Should wait for a new EOS body?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

coldcaption

If you ask me, it's important to understand the gear you have, which comes very well from using it a lot. I use a six year old 30D with the 50mm f/1.4 (great lens, great choice!) and with the understanding I have of this gear from using it so much, I can very reliably take pictures that fulfill my vision. The biggest advantage I'd get in stills from a better camera is better low light performance, and the 60D is a low light dream. You can get a better body to fill in some particulars, but for the purpose of taking good pictures you already have a lot of what you need.

The 7D is like a 60D with weather sealing, no articulating screen and better autofocus. The 5D Mark II has better (?) weather sealing and the higher res, full frame sensor. Unless you need to get wider or have actually needed to make prints bigger than what you can do with 18mp, you wouldn't need that. The 5D III has...better low light I think? And that metering issue. I don't even remember what they changed about it.

If you have money to burn, get more lenses. People notice the difference a lens makes, but most people don't look at a picture and pick out how the minute qualities of a nicer body would have improved it. You might, but as long as the pictures are good, you've still got everything you need.

Although the others are right; if you're getting paid, get a backup body.

Upvote 0
I understand his wish to get a new body. My 60D had to be repaired last month (changing the picturesensor again). Now I own a camera that has awful noise @>400ISO and some red dots. But Canon told me that´s "tolerable"..... :mad:
There seems to be a big variety of quality. If you are a lucky guy, you own a well built one. If you´re not so lucky, your pics are full of noise or colorful dots..... :'(

(But I was told (by Canon) that buying a highend model means better qualitychecks too....)

Upvote 0
C

coldcaption

Those dots are probably hot pixels, and my understanding is that they're going to happen on a digital camera. My experience with my 30D is that these things tend to be negligible; I've never noticed hot pixels at regular viewing sizes, and I've never had a picture be unusable because of the noise at 1600.
It's similar to the way that all film has grain, but a lot of peace of mind comes from knowing from that it usually doesn't matter if the pictures are good.

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
rtorres said:
I like my 60D body but i would like a better one.

"Better" is relative - what exactly do you expect from a camera body upgrade, and how do you think it'll affect your shots?

Well, i like mi 60D, feels nice in my hands, it's lightweight. the 18MP sensor works ok, the AF isn't good but it works, i would loke a new body with better AF, better lowlight performance (<2000 dls) i don't know if that is possibly.

neuroanatomist said:
If you shoot weddings (as the paid photog) you should be looking for a second body - in fact, you should already have one. What if your 60D dies as the ushers are seating the guests?

Yes i'm lookin for other body(my 60D will be my second) i have a Xsi canon but it's too small and the lowlight performance is bad.

Upvote 0
If you are shooting weddings and portraits, I'd buy a 5D Mark II. They're $2199 right now new. That with your 60D would be fantastic. Again, weddings, get the 24-70L lens, either the mark I or II. Gotta have that. I'm going to start doing weddings again and I'll have to get the 24-70L II even though I have primes in that range. What are you gonna do though?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.