koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Ordered an R5 from the canon.nl webstore last thursday, the 24th. UPS says they have it in their hub and will deliver it on Monday. The preorder I placed the day before the announcement at a proper brick and mortar store is still pending, there were a lot of people in front of me on the list and they are getting only a handful per shipment.
So two and a half day left till I found out if there's a real R5 in the box or just a brick :)

Upvote 0
Ordered an R5 from the canon.nl webstore last thursday, the 24th. UPS says they have it in their hub and will deliver it on Monday. The preorder I placed the day before the announcement at a proper brick and mortar store is still pending, there were a lot of people in front of me on the list and they are getting only a handful per shipment.
So two and a half day left till I found out if there's a real R5 in the box or just a brick :)
I have some friends who preordered the 100-500 along with their R5's. Last Thursday I saw the 100-500 was in stock on the CUSA store so I ordered it and it was shipped and in town on Tuesday. They are still waiting for their 100-500's. Still shortages on batteries and other accessories but those are slowly arriving at vendors. Just glad I pre-ordered my R5 in the first minutes.

Upvote 0

sal7777

From EF to RF
Jul 16, 2020
Santa Monica
I guess no more B&H for me for future pre-orders. I will order directly from Canon.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I guess no more B&H for me for future pre-orders. I will order directly from Canon.

The canon.nl webstore is stuck in the 90s, in the rush to buy the R5 once it was available I only changed the invoice address, not the delivery address. No way to change an order online and worse, phone support can't change it either, they can only send a note to the shipping department. And the shipping department ignored the note, so I had to change the delivery address with UPS. So fingers crossed :)

Apart from that, the canon.nl webstore tries very hard to ignore that it's actually in the Netherlands, which is part of the EU. So all the legally required things like being able to cancel without giving a reason, return and exchange policy and warranty requirement aren't listed or listed wrong. "Free one year warranty!", still less than the legally required minimum. Also, it only allows credit cards, even if it lists logos for things like Ideal payments.

So for non-scarce items I won't be shopping at the canon.nl webstore, I will happily pay the same or more at proper stores where the customer service can actually do something.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Aren't they closed for Yom Kippur Sunday and Monday?
I've heard that some things like this actually ship straight from a Canon facility.

More likely is that it was loaded on a trailer before Adorama shut down on Thursday and UPS just scanned the barcode on the outside of the trailer when they picked the trailer up Sunday night. That scan autogenerates notices for every label that is supposed to be loaded on that trailer and listed on the manifest.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The canon.nl webstore is stuck in the 90s, in the rush to buy the R5 once it was available I only changed the invoice address, not the delivery address. No way to change an order online and worse, phone support can't change it either, they can only send a note to the shipping department. And the shipping department ignored the note, so I had to change the delivery address with UPS. So fingers crossed :)
[..]

There's a working R5 next to me on the table :) I noticed something I haven't seen in reviews yet: All EF lens profiles are preloaded, just like the 1dx3. So none of the 'pick 5' nonsense the RP has (or 3 for the M6II).

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
My order from BH arrived last week while I was out of town, but once I got back I had a chance to play a little with it. So far, I'm impressed. The viewfinder is just, wow... compared to previous EVF in even the R. The tracking speed and general UI performance is excellent. A few high ISO tests show it to be at least on par with the R/RP, even with the big MP jump.

Very happy, and looking forward to getting out with it. Shame I just had the R on this last trip, but at least I got a chance to test out the RF28-70 as a general travel lens, and I'm very happy with it; despite the weight. will be even better with the R5 IBIS. (though the 28-7 is so heavy with a centre of mass close to body that it's actually surprisingly steady already. IBIS made a difference, but not as much as I expected, as I was already getting sharp shots at slower shutter speed than I'd have expected. 1/30th at 70mm was generally easy to achieve on the 30MP R.)

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
My order from BH arrived last week while I was out of town, but once I got back I had a chance to play a little with it. So far, I'm impressed. The viewfinder is just, wow... compared to previous EVF in even the R. The tracking speed and general UI performance is excellent. A few high ISO tests show it to be at least on par with the R/RP, even with the big MP jump.

Very happy, and looking forward to getting out with it. Shame I just had the R on this last trip, but at least I got a chance to test out the RF28-70 as a general travel lens, and I'm very happy with it; despite the weight. will be even better with the R5 IBIS. (though the 28-7 is so heavy with a centre of mass close to body that it's actually surprisingly steady already. IBIS made a difference, but not as much as I expected, as I was already getting sharp shots at slower shutter speed than I'd have expected. 1/30th at 70mm was generally easy to achieve on the 30MP R.)

What's interesting, the Canon table of IS-stops is same for 28-70mm and 24-70mm IS lenses. Meaning, based on that table, the IS on the 24-70 doesn't help any stabilization when using R5.

Would be interesting to get real world data on that though what is the actual help on both lenses.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
There's a working R5 next to me on the table :) I noticed something I haven't seen in reviews yet: All EF lens profiles are preloaded, just like the 1dx3. So none of the 'pick 5' nonsense the RP has (or 3 for the M6II).

The 5D Mark IV also has pretty much every EF lens profile preloaded. Updated firmware also includes EF lenses introduced as late as 2018 that was after the release of the camera in 2016.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The 5D Mark IV also has pretty much every EF lens profile preloaded. Updated firmware also includes EF lenses introduced as late as 2018 that was after the release of the camera in 2016.

Does it have DLO included or just vignetting and distortion? The 1dx3 and R5 have DLO included as well. Confusingly EOS Utility calls both the same and will silently drop DLO from cameras which don't support it. Or silently add it, depending on your point of view :)

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Does it have DLO included or just vignetting and distortion? The 1dx3 and R5 have DLO included as well. Confusingly EOS Utility calls both the same and will silently drop DLO from cameras which don't support it. Or silently add it, depending on your point of view :)

The 5D Mark IV menu includes options to enable/disable:

Peripheral illumination correction
Distortion correction
Digital Lens Optimizer
Chromatic aber corr
Diffraction correction

Of course not all EF lenses have DLO profiles (even when using DPP 4). There are neither DLO profiles nor peripheral illumination and distortion correction profiles for older EF lenses that were long ago discontinued before the advent of DPP and DLO, such as the EF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 USM.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016

With cameras capable of doing DLO internally:

The first column (with the check mark) in EOS Utility is for the non-DLO items. The second column indicates if the profile has been downloaded to your host computer. The third column (with a small camera icon and a small check mark) indicate whether DLO data is loaded.

20200929ss1.png

The appearance of the entire window can change significantly depending upon which specific camera models is attached to the computer.

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
What's interesting, the Canon table of IS-stops is same for 28-70mm and 24-70mm IS lenses. Meaning, based on that table, the IS on the 24-70 doesn't help any stabilization when using R5.

Would be interesting to get real world data on that though what is the actual help on both lenses.

I noticed the same thing, and was surprised by it. Now I'm thinking it's because of the sheer mass of the 28-70 and close centre of mass. The inertia gives it a natural stability to start, allowing you to hand hold better than some other lenses. That's worth at least one or two stops from my quick testing. Then add the IBIS...
It may also differ from person to person. If you find the 28-70 combo very heavy, maybe it's not going to be as good.

Upvote 0