So what has become of the rumored EOS R and C200 video feature updates?

Jan 12, 2011
I think canon is actualy having problems with the sensor readout and heat. They just cant process the full sensor in a decent speed and convert it to 4k. Thats why they stick to 1:1 pixel readout.
The 1DX II and 5D IV are offering excellent 4k quality with 1:1 pixel readout. But The full-hd image that uses the whole sensor and processes it down to 2mpixel is realy realy bad. We actualy switched to 2 gh4 for some videoproduction where we only need full-hd (but want better quality than the 1dx and 5d "hd"). The filesize wouldnt be feasable for these shootings, since we collect a lot of footage in a studio.

This is possible since AFAIK, they still develop and use their own sensors for premier products. However, they have had plenty of lead time to develop this capability. The fact that others have gotten this to work and Canon, the most profitable camera company, has not, tells us something about their priorities. In other words, they may not emphasize the R&D to do it because they are satisfied with what in their view are "good enough" video capabilities.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
More of the same old deflection. Countless hours of high quality video are reliably produced every year on devices without internal cooling fans.
And some of them are prone to overheating. Having experience with Canon, I would expect them to add a fan, which I personally don't need.

Allowing the 1Dx Mark II and 5D Mark IV to export 4K over HDMI would have reduced the thermal load on those cameras not increased it. It would also have made those cameras very competitive with the Cinema cameras available at the time.
Unfortunately, it might have delayed their introduction to the photo market, or have delayed the release of another Canon product, because when the development of 1DX2 and 5D4 started, the HDMI 2.0 interface specification had not yet been finalized.

Messing with your release schedules for a feature of such a marginal importance on a photo camera... nah, I wouldn't do it.

Upvote 0
And some of them are prone to overheating. Having experience with Canon, I would expect them to add a fan, which I personally don't need.

Unfortunately, it might have delayed their introduction to the photo market, or have delayed the release of another Canon product, because when the development of 1DX2 and 5D4 started, the HDMI 2.0 interface specification had not yet been finalized.

Messing with your release schedules for a feature of such a marginal importance on a photo camera... nah, I wouldn't do it.
How many glasses of Canon Koolaide do you have to drink on a typical day before statements like this start to make sense?

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
More of the same old deflection. Countless hours of high quality video are reliably produced every year on devices without internal cooling fans.

we're talking canon technology not anyone else. How about we call what you are saying "the same old tired comment that is meaningless"

and no, Canon hasn't. show me one top end canon cini camera that has a half decent codec and sensor that doesn't have cooling fans. they all do.

it wasn't until DIGIC 8 that they finally got h.264 running 4K without fans.

It's a problem with Canon's tech. They know it. everyone knows it .. but apparently the experts in forums do not.

what part of this don't you grasp, that's it is a critical comment about canon. they got themselves behind the curve with video / processor and sensor hardware and now the differences are glaring. however, it's not because of same idiotic lame excuse of "protecting the cini line" which doesn't even NEED protecting from ILC's. It's simply because right now Canon can't do any better.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
And I dont see any full-frame MILC with 4k thats protected against overheating. And especialy none with 60fps... :) There are physical limitations and canon isnt THAT bad at working with them.

Correction: they are bad at working with them or don't have the sensor tech or don't care to invest in the capability: take your pick :)

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Correction: they are bad at working with them or don't have the sensor tech or don't care to invest in the capability: take your pick :)
They got the only dslr with 4k 60fps, so I dont think they are THAT bad.
On MILC area its a bit disapointing. I just got the EOS R and I am very disapointed of the rolling shutter.
It feels like a gread photocamera for enthusiasts, but since I need it as well for video work, I may send it back... will decide in the next 30 days =) exciting days =)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
They got the only dslr with 4k 60fps, so I dont think they are THAT bad.
On MILC area its a bit disapointing. I just got the EOS R and I am very disapointed of the rolling shutter.
It feels like a gread photocamera for enthusiasts, but since I need it as well for video work, I may send it back... will decide in the next 30 days =) exciting days =)

So true about the 1DXII. And if only they were willing/able to improve on that tech and include it in their next mirrorless body...

Upvote 0
It’s not necessary a third EOS R camera, assuming only one EOS R (P) is coming on 14th. CR could be right, since Canon still need to deliver a high res model to match the Nikon’s offer. Hope it won’t be the last week of 2019 though... :)

BTW where is the promised firmware update for the EOS R?
I often read http://fixthephoto.com/ to be aware of such interesting things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0