SIGMA announces the “SIGMA fp”, the world’s smallest and lightest mirrorless digital camera* with a full-frame image sensor

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
why does everything about this seem like it's april fools and at the same time, like come on canon, what you gonna do next to make you seem even more behind in the FF mirrorless game
I will not feed the troll...I will not feed the troll...I will not feed the troll.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
I'll have to undergo surgery, in order to get my hands reduced in size.
In earnest: I hate tiny cameras, ergonomics are often sacrificed for smaller size (Sony...)

I agree, I really don't understand what the selling point of such a tiny, fiddly camera is meant to be. You won't have a decent grip on it to stabilise a lens and then you'll also have to hold it a few inches away from your face to see the screen, adding more shake. This is not a P&S with a dinky plastic lens, this is a full-frame that will be attached to lenses weighing > 300g

Sigma, make something at least the size of the EOS R and with an EVF and I'll give you money.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
I agree, I really don't understand what the selling point of such a tiny, fiddly camera is meant to be. You won't have a decent grip on it to stabilise a lens and then you'll also have to hold it a few inches away from your face to see the screen, adding more shake. This is not a P&S with a dinky plastic lens, this is a full-frame that will be attached to lenses weighing > 300g

Sigma, make something at least the size of the EOS R and with an EVF and I'll give you money.
It seems like from the video, there will be a number of attachable accessories like grips, monitors, viewfinders(?), etc. Kind of a modular design for a variety of production purposes.

Neat concept for amateur producers who are involved in a wide range of projects.

Absolutely not for me personally. I hate tiny cameras. My RP is the smallest I want to go. Without the grip extension I probably wouldn’t have considered buying.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Is it just me or does this thing make no sense at all. Great. I have a tiny ff camera that can slip on my pocket........ And a camera bag full of lenses that I carry on my back. If you want small get an apsc. It's not like you get the ff goodness if you combine it with a tiny lens.

Upvote 0
And after CIPA 36 images per battery charge (wasn't the 36 images per ... a part of history)?

Hopefully the camera can be supplied by USB-C or other external power and does not overheat.o.k., it will not overheat because they have made an intelligent solution to avoid it with grid fins between sensor (and CPU?) in the gap to the display. And if this thing is global shutter ... maybe not to bad!

But for a one man video setup the body size isn't too important because you need microphones and an external audio recorder. I fiddeled around with M50, a small cage, a TASCAM DR 70D recorder and two microphones in NOS configuration (30cm distance, 90°) + dead kittens ... it is not easy to find the M50 inside all that add ons!

Upvote 0

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
I think it’s also important to remember culture.... most of us I’m assuming are from America’s, Europe, Australia, etc.

There are many countries with an obsession for making things smaller, and smaller, and smaller to fit their cramped and minimalist life style. But these cultures also love photography and technology more than the average person as well.

Believe me, our big houses, SUVs, and huge food portions don’t make sense to others around the world any more than super tiny cameras do to us.

Upvote 0

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
But for real, what an ignorant comment..... for me I grab my pelican 1510 from my studio that's the size of a Tokyo flat at 1/10 the cost and roll it into my car or truck and drive to a shoot.

Someone in that Tokyo flat who doesn’t have a car, maybe walks, bikes, takes public transit and wants a variety of modular options to bring with to a shoot is one of many target consumers. Versatility and functionality trumps ergonomics for SOME people.

Someone who wants to travel even lighter and takes a tripod and doesn’t need flash? Great, don’t need a beefy grip, viewfinder, or a hotshoe. Someone who mainly does video work and never uses those the features either?....great! Now they can pack much lighter and minimize their gear and workflow. Hopefully the price will also be inline and save money on unneeded features for those in that market as well.

Use your imagination not your crappy jokes. Population densities and cultural norms play a big role in lifestyle and marketing products.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
When Canon makes a tiny little camera with limited functionality and a recycled sensor it's a marketing masterstroke. When Sigma makes an even smaller camera that could be the core of a higly competitive and technologically advanced video rig it's "too small for my big manly western hands". Too funny.
Like all things, different products for different purposes. Too many people view products through the lens of their own needs and biases. That multiplied by an overinflated ego or self-importance, and an anonymous message board, make for some pretty ignorant comments don't they?

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
But for real, what an ignorant comment..... for me I grab my pelican 1510 from my studio that's the size of a Tokyo flat at 1/10 the cost and roll it into my car or truck and drive to a shoot.

Someone in that Tokyo flat who doesn’t have a car, maybe walks, bikes, takes public transit and wants a variety of modular options to bring with to a shoot is one of many target consumers. Versatility and functionality trumps ergonomics for SOME people.

Someone who wants to travel even lighter and takes a tripod and doesn’t need flash? Great, don’t need a beefy grip, viewfinder, or a hotshoe. Someone who mainly does video work and never uses those the features either?....great! Now they can pack much lighter and minimize their gear and workflow. Hopefully the price will also be inline and save money on unneeded features for those in that market as well.

Use your imagination not your crappy jokes. Population densities and cultural norms play a big role in lifestyle and marketing products.
What an ignorant comment.

Lenses optimized for a fullframe digital sensor are big, and your appeal to "population densities and cultural norms" can do nothing about it.

Upvote 0

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
What an ignorant comment.

Lenses optimized for a fullframe digital sensor are big, and your appeal to "population densities and cultural norms" can do nothing about it.
Of course, my appeals can't change anything. That's the point. But a market need can drive a manufacturer to do something about it. What do you think the purpose of a pancake lens is for? (I wouldn't consider those "big") What is the purpose of this new Sigma body? Do you think Sigma and others will continue to innovate and make smaller bodies and smaller lenses for those bodies?

Should Fuji just keep a tradition medium format body size for their mirrorless versions?

That's not even the only purpose, to make smaller products, it's one of many purposes. If you want to slap a massive telephoto on this camera, cool. If you want to put it in a small pocket of your hiking bag and a few small lenses, cool. It's the versatility that is also attractive.

What exactly is your angle here? Is it to be ignorant and critical or do you have a purpose to your comments? Anything intelligent to contribute that isn't easily countered?

Upvote 0