Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Affinity Photo 2 re-edit (Glaucous Gull, I think)View attachment 206673
If the siting bird in the background is the same species than it should be Glaucous-winged Gull (gray tips of the wings, the Glaucous Gull has white tips of the wings. Bill is rather big for Island Gull. Once at home I will check the literature - I'm not very good with the Gulls.
Edited: I still think it's a Glaucous-winged Gull but the presumption for the bird in the back-ground is just presumption. If you have photos that include more of the bird compare the wing tips. Also we shouldn't forget that the Gulls hybridize and the ID of the hybrids is for the real experts:).
Here are two photos of first winter Glaucous-winged Gull (I took them on Oahu - relatively rare vagrant).

Larus glaucescens - Glaucous-winged Gull 4c_DxO.jpgLarus glaucescens - Glaucous-winged Gull 10b_DxO.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Just walked right up on this Red-tailed Hawk on a walk during my lunch break today.

Nicely done.
a025.gif

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Cog

Dec 6, 2013
Qatar
Nope! Even my suggestion for Tree Pipit was wrong by the same reason: your Pipit has dark legs! The only Pipit similar to the Water Pipit and with dark legs (I mean in Europe and your region) is the Rock Pipit - in Scandinavia:ROFLMAO:!!!
And the rock Pipit is not known to migrate to your region in the winter - it goes to very west Europe and very North-west Africa.
Stop resisting - your first suggestion is right: Water Pipit:)! Concerning the question mark that you put there: I can't forget what my dad told me once (many-many years ago): "Even a broken clock would be right - twice in twenty four hours" (no punt intended!!!!). But you were questioning you own ID of the bird and I like/respect that!
Then water pipit it is! :)

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
And here is my contribution from today: I didn't realize it's a time for the Honolulu Marathon... My plans for Sea Birds just fail (roads practically blocked... ) The only short (as a distance) and good spot was to sit in the Honolulu Zoo (I have a favorite relatively quiet place there and sice I'm a member - no need to pay additionally! ). After that it was just short moves from the bench to take photos of the regulars. And my prediction that the Zoo will be pretty empty because of the marathon was right. Almost no yelling kids and people crossing in front of the lens exactly when you trying to get some photos!!! On other hand at that time of the day it was rather windy (now almost no wind) and I had to push the ISO.

DSC_0773_DxO.jpgDSC_0788_DxO.jpgDSC_0815_DxO.jpgDSC_0823_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0