 0
Jun 23, 2014
sent it spontaneously? I am on backorder (ordered 10:30 ET on first day) and didn't hear anything.

Here’s the email I received:

Thank You for Your Recent Canon R5 Order​
We are all very excited about this incredible new camera and its capabilities. We have shared below a video and an article that review the R5’s innovations and answer many of the questions customers have been asking.

The response to the R5 has been very strong. Canon’s deliveries to US retailers have been extremely limited. We shipped out the first delivery in full last week and we expect to receive/ship our next delivery in 3-4 weeks. We are allocating cameras to customers on a first come first served basis, determined by when we received customer orders, as indicated on our website. Out of fairness, we are not making any exceptions to this rule. We began accepting orders at 8am on July 9th and started receiving orders immediately.

We are working closely with Canon to get you your camera as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please email us at [email protected].

The launch of the new R5 has been incredibly well received and we know how excited people are to receive this new camera. We apologize for the delay. Please accept our sincere commitment that we are working hard to get you your camera to you as quickly as possible. We will send you an update on August 17th.

Thank you,
The B&H Team​

Upvote 0
Here’s the email I received:

Thank You for Your Recent Canon R5 Order​
We are all very excited about this incredible new camera and its capabilities. We have shared below a video and an article that review the R5’s innovations and answer many of the questions customers have been asking.

The response to the R5 has been very strong. Canon’s deliveries to US retailers have been extremely limited. We shipped out the first delivery in full last week and we expect to receive/ship our next delivery in 3-4 weeks. We are allocating cameras to customers on a first come first served basis, determined by when we received customer orders, as indicated on our website. Out of fairness, we are not making any exceptions to this rule. We began accepting orders at 8am on July 9th and started receiving orders immediately.

We are working closely with Canon to get you your camera as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please email us at [email protected].

The launch of the new R5 has been incredibly well received and we know how excited people are to receive this new camera. We apologize for the delay. Please accept our sincere commitment that we are working hard to get you your camera to you as quickly as possible. We will send you an update on August 17th.

Thank you,
The B&H Team​

I guess I was asking if you ordered it in the last day or so and then got this email, or did you order it July 9 and just got this email. Or something in between.

Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
Wow Wow Wow! Thank you.

Any problem with heat or anything else?
No heat problems but I didn't use video. I got over 3000 images on a single charge with 25-30% still showing. My only complaint is the level of NR applied to jPeg files especially at high ISO, but once LR gets R5 RAW support that complaint will go away.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
No heat problems but I didn't use video. I got over 3000 images on a single charge with 25-30% still showing. My only complaint is the level of NR applied to jPeg files especially at high ISO, but once LR gets R5 RAW support that complaint will go away.
Wow, impressive battery life.. was that with the grip?

Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
Wow, impressive battery life.. was that with the grip?
No. I was taking a lot of electronic and mechanical shutter shoots, so probably a lot like highway driving. I was in the field for about 2 hours, so two hours or less for the 3000 shots. I suspect that if I took mostly single shots, the batter would not have lasted as long.

I'm not a fan of battery grips. One of the attractions of mirrorless is that it's relatively lightweight. The R5/800mm combo is light and nicely balanced. I have the 100-500L, and 70-200L on order, so I'm expecting to have no problem with any of these lenses. I also have a 2nd battery on order. I don't foresee a situation where two batteries won't last me all day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0