Woot Woot!! Mine too!

Now, all we need is someone else that ordered from B&H & has received theirs to let us know how long it took to go from "order in progress" to when they got it (or at least shipped).

My 10:33 got notice and charged this morning, and is on its way for delivery tomorrow. My 11:18 was charged, but still says "in progress".

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
I think it depends a lot on your size. I have carried it around in a sling pack many times. I would be hesitant to do that with an EF 200mm f/2, which is massive, but the RF 28-70 to me is only marginally larger than the RF 85mm 1.2, which I also like. I can see how it would be too big for smaller people, but for me (6', 200) the only issue is if I need more space in my pack.

I think I'm right at a threshold... however it's the diameter combined with the weight that went over for me. And I really needed a walkaround zoom with that range... so for me it's more like the mallet when I really just needed a hammer.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Mine arrived within two days of ordering, put the old 100-400mm II + 1.4xTC on it, and by a stroke of luck shot a flying Migrant Hawker dragonfly. (another shot posted in the dragonfly thread). It focussed like a dream picking out the dragonfly against a very busy background, giving me one of my best shots ever. I now have to plough through the bird shots. This was just the test I wanted to do. This camera is a keeper. Do I need the 100-500mm with old faithful working so well?View attachment 192912
Did a little more testing and posted in https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/threads/r5-rf100-500-vs-d850-500-pf.39312/page-3

Upvote 0

rightslot

Canon R5 ++
Aug 22, 2018
I think I'm right at a threshold... however it's the diameter combined with the weight that went over for me. And I really needed a walkaround zoom with that range... so for me it's more like the mallet when I really just needed a hammer.
VERY interesting discussion on the 28-70. Ordered it, then I began to be concerned with the size so before it was sent, I read, and read, and read--'till my eyes were RED. {This is all without a body to attach it to.} So after some more thought I changed to the 24-70. I have it and still NO BODY. But I believe I made a good decision. All-in-all these lenses just keep getting bigger. I stated in another post it's awful hard to cheat physics. I GUESS.

Upvote 0

sal7777

From EF to RF
Jul 16, 2020
Santa Monica
VERY interesting discussion on the 28-70. Ordered it, then I began to be concerned with the size so before it was sent, I read, and read, and read--'till my eyes were RED. {This is all without a body to attach it to.} So after some more thought I changed to the 24-70. I have it and still NO BODY. But I believe I made a good decision. All-in-all these lenses just keep getting bigger. I stated in another post it's awful hard to cheat physics. I GUESS.
In my opinion, the difference in weight between the 28-70 and 24-70 becomes a secondary factor to the importance of gaining an extra stop in speed.
If you are not going to be shooting in environments that demand that extra speed, then the 24-70 was the right choice for your needs.
If you’re shooting events (primarily in low-light), for example, that extra stop becomes imperative.
I hope you get your R5 soon and do some tests with the setup and post some pics on here

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
In my opinion, the difference in weight between the 28-70 and 24-70 becomes a secondary factor to the importance of gaining an extra stop in speed.
If you are not going to be shooting in environments that demand that extra speed, then the 24-70 was the right choice for your needs.
If you’re shooting events (primarily in low-light), for example, that extra stop becomes imperative.
I hope you get your R5 soon and do some tests with the setup and post some pics on here

Yes, everyone has their own needs.

I thought the 28-70 was for me, and I was proven wrong... by using it. Since I don't shoot in those situations that would require that lens often, I can fall back on the prime. However the size/weight/handing was the major factor because my use case was for a walk around lens (that I can go with the 24-70 for size/weight/IS/Extra Focal Length). For me this lens would have sit in a bag more than on the camera (which would have been a shame). If it wasn't for the size/weight I would have kept it... or if I had a use case (i.e. if I did weddings) for the extra stop in a zoom, I might have considered keeping it.

Upvote 0

sal7777

From EF to RF
Jul 16, 2020
Santa Monica
Yes, everyone has their own needs.

I thought the 28-70 was for me, and I was proven wrong... by using it. Since I don't shoot in those situations that would require that lens often, I can fall back on the prime. However the size/weight/handing was the major factor because my use case was for a walk around lens (that I can go with the 24-70 for size/weight/IS/Extra Focal Length). For me this lens would have sit in a bag more than on the camera (which would have been a shame). If it wasn't for the size/weight I would have kept it... or if I had a use case (i.e. if I did weddings) for the extra stop in a zoom, I might have considered keeping it.
Agreed. Either way, happy shooting with your 24-70 and new photo gear. :)

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
I just received mine today (ordered on august 31, with a nice promo : 5 years garanty and an extra battery).

I'm impressed, huge improvement gap coming from 5d3.

Sorry busy now trying things out. :)
WOW!
Where did you get that sweet deal ?

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
I'm in France, i ordered from photo-denfert.com
The offer has ended it was only for preorder.
If someone orders now they "only" give 5 years warranty, no extra battery.
I also fill in the form on canon cps website to get a free ef to rf adapter (even if i dont have ef lenses anymore).
Thanks!

Upvote 0