A bit more about the rumored EOS R for video [CR1]

The Sony a7S III, while being a very capable video camera, is a lackluster stills performer. Yet they want almost as much for it as the R5. I hope that any attempt by Canon to do a similarly capable video-centric camera comes in at around $2,500.
I have an a7sIII and despite the obvious resolution limitations, it is a fantastic stills camera.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Neither of the things you mention is "professional" (hobbyist, semi-pro). Photojournalism would definitely find 12 MP sufficient, as they switched to DSLR long before 12 MP was even available. Of course, I don't know why such a person would want this camera over a 1DX III, and not even because it shoots at 20 MP (though it doesn't hurt). I guess if they were doing a lot of on-the-spot interviews without a crew and still wanted to shoot photos and wanted to do it with 1-body 1-lens so they could chase down their targets more effectively lol.

When PJs switched to digital, newsprint was still their primary medium. That is no longer the case. And while web distributed images do not need massive file sizes, 12MP is a tad lower than what many would prefer in order to be able to frame "loose" and leave the cropping/aspect ratio up to the layout editor.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
You can have "heat dissapation" and "sealing" at the same time. If you have a thin separate portion of one or more sides or back screen, you can have an area that does the cooling *and* is designed to be just fine getting wet from the outside, with a metal (or other, possibly liquid) conduit to transfer the heat from the sealed camera to the seal-removed cooler. The cooler would have slow air flow through it powered by designed gravity assist (preferably) or by a micro fan.

You can have sealed heat exchangers. Otherwise dirty water nuclear reactors would not be possible. Nor would heat pumps, AC/refrigeration, water cooled internal combustion engines, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
You can have sealed heat exchangers. Otherwise dirty water nuclear reactors would not be possible. Nor would heat pumps, AC/refrigeration, water cooled internal combustion engines, etc.
Yes, you can seal everything, including your heat exchangers. But what is going to get the heat out of the exchanger, particularly if there is no fan? That's why I mention the heat exchanger being very unsealed so there can be a flow of heated air up through it as the air rises naturally. It won't hurt it at all to get wet (and in all probability it would cool off faster if rained on, which is even better). The only thing that must be sealed is the camera portion.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Yes, you can seal everything, including your heat exchangers. But what is going to get the heat out of the exchanger, particularly if there is no fan? That's why I mention the heat exchanger being very unsealed so there can be a flow of heated air up through it as the air rises naturally. It won't hurt it at all to get wet (and in all probability it would cool off faster if rained on, which is even better). The only thing that must be sealed is the camera portion.

You realize that the heat in the dirty water of a nuclear reactor is exchanged to the clean water side which is then cooled in non-sealed cooling towers? That the heat in refrigerant is exchanged into open air without releasing any freon into the air? Just because one side of the heat exchanger is sealed does not mean the other side must be sealed. The point is heat can be exchanged from one side of a sealed system to the outside of that sealed system.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
You realize that the heat in the dirty water of a nuclear reactor is exchanged to the clean water side which is then cooled in non-sealed cooling towers? That the heat in refrigerant is exchanged into open air without releasing any freon into the air? Just because one side of the heat exchanger is sealed does not mean the other side must be sealed. The point is heat can be exchanged from one side of a sealed system to the outside of that sealed system.
I agree that "heat can be exchanged from one side of a sealed system to the outside of that sealed system". That's what I said needed to be done. I'm also saying that a conduit of metal or circulating liquid could transfer heat from that sealed system (the camera innards) to a non-sealed cooling portion of the camera body with air flowing up through it to better dissipate the heat without using electricity.

As far as a nuclear reactor goes, I'll take your word for it as I don't think Canon will be adding one of those to their bodies just yet. ;)

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
As far as a nuclear reactor goes, I'll take your word for it as I don't think Canon will be adding one of those to their bodies just yet. ;)

I got the sense that the two of you were actually saying the same thing, and Michael didn't realize it.

Just wait until the 16K sensor @240 fps, with the downsampled 8K mode added on as an extra. LP-U235N battery (which won't need recharging for fifty years) and the body will have one of those white cooling towers, to boot.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0