Small discreet bag for 5D3

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Hey gang, I'm in the market for a small shoulder bag or sling for my 5D3. I normally build these bags myself by putting photo inserts in satchel bags of varying size. But I can't find the size of bag I want.

The criteria are:

• Shoulder or sling bag. Ergonomics are to pull out a non-neck-strapped camera while the bag is on my shoulder and to take a shot.
  • Can't look like a camera bag. Nothing black or 'engineered' looking about it. No puffy padded containers. Think canvas, leather, burlap, etc.
  • I only want to put a 5D3 with one lens on it -- let's say an EF 16-35 f/4L IS (without hood) at the largest. Lens must be attached to the body. Only other cargo would be an additional battery and possibly a single 77mm filter case.
  • I expressly want the smallest thing I can get that that isn't just an SLR holster -- those are a dead giveaway and tend to bounce around uncomfortably on my hip or back.
  • Does not need to be a purpose built camera bag -- protection and padding is not needed for this, but it shouldn't have sharp plastic or metal bit inside that might scrape the camera. It just needs to not be scratchy inside.
  • Water proof does not matter.
  • Simple shoulder strap only, no complicated harness with padding or breathability considered. I can DIY that later if need be.

From that list, I've been thinking either military surplus or old Domke reportage bags? The F-4AF looks way too big, but the F-8 was deemed only big enough for a smaller mirrorless rig in the reviews I've read.

Military surplus would be fine but I can't find a bag that is quasi-cubish and sufficiently small to not be overkill.

Whaddya think? If you have an idea or specific model, please let me know!

Thx,
A

Here's what I use - Lowepro Nova 170AW. It holds the 5DIII + any lens smaller than the 70-200 f/2.8 and a flash or second lens. Plus it has a unique waterproof cover that still allows access to bag and is around $40. Most people have asked me if I'm carrying my lunch in it :)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/563927-REG/Lowepro_LP35252_PEU_Nova_170_AW_Shoulder.html

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
mackguyver said:
Here's what I use - Lowepro Nova 170AW. It holds the 5DIII + any lens smaller than the 70-200 f/2.8 and a flash or second lens. Plus it has a unique waterproof cover that still allows access to bag and is around $40. Most people have asked me if I'm carrying my lunch in it :)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/563927-REG/Lowepro_LP35252_PEU_Nova_170_AW_Shoulder.html

Closer for size, Mack, like it. Thx.

Would still like smaller, and -- the tough criteria -- it can't look like that all. Too techy / camera-ish.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
slclick said:
I'd go with the Extra Small Timbuktu Messenger bag, then you'd always have the option of putting a photo insert such as the Mountainsmith inside for extra protection and dividers if you saw fit.

Funny you should say that. I've got a 'metro' sized tiny messenger bag. See attached -- still too big!

Also -- a little loud visually and audibly. I'm trying to get away from velcro, ballistic and reflectors.

Any thoughts on military gear?

- A

Attachments

• IMG_4958.jpg
    IMG_4958.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 260
  • IMG_4961.JPG
    IMG_4961.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 270
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
slclick said:
Boy you are really making this tough! lol

How about a Chrome Niko bag and you can blackout the buckle?. I like small sling bags, I use an Incase myself. Since I'm a BR strap shooter, it just seems natural.

or this...

http://www.highsnobiety.com/2011/05/29/wtaps-military-camera-bag/

That Niko bag is not too bad. A bit flashy, but the size looks good!

I've seen a million military pouches, but I just can't find any good dimensions on them. I may just bring my rig into a military surplus store and see what fits.

- A

Upvote 0
Hi, I can recommend the Matin "Camera Bag Balade 100", which was made to fit 1 DSLR + 1-2 lenses. It's pretty well made for the cheap price.

I use the larger Matin "Camera Bag Balade 300", which is big enough to carry the 5D III + 24-70 + 2 other lenses / 1 lens + 1 flash. About a year ago I had been looking for a very inconspicuous bag and so I looked through all bags Amazon Germany had to offer (more than 1200). This one was my favorite because it was the most inconspicuous bag.
It performed very well during my 2 weeks trip to Thailand and especially in Bangkok, where I was afraid to use a larger backpack. It could be carried for several hours without problems. The padding is quite good. The padding inside can be removed and the bag can be folded to be just 2inch high. In comparison to some other bags there is a zipper to seal the main compartment, which offers a bit more protection. This no-name brand is also not known for camera bags, which might help, too.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi ahsansford.
I have a small military surplus bag, it is canvas, has a soft material divider inside, takes a 7D with grip and a 70-200 2.8, may still be a bit big? I'm out at present, but can attach a pic later if you'd like, padding currently provided by old socks!
It won't take 7D with the grip, dimensions are 11 inches long by 4 3/4 inches wide by 8 inches high, just getting ready to go to Goodwood. All gear packed so no picture with gear, sorry.
Army surplus canvas bag.
image by Valvebounce25, on Flickr

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
sunnyVan said:
You may also get a camera insert and put it in any of your own messenger bag. That's as discreet as it gets. Doesn't shout camera bag. I came across a brand called tenba on Amazon. You can look into that. They got many sizes.

I have 3 of these already and it's my #1 preferred way to shoot.

But this need is different. Again, I am gunning for basically this:

http://store.lowepro.com/toploading/adventura-tlz-25

...but without it looking like a camera bag. It must be that small. So I am gunning for a small canvas pouch on a strap. No dividers. No added chambers for another lens or a flash. Just a hole big enough for my body with one medium sized lens.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
YuengLinger said:
What makes you think any bag wouldn't attract the people you are worried about? In our bad neighborhoods in Florida, just the possibility you have a wallet with an ATM card is enough to bring out the best in people.

I'm not worried about theft and I am not shooting street. I just want a small bag that doesn't scream "camera", that's all.

- A

Upvote 0