Skipping the 5D-s. What do you want in 5D4?

Mar 2, 2012
dilbert said:
5. Dual CF
Not enough space in the camera.

I don't think it would take much re-design to get dual CF slots in there. It would have to be only slightly thicker, I'd imagine, or if they made a change to the battery grip, they could probably move the slots forward and get away with the same thickness.

Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-ports.jpg

However I imagine they'll be re-using the majority of the 5D3 body, like with the S and R.

Upvote 0
I would like to see 10-11 stops of DR at ISO 6400, and 9-10 stops at ISO 12800. Similar to the A7s. I could really use more at high ISO for off-angle shots of birds and wildlife. I tend to limit myself to strait-on (or mostly so) shots with the sun at my back to minimize scene DR...but that gets fairly boring after a while. Would be nice to have more than 6-8 stops of DR at high ISO so that off-angle shots don't max out the camera.

The other big thing for me would be getting full iTR metering and a 7-8fps frame rate. I was quite comfortable with the 8fps of my 7D...the 6fps of the 5D III feels a bit limiting. With a 150k iTR Meter and AF system and the same 61pt AF, I think the 5D IV would be a powerhouse for wildlife.

The silent shutter would also be awesome. I've scared off some birds and animals with the 5D III shutter once I get close.

I'd be happy with around the same resolution on the 5D IV as well. I think 24mp would be an ideal number, but anything 20+ would be fine.

That's all I NEED. More low ISO DR would be nice, but I don't see Canon doing that. And it wouldn't be necessary for what I would primarily use the camera for.

Upvote 0
May 30, 2013
cliffwang said:
RLPhoto said:
The 5D-s will be $4k and a premium studio camera. Great for those who have the need and Canon responded in a way to the two year old D800.

For those who aren't going to buy this camera, what does canon need to do in the 5D4 to consider an upgrade? Assuming that the 5D4 will have no less specs than the 5D-s, What else need to be added on?

My list.

1. All Crosstype AF
2. Linked AF Point Spot Metering? (May be in 5D-s)
3. 1/250th Sync speed bump.
4. Bump to 7-8 FPS.
5. Dual CF
6. DPAF
7. 4K
8. Touchscreen
9. Peaking and Zebra
10. RAW 1080P Video or 4K if possible. (ML managed to do it. Canon can.)
11. IQ, Resolution Bump from 22MP to Anything below 40MP.
12. $3499.

1. All Crosstype AF
Would be nice.
Strong agree

7. 4K
Strong agree

9. Peaking and Zebra
Would be nice, but not not important because ML will support it.

Would be nice.

Agree.

12. $3499.
Agree. Of cause the lower the better.

+1 this looks good to me...

Upvote 0
Here’s my overly-ambitious list. Yes, I realize almost none of these are going to happen. I’ve been a Canon shooter for 6 years now; I’ve learned to keep my expectations in-check. (read: low)

In order of importance:
1. 14 stops DR.
Doubt it.
2. 4k video or 1080p RAW or at least 1080p with a much beefier codec.
I think 4k is possible, but I’m not getting my hopes up. I shoot and love RAW 1080p with Magic Lantern right now…hopefully they won’t make the Mk III un-Magic Lantern-able. I doubt they would give us RAW video built-in. As not even their cinema cameras (which have robbed the Mk III of good video features) can do this. I want 4k because it would allow me to down-res and get very-crispy 1080p. I would also give me smaller file sizes than RAW 1080p does!
3. 1-stop better high ISO
I think we’ll get 1/3 stop better high iso in RAW. Canon will likely talk about how much cleaner the .jpg’s are and only give us drastic differences on that front.
4. Flip screen
So handy for both video and for low-to-the-ground landscape/tripod shots. Canon doesn’t seem to want to put these on any of their higher-end cameras though.
5. Touch screen
I never thought I’d care much for this feature, but since getting an EOS-M I now find myself unconsciously trying to touch the screen on my Mk III!
6. WiFi
It would be nice to have just to be able to transfer files to/from a computer without having to use a card-reader. One less piece of gear to remember. I’ve forgotten a CF reader in the past and been royally hosed by it!

Random crap I’ve always wanted but may never get:
Backlit buttons: cars have had this for…what? 30 years? Why don’t any Canon DSLRs have backlit buttons for use in the dark? Couldn’t they at least make them glow in the dark?

Things I don’t care about:
Burst rate: current is more than adequate for my needs
AF system: see above
Megapixels: do whatever you need to do to get the DR up and the noise down! As long as it has more resolution than my cellphone, I do not care!
GPS: I do a lot of mountaineer and you’d think I would love this feature but, I bought the add-on GPS unit and I rarely use it. Maybe I would if it were built-in?

Upvote 0
They can do whatever they want, as long as they add awesome features and add significant IQ compared to the Mark III. Otherwise there is little to no reason to upgrade. a Built in RT trigger would be awesome. Please no swivel screen, I care nothing about video. That would be ridiculous for a pro DSLR. A touch screen could be handy for those who need it, but add a option to disable it in the menu.

Upvote 0

K

Jan 29, 2015
Memdroid said:
They can do whatever they want, as long as they add awesome features and add significant IQ compared to the Mark III. Otherwise there is little to no reason to upgrade. a Built in RT trigger would be awesome. Please no swivel screen, I care nothing about video. That would be ridiculous for a pro DSLR. A touch screen could be handy for those who need it, but add a option to disable it in the menu.

Fully agree. I never understood all the craze over video in a DSLR. If one is that serious about video, get a dedicated video camera - they are easily superior. Manufacturers love it, despite the DSLR being a terribly inadequate and incorrect platform for video - because it expands the market for DSLR's, particularly in a shrinking camera market. There absolutely are people who buy DSLR's with video in mind. Everything about video in a DSLR is compromise, a work in progress and always lacking in some way. Yet, the push continues for video.

Swivel screen makes the camera less robust. Touch screen is fine, but as you said - add a menu item to disable it.

My prediction is that the 5D4 is not getting an articulating screen. If Canon decides to answer the D750 first full-frame with an articulating screen, they'll probably do so with the 6D2, which is terribly unfortunate as I am looking forward to the 6D2 as being a cheaper FF alternative to the 5D line like it currently is.

Upvote 0
1. 4K Video (us video guys like it because the sensors are huge and we can use awesome Canon glass, thats why)
2. Better DR, something comparable to the D750

Those are really my two main things, if they lack either one of those, Im not sure Ill buy it myself. (Ok, I probably will)

Bonus features-

3. Peaking Focus - It appears to exist on the M3 already, why the heck not?
4. Articulating Screen - I love these things
5. Touch Screen - Yes, I want it on my 5Diii. Much faster and easier to navigate menus.

Is that too much to ask?

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
My guess is that we'll get:
-New AF system from future 1D X Mk II
-Interchangeable VF screens
-The 7DII features
-EC with Auto ISO in M
-24MP sensor with ~1 stop high ISO improvement, maybe ~1 stop DR improvement
-New video features (me-too 4k and others)
-DIGIC 6
-GPS
-UHS-I
-USB 3.0
-Same FPS
-Distortion correction
-AF during video
-A few smaller surprises
+1 :)

Upvote 0

zim

Canon Rumors Premium
Oct 18, 2011
AF linked spot metering
EC with Auto ISO in M
Min increase to 1/250th Sync
7-8 fps with larger buffer
AF confirmation sorted (Not sure if it already has been on the 5D3)
Cross type AF points at 3rd's position
24MP sensor (at most)
1 stop higher ISO
1 stop DR improvement

I truth if I could afford a 1Dx I'd have got one a year ago. Maybe I just need to man up :'(

Upvote 0

JoeDavid

Unimpressed
Feb 23, 2012
Arnoldvb said:
A FF version of the 7dII, with good low and high ISO performance and between 24 and 30 MP.

Absolutely for a general purpose FF camera. I took a 7Dm2 and a 5Dm3 on a photography trip in January and ended up shooting more with the 7D than the 5D. On trips like that one I shoot every thing from landscape to occasional wildlife to street photography and use the silent shooting mode a lot. It doesn't sound like much but being able to push the rate up to 4fps from 3 is great. The only thing missing from that camera is a touchscreen for use with live view shooting. The image quality of the 7Dm2 sensor compared to the last crop sensor camera I'd used was eye opening. I would take a scaled up version of the 7D's AF system too. I had the opportunity to shoot some surfing during the trip with the 7D and the new version of the 100-400. Even when shooting with strong back lighting the camera locked onto the surfer and tracked them flawlessly. The "in focus" rate was almost 100%. Amazing...

The report on the in camera GPS is not as glowing. Slower to sync up and quick to loose lock compared to the 6D. Maybe the rugged body design has I little too much metal for the in-body approach to be as successful as the 6D.

Upvote 0
'Skipping'?

There's no skipping considering that the 5Ds is a different beast aimed at a different photographer. The true successor would be the Mk IV, and the time between 5D product updates is long enough that there's no reason to skip a model unless the features list really is disappointing, or of course if money is the issue that it usually is for normal mortals.

All I really want is some more DR and improvements across the board. When it comes I will likely wait for a year or so for prices to come down, and then bite.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
RLPhoto said:
What does canon need to do in the 5D4 to consider an upgrade?

1. All Crosstype AF
3. 1/250th Sync speed bump.
4. Bump to 7-8 FPS.
5. Dual CF
6. DPAF
7. 4K
8. Touchscreen
9. Peaking and Zebra
12. $3499.

Everything you list except:
-Limit MP to 24MP
plus:
-Size & weight shrink

Anyone who has worked with the mature touchscreens from Panasonic (GH4) and other current cameras know that this is not an amateur or enthusiast feature. It's a valuable pro feature. Photographers who don't like it can switch it off.

-pw

Upvote 0