SIGMA to start producing RF mount lenses in 2021

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
What's the problem with the RF70-200mm/2.8 (external zoom)?
There's nothing wrong with the RF70-200mm F2.8L. It's an amazing lens and so fast and sharp when paired with the R5. They might do a version with internal zoom but it will be bigger due to simple physics. The size of the RF is great for carrying and storing in a bag. Like you I cant see the issue, apart from it's not cheap but then quality never is

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

gruhl28

Canon 70D
Jul 26, 2013
With the mirrorless designs (their DN lenses), you could always choose the rotation direction in the menus (at least on Panasonic cameras). But yes, Sigma's lenses have always been the Canon rotation.
I've heard of choosing the rotation direction for focusing, but zooming is almost always mechanical, so I don't see how that could be set with a menu.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I'm intrigued what people use the control ring for. I have a mix of EF and RF lenses now and haven't used the control ring as the R5 has 3 ring/dials + joystick already.

The default setting on my RF 85mm f/2 is exposure comp, which I've used maybe once or twice so far. I'd prefer the lens to be cheaper and just not include the control ring though.

Upvote 0
There's nothing wrong with the RF70-200mm F2.8L. It's an amazing lens and so fast and sharp when paired with the R5. They might do a version with internal zoom but it will be bigger due to simple physics. The size of the RF is great for carrying and storing in a bag. Like you I cant see the issue, apart from it's not cheap but then quality never is

Every comparison I have seen suggest it's one of the worst modern 70-200's optically. Not nearly as good as the EF II or III when compared side by side. It's small, light and good enough but clearly compromises were made to obtain the small size and light weight.

Upvote 0
The EF Arts generally have low coma ( or none at all in the case of the 40mm ) and certainly are vastly better than most of their Canon equivalents.

But a shorter flange distance makes correction more difficult since the lightpath angles are more acute.

Canon doesn't have a 14 f/1.8, so yeah, the Art is vastly better than a non-existent lens :giggle:

I only mention the coma since it since it's a known issue for the Art 14 1.8 when shot wide open, and wide open is where you always want to use it for astro if you could. Maybe Sigma will follow Canon's lead and make wider-aperture lenses for RF, so maybe we can get a larger 14 1.4 that is coma-free by 1.8.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
if they can do what canon hasnt done yet an INTERNAL ZOOM RF 2.8 70-200mm or 75-250mm with better zoom rings and good IS & AF then im all in especially if it in black
I've used one extending barrel lens or another for 15 years in Asia and USA, never had a problem. I was surprised about the 70-200mm 's design, grumbled a little, and then remembered what I just wrote in the last sentence.

Color? Ok, you're just being silly, right? Pulling our legs? Or are you afraid somebody might confuse it with a SONY?

Upvote 0
Color? Ok, you're just being silly, right? Pulling our legs? Or are you afraid somebody might confuse it with a SONY?
They only issue I have with Canon's white colour has been the paint chips from normal usage around the mounts/plates.
It looks like the RF lens bodies are different to the EF ones so hopefully the paint won't chip in the future.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
They only issue I have with Canon's white colour has been the paint chips from normal usage around the mounts/plates.
It looks like the RF lens bodies are different to the EF ones so hopefully the paint won't chip in the future.
I had not heard that about big white lenses' paint chipping.

After a little thought, however, I know I shouldn't judge people's preferences. I wouldn't want a pink or neon green lens. Blue or charcoal might work.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Every comparison I have seen suggest it's one of the worst modern 70-200's optically. Not nearly as good as the EF II or III when compared side by side. It's small, light and good enough but clearly compromises were made to obtain the small size and light weight.
Could I request for a link to a comparison where it is suggested that 'it' is the worst modern 70-200 optically? Thank you, sir.

Upvote 0
Could I request for a link to a comparison where it is suggested that 'it' is the worst modern 70-200 optically? Thank you, sir.
DPR attempted to compare 1st party 70-200mm/2.8 lenses which is a bit of fun. If you already are in a system then there isn't much choice. It doesn't go into 3rd party versions though. If you want par focal then it is not the best for instance. Depends on your usage but the size/weight makes it unique relative to its peers.
https://www.dpreview.com/videos/912...0-200mm-f2-8-zooms-canon-nikon-sony-panasonic

Upvote 0
I had not heard that about big white lenses' paint chipping.
After a little thought, however, I know I shouldn't judge people's preferences. I wouldn't want a pink or neon green lens. Blue or charcoal might work.
Doesn't have to be a big white... my EF70-200mm had the paint chipped off it around the EF mount and foot. Canon offers black, white and a sort of grey for the 600/800 f11
White stands out nicely for the big whites in the sporting bays vs Nikon's black lenses. Interesting that Sony copied Canon. Might actually be for heating issues but the trend to change from metal barrels may mean that the colour is less relevant than before.
chips.jpg

Upvote 0