Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Just arrived in Rome on our first foreign travel for over two years. Brought the R5 + RF 100-400 with, and couldn’t resist taking a shot of a Sparrow. I know sparrows aren’t exciting but the first foreign bird in over two years is! And he is a very handsome Italian one (processed on my iPad).View attachment 203436
:ROFLMAO: - did you tried to ID this with your program? "I know sparrows aren’t exciting..."
It's the Italian Sparrow (Passer italiae). I don't think you have it in England. The ID of the males is easy (see below). With the females (as usually - they are the welcome troublemakers;)) it's much more complicated - I wouldn't try to separate them...

Note:
The cheek is missing the black spot (the Tree Sparrow have it). It lacks the gray crown of the House Sparrow.
It lacks the black-spotted chest and belly of the Spanish Sparrow!
Congratulations! I tried to find it back (2019) in my trip to Bulgaria and have never seen it (it's very rare there).

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
Thanks Guy's, I use the canon EF100-400 mk2 with RF adapter, on the R6. In these images with the 1.4 teleconverter attached to aid flight shots that interest me most. The Puffin was at 560mm taken at probably 4M+ and the Razorbill at 189mm taken using the flip screen as the camera was held looking down over a wall with the bird sitting directly below, minimal cropping only to assist composition. As long as you sit quietly the birds are very confiding and behave normally.
Thanks for those details. I sure they’ll help with my future avian portrait sessions.

Upvote 0

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
Another rare bird this morning, White-eyed Vireo! It has just been an unbelievable spring so far, and now it looks like the weather is finally going to cooperate for the next week. The next 5 days should be insane here! Glad I'm off for 2 weeks!

Jeremy

White-eyed Vireo (adult-spring) 102.jpgWhite-eyed Vireo (adult-spring) 103.jpgWhite-eyed Vireo (adult-spring) 104.jpg

Reactions: 15 users
Upvote 0
Close encounters with a Peregrine which landed in front of me on the riverbank. Spent about twenty minutes learning the fine art of plucking Mourning Dove feathers while having a Forster's Tern dive bomb the falcon incessantly. Eventually the crop was full and it carried off about half the carcass, albeit slowly.
SDR154003-4K.jpg

R5 RF600 w/1.4X 1/1250 : f/9 : ISO 800

Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Close encounters with a Peregrine which landed in front of me on the riverbank. Spent about twenty minutes learning the fine art of plucking Mourning Dove feathers while having a Forster's Tern dive bomb the falcon incessantly. Eventually the crop was full and it carried off about half the carcass, albeit slowly.
SDR154003-4K.jpg

R5 RF600 w/1.4X 1/1250 : f/9 : ISO 800
Great shot!!!

Upvote 0

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
Ok, so this is just getting ridiculous now. I found another rare warbler yesterday, Worm-eating Warbler! Very uncommon for Wisconsin. I even got to watch it take a bath! Today was insane, 99 species and 26 warbler species!!! Tonight's weather could create fallout conditions for the morning too, fingers crossed.

Jeremy

Worm-eating Warbler (spring) 110.jpgWorm-eating Warbler (spring) 111.jpgWorm-eating Warbler (spring) 112.jpgWorm-eating Warbler (spring) 116.jpgWorm-eating Warbler (spring) 117.jpgWorm-eating Warbler (spring) 118.jpgWorm-eating Warbler (spring) 120.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0