Show your Bird Portraits

Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Hi, got a chance to take some close-ups portraits and In-Flight shots of various Raptors at the end of last week.
Mainly R5 with EF 70-200 MK2 and EF 100-400 MK2. They start here on Flickr!

Also got to test an RF100-500, unfortunately not on any Birds.

Cheers Brian

I really like this shot. Well done, bjd.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Yesterday I went hiking in attempt to find finally (with camera in my hands) the Oahu Elepaio. Didn't happen. Preparing my settings for the complicated light in the rain forest took a shot of White-rumped Shama.
Here is one of them - same file, same settings of the PP software. First one with PL 4 Elite, the second with PL 5 Elite. Just in case it's interesting for anyone deciding to upgrade or not... Not very methodical comparison - I have to try with more noisy files...

DSC_4205_DxO PL4.jpgDSC_4205_DxO PL5.jpg

Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Yesterday I went hiking in attempt to find finally (with camera in my hands) the Oahu Elepaio. Didn't happen. Preparing my settings for the complicated light in the rain forest took a shot of White-rumped Shama.
Here is one of them - same file, same settings of the PP software. First one with PL 4 Elite, the second with PL 5 Elite. Just in case it's interesting for anyone deciding to upgrade or not... Not very methodical comparison - I have to try with more noisy files...

View attachment 201074View attachment 201075
Nice bird. What do you think about PL5 vs 4? DxO has played the same marketing for the past few years. An upgrade in October at a discount for existing users, then on Black Friday a bigger discount.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Nice bird. What do you think about PL5 vs 4? DxO has played the same marketing for the past few years. An upgrade in October at a discount for existing users, then on Black Friday a bigger discount.
I upgraded after coming back from my hike (well, since you didn't get the Elepaio you have to do something else in connection with the photography!;)). I'm sure my wife would be (extremely:LOL:) happy I didn't order Z9! These are just first photos in comparison of the both software and as I already mentioned - not at all methodical! If you have the passion to wait for more realistic comparison (!!!! I'm after the IQ! All other upgrades are not essential for me and I will ignore them!!!) You have to wait a bit...

• Haha
Upvote 0
In our own area of the world (midwest USA), the late-summer season is finally (and belatedly) changing to fall. I do not know 10% of what many who post on here know...but it seems to me that when the seasons change we get different birds in our front-yard tree.

An example?

Today's 'find' was a first for me:

View attachment 201062View attachment 201063View attachment 201064

...a yellow bellied sapsucker!?
Nice shots, juvenile Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Are you saying that Black Friday is the cheapest day of the year to upgrade from PL4 to PL5? If so, I didn't know that, and am thankful that you mentioned it so I can upgrade then.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Are you saying that Black Friday is the cheapest day of the year to upgrade from PL4 to PL5? If so, I didn't know that, and am thankful that you mentioned it so I can upgrade then.
It was last year and the year before. But past performance... I will take some convincing to upgrade this year as PL4 is so good.

Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
It was last year and the year before. But past performance... I will take some convincing to upgrade this year as PL4 is so good.
No snark intended: my wife and I have remained married for nearly four decades because I (mostly) admit my mistakes and (perhaps more importantly) get to the point.

AlanF: what does 'PL4' do for you that you might surmise it would do for me?

Repeat: no snark intended.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
For some companies, Black Friday now seems to be Black November. Discounts already seem to be in place. The upgrade has dropped from $100 to $80, the purchase from $219 to $165. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on my upgrade.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
No snark intended: my wife and I have remained married for nearly four decades because I (mostly) admit my mistakes and (perhaps more importantly) get to the point.

AlanF: what does 'PL4' do for you that you might surmise it would do for me?

Repeat: no snark intended.
Well, we’ve been married for at least a decade and a half more than you so it might help you get there. The main feature for me has been its noise reduction. It’s got me the cleanest images and retained the most detail of any RAW conversion software or jpeg editor I have personally used, and with little effort. There are a couple of reviews just published on its many other features. One in ePhotozine and I think another in dpr, but you can Google for those.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Nice!
a025.gif
Well done, jprusa.

Upvote 0