Show your Bird Portraits

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
...if I could identify this one, I would!

That is a Dark-eyed Junco. Based on coloring, I'd say it's a hatch year bird. Depending on where you are in the country, depends on which subspecies it could be. Nicely done!

Jeremy

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
A male Red-bellied Woodpecker trying to crack an acorn on my chimney. (plus an interesting optical illusion) Is it in my chimney or on the outside. Give it a few secondsView attachment 194168
You're right - it's quite an illusion as I initially thought it was an inside edge in view, where it's really an outer edge view. Escher would be proud! ps - great photo!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
That is a Dark-eyed Junco. Based on coloring, I'd say it's a hatch year bird. Depending on where you are in the country, depends on which subspecies it could be. Nicely done!

Jeremy

Thanks for the ID. In our yard I don't see many Dark-eyed Juncos. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

jmeyer

CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
Evening Grosbeaks have finally showed up at one of my local parks!!! A pair of females have been around for five days now. They were joined by two more in the late morning. They call when flying and sitting in the trees, so hopefully they can attract a male or two flying over. 7D mkll / EF600 f4 / 1.4x lll

Jeremy

Evening Grosbeak (female-fall) 100.jpgEvening Grosbeak (female-fall) 102.jpgEvening Grosbeak (female-fall) 103.jpgEvening Grosbeak (female-fall) 104.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Trying to put in order my folder "Northern Cardinal". Many photos made with my old photo-editing programs and more importantly with my older photo-editing skills... Didn't get any deeper into the folder - this one was the first and last (Thanksgiving any way:)). The main problem that I found with some pictures was that they were taken with my old photo-shooting skills:rolleyes:. Sometimes you look at your own photos and asking yourself "and you were thinking WHAT doing this?!".
The photo below is not in that basked, it's rather fresh (2019). Just some little improvements with PL4.

DSC_9228_DxO-1.jpg

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

jmeyer

CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
With the weather we had a few weeks ago, many birds from the west were blown into the Midwest and even further into the East. Here in Wisconsin, there have been several reports of Spotted Towhees, one of them only 40 minutes from me. Today I finally had time to get out, walk around and try to find him. I did find him and it was a life bird! He was hanging around a "late" female Eastern Towhee. 7D mkll / EF600 f4 ll / 1.4x lll.

Jeremy

Spotted Towhee (male-fall) 100.jpgSpotted Towhee (male-fall) 101.jpgSpotted Towhee (male-fall) 102.jpgSpotted Towhee (male-fall) 107.jpgSpotted Towhee (male-fall) 109.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
With the weather we had a few weeks ago, many birds from the west were blown into the Midwest and even further into the East. Here in Wisconsin, there have been several reports of Spotted Towhees, one of them only 40 minutes from me. Today I finally had time to get out, walk around and try to find him. I did find him and it was a life bird! He was hanging around a "late" female Eastern Towhee. 7D mkll / EF600 f4 ll / 1.4x lll.

Jeremy

View attachment 194193View attachment 194194View attachment 194195View attachment 194196View attachment 194197
Wow, jmeyer, beautiful photos! A 600 f4 and 1.4x TC is pretty magical for these long shots with a beautiful background blur. It's starting to make me wonder if I might dare to consider one of the future RF big whites they are hinting at coming out with in the future.

I do have one question: I see you used a 1.4x TC. Do you find you don't want to use a 2x TC because of loss of IQ, or is it just that the 1.4X was all you needed to get the right framing for these shots?

Upvote 0

jmeyer

CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
Wow, jmeyer, beautiful photos! A 600 f4 and 1.4x TC is pretty magical for these long shots with a beautiful background blur. It's starting to make me wonder if I might dare to consider one of the future RF big whites they are hinting at coming out with in the future.

I do have one question: I see you used a 1.4x TC. Do you find you don't want to use a 2x TC because of loss of IQ, or is it just that the 1.4X was all you needed to get the right framing for these shots?

Thank you! The 7D doesn't handle the 2x very well and image quality takes quite a hit, at least in the very limited use I've tried. That being said, I haven't used it or tested it too much, but I feel the 1.4x and cropping produces a far superior image. It's always on the lens unless I come across a situation where 840mm is too much, then I just throw it in my pocket. I do have an extra 500 F4 l sitting in its trunk in my closet...

Jeremy

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

Jeremy

View attachment 194198View attachment 194199View attachment 194200View attachment 194201View attachment 194202

Great shots. Must have been very satisfying after the chase.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0