Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks lion rock, click, Orangutan and Jaçk.

I didn’t use a tripod for the banded demoiselle (I never use tripods for field studies). The shutter speed was 1/640s, which is OK for the short distance with IS on for a static subject, and I spend a huge time fine tuning AFMA for my lenses – the depth of field at that distance for 560mm/f5.6 is ~±5mm.

Jack, I save my knees by not jumping!

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
kodakrome said:
Juvenile night heron trying to grab some food. Had to use ISO 3200 because of early morning low light.

V Nice even at 3200. Question, is that a 400 DO II? I seem to be getting the same look to the distant OOF water (bokeh) and wondered about that. Perhaps I'm just forgetting what my 300 2.8 II was doing when it was my mainstay.

Jack

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
AlanF said:
Hi guys
I've been out of action because carrying my 400mm DOII/5D on a BlackRapid has caused painful hip problems. I reckoned that a double-holster to spread the weight over both shoulders might solve the problem (after some rest from carrying). Not wishing to spend £150 for a double BlackRapid I paid £6.49 for a Chinese knock off, which I tested with two 14lb weights. Problem solved and I am back in business!

By mistake, I took out yesterday the 400mm + 1.4xTC attached to the 5DIV instead of the 5DSR - I usually use with a 2xTC on the IV. But, I really liked it and will use this combo for a while. It's very responsive, very consistent focus and sharp. Here is a juvenile robin very close up, which probably would have given Moire with the 5DSR and some shots of a great crested grebe quite far away catching a giant crayfish, where I used higher speeds than with 800mm.

I couldn't resist posting this banded demoiselle - the minimum focus is 3.3m with the lens, not exactly macro, but it is so sharp it works.
Excellent shots as always Alan. Although slightly off-topic I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for your comments on various camera/lenses combinations. For example I finally got the 5DsR and yes - I saw what you meant - there are cases where its IQ is better than 7D2 (noisewise) which saves me from using 2-step denoising. I haven't been able to fine tune it with the teleconverters yet - but eventually I have to, at least with 1.4XIII - but it works fine with either 400DOII and 500II...

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Mikehit said:
Grebe washing. I wish I'd been braver and gone for another half stop of ISO to get a faster shutter speed.

Canon 7d2 with 400DOii and 2x extender mkiii
1/800 f8.0 ISO3200

Mike it's nice but what might it have been? Here's mine with 1/1250 sec F8 ISO 2k 400DO II X2 1DX2 I was wishing he'd turn relative to the sun or that I could move but I couldn't. :( I've killed highlights and boosted shadows pretty significantly. About 1/5 frame crop.

Jack

Attachments

• Ruddy duck_14969.JPG
    Ruddy duck_14969.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 83
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Click said:
Mikehit said:
Grebe washing. I wish I'd been braver and gone for another half stop of ISO to get a faster shutter speed.

1/800 f8.0 ISO3200

I like it the way it is. Well done, Mike. :)

I also think that the motion is pleasingly evident and that possibly it gives it more character. That head was really twisting! I guess it comes down to personal preference. Too bad we can't just release a finger and the shutter switches to a predefined alternate setting.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Jack Douglas said:
Mike it's nice but what might it have been? Here's mine with 1/1250 sec F8 ISO 2k 400DO II X2 1DX2 I was wishing he'd turn relative to the sun or that I could move but I couldn't. :( I've killed highlights and boosted shadows pretty significantly. About 1/5 frame crop.

Jack

That's a very nice shot, Jack. :)

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Jack Douglas said:
Click said:
Mikehit said:

1/800 f8.0 ISO3200

I like it the way it is. Well done, Mike. :)

I also think that the motion is pleasingly evident and that possibly it gives it more character. That head was really twisting! I guess it comes down to personal preference. Too bad we can't just release a finger and the shutter switches to a predefined alternate setting.

Jack
+1 about motion. Oh I do love seeing grebes :)

I do not know If I understood correctly what you mentioned about alternate shutter setting (by the way English is not my native language) but shutter can change instantly by using custom controls. I have assigned 1/2500 and some other settings (like AI Servo) to the * button for example (this works on 5DsR, 7DII and 5D4)

Upvote 0