A bit more about the rumored EOS R for video [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon Watch has followed up on its story about a video focused Canon EOS R camera. They have called it the EOS R5c, which is likely a placeholder. I’ll just call it the ‘EOS Rc’ for now.
It’s now being reported that the EOS Rc will have a full-frame sensor of “about 11.25mp”. For the record, the soon-to-be-launched 4K capable Sony a7S III is 12.1mp.
To me, this looks like it could be the rumored Cinema EOS C50, which is expected to be announced sometime this year.  Though the EOS C50 will use the Super35 sensor from the Cinema EOS C200.
I have not personally heard anything directly about an ‘EOS Rc’, so please take this information with a big grain of salt.

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
The Sony a7S III, while being a very capable video camera, is a lackluster stills performer. Yet they want almost as much for it as the R5. I hope that any attempt by Canon to do a similarly capable video-centric camera comes in at around $2,500.

Where have you seen “lackluster” stills performance? I know it’s 12mp, but what has been lackluster in performance?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
As heat dissipation is the primary issue with the R5/6 in terms of video (or so it seems), something would have to be unique about the Rc to address that issue. The "better heat sink" helps, but only for a short period of time as the heat has to get out of the camera and dissipate (so a heat sink is more about heat relocation and not dissipation).

Quick thoughts:
  1. A fan or some other way to circulate air, within the camera.
  2. A port or other adapter that allows the heat sink to be connected to something external that moves the heat out of the camera. I am thinking something like a battery grip with a conductive metal/metal contact point with the heat sink.
  3. More efficient/optimized internals for video that simply generate less heat.
Then as long as it could do something equivalent to 4K HQ, 4K120 (even 240?), and the same for 2K, wouldn't people be happy?

And, of course, the other limitation would be recording past 29'59" in all modes.

Upvote 0
well, if you take photos only for instagram, i guess it's phenomenal. except for the colors, but instagram has pretty filters nowadays.

For Instagram, 2 megapixels looks pretty good. I assume 12 megapixel looks fine printed up at 16x20. One of the 20x30s hanging in my house is from an 8 megapixel Canon from yesteryear.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
11.25 is 45 / 4 - so maybe the R5 sensor with videocentric read-out for 4k in HQ mode with much lower degree of heat dissipation? And some slow 45 MPix photography and DPAF for movie? Would be a great combo for me: 4k beast in terms of IQ and slow 45 MPix IQ beast in photography. Coming in at the same price as R5.
Maybe with some improved heat dissipation design ...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Yeah, I'd say given the C50 news at $3200, I'd be skeptical of Canon dropping a (full frame?) R "Cinema" body around the same time with theoretically similar or better specs. I mean, I would LOVE to see that, but the R6 is basically that Camera already minus the 4k120 and the LOG 2 and 3 Gammas. 12MP would be wonderful but would Canon drop that at this point? Seems unlikely.

Upvote 0

suteren

C200, EOS R, M100
Aug 29, 2018
For Instagram, 2 megapixels looks pretty good. I assume 12 megapixel looks fine printed up at 16x20. One of the 20x30s hanging in my house is from an 8 megapixel Canon from yesteryear.
of course you can print with 12mp, i did not intend for my comment to be taken literally. however, for professional work, 12mp IS a bit lackluster. That doesn't mean that you cannot make it work, but you do have to make it work.

Upvote 0

magarity

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2017
A port or other adapter that allows the heat sink to be connected to something external that moves the heat out of the camera. I am thinking something like a battery grip with a conductive metal/metal contact point with the heat sink.
Recall the interview with the Canon executive not long ago. He made the point about low temperature burns. Holding something that is 46C/113F (no problem at all for a processor heatsink to reach) is not uncomfortable to do but will give you a second degree burn after two hours and just one degree more slashes that time to less than one hour. From Canon's point of view where does an external heat sink go that no customer will get a burn and sue, not to mention scream 'danger' all over social media?

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
As heat dissipation is the primary issue with the R5/6 in terms of video (or so it seems), something would have to be unique about the Rc to address that issue. The "better heat sink" helps, but only for a short period of time as the heat has to get out of the camera and dissipate (so a heat sink is more about heat relocation and not dissipation).

Quick thoughts:
  1. A fan or some other way to circulate air, within the camera.
  2. A port or other adapter that allows the heat sink to be connected to something external that moves the heat out of the camera. I am thinking something like a battery grip with a conductive metal/metal contact point with the heat sink.
  3. More efficient/optimized internals for video that simply generate less heat.
Then as long as it could do something equivalent to 4K HQ, 4K120 (even 240?), and the same for 2K, wouldn't people be happy?

And, of course, the other limitation would be recording past 29'59" in all modes.
Great points. If such a machine exists it probably wouldn't be sealed. Whether you'd have active cooling or not is another story, but some sort of heatsink and open ventilation would be likely.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
of course you can print with 12mp, i did not intend for my comment to be taken literally. however, for professional work, 12mp IS a bit lackluster. That doesn't mean that you cannot make it work, but you do have to make it work.

This is supposedly a video-centric camera. Do the stills requirements of said target audience really exceed 12MP? Why?

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Recall the interview with the Canon executive not long ago. He made the point about low temperature burns. Holding something that is 46C/113F (no problem at all for a processor heatsink to reach) is not uncomfortable to do but will give you a second degree burn after two hours and just one degree more slashes that time to less than one hour. From Canon's point of view where does an external heat sink go that no customer will get a burn and sue, not to mention scream 'danger' all over social media?
So, my thought wasn't necessarily a second heat sink. But rather, you could have the heat sink in the camera, contact the external heat sink with a sealed, metal to metal connection point, and then you would dissipate the heat from the external heat sink. That way, the camera is sealed, but the heat has a way to get out.

This really isn't that different that the heat sinks on CPUs that either use fluid or sometimes just copper pipes to conduct heat away from the CPU to a fan a short distance away.

It is just a thought.

Upvote 0
Can you image those YouTube reviews? Maybe EOS HD would get their lawsuit after all from injuries caused by using that body.

Upvote 0