Some Conflicting EOS-1D X Mark II Specifications [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
The following information comes from a very well known source, who has been correct about 80% of the time. The resolution information about the upcoming EOS-1D X Mark II contradicts what we were previously told.</p>
<p>Specifications (Italics are a direct quote):</p>
<ul>
<li>20.2mp sensor (We messed up and screwed up a translation and reported 22mp, instead of 20.2mp.)</li>
<li><em>“Some sort of a built in AA filter removal function. User can choose to have AA on or off, not too sure how that works.”</em></li>
<li>Improved dynamic range, but still won’t match the Sony sensors.</li>
<li><em>“Specifications may not be perceived as exciting as the Nikon D5.”</em></li>
</ul>
<p>Leaks for this camera have been extremely hard to come by.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Jan 11, 2016
I didn't think the Nikon D5 specifications were that exciting to be honest. Basically the Nikon D5 has 12 fps @ 20 mp, improved AF system, better DR / high ISO performance, 3 minute 4K video and (optionally) XQD.

I assume Canon will launch 1DX II with 12 fps+ @ 20-22 mp, improved AF system, better DR/high ISO, some amount of 4K video (they already have the technology from the 1Dc, might as well throw it in) and CFast. Looks pretty similar to me.

Not sure why they have a AA filter removal function though, I don't think AA filters are a problem until you get to the 36mp+ cameras. At least I haven't heard any clamoring for an AA-less 20 megapixel FF camera. I would think that is more appropriate in a future 5Ds release than a 1D series camera.

Upvote 0
Sep 12, 2011
Being able to enable or disable the AA filter is a great idea. Especially since Canon puts AA filters in and then defeats them with software anyway.

The 1DX is already an amazing camera. The Nikon D5 sounds like a good camera, but Canon is not losing out to Nikon in that range of bodies. It is the 5D & 70D Canon customers who are switching to Nikon. That's where Canon can't afford an evolutionary product this year.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
blackbox said:
4 years and not too many improvements?? I don't believe it

Well, what is there to improve? The 1DX II is definitely going to have better DR/ISO/AF/video (4K), but everything else seems fine -- nothing major seems to be wrong with the 1D X as is.

Remember, Nikon just got to 12 fps with AE/AF with the D5, so Canon doesn't even have to change the mirror box or shutter mechanisms.

Also, if they just throw in the 1Dc's video mode into the 1DX II, then they instantly have a better 4K video shooter than the D5. The 1Dc captures DCI 4K (4096x2160) but the D5 only does UHD 4K (3840x2160).

Upvote 0
blackbox said:
4 years and not too many improvements?? I don't believe it
If have 20 megapixel "only", this is a consistent improvement to the intended use:
Journalism, and other low-light situations.

I never heard a user complaining that 18 megapixel is insufficient in a 1DX. On the other hand, the line users 5D, wait at least 24 megapixel in the future 5D Mark iv.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
kevl said:
Being able to enable or disable the AA filter is a great idea. Especially since Canon puts AA filters in and then defeats them with software anyway.

Hobbul bobbal schnarffle zurp! IOW, WTF?!?

kevl said:
It is the 5D & 70D Canon customers who are switching to Nikon. That's where Canon can't afford an evolutionary product this year.

Anecdotes ≠ data. The most recently available data show Canon gaining market share and Nikon losing it.

Upvote 0
frankchn said:
I didn't think the Nikon D5 specifications were that exciting to be honest. Basically the Nikon D5 has 12 fps @ 20 mp, improved AF system, better DR / high ISO performance, 3 minute 4K video and (optionally) XQD.
True especially since Canon already had 12fps 4 years ago. The biggest unknown so far is how well the new AF works and to some extend how much better high ISO is.

I assume Canon will launch 1DX II with 12 fps+ @ 20-22 mp, improved AF system, better DR/high ISO, some amount of 4K video (they already have the technology from the 1Dc, might as well throw it in) and CFast. Looks pretty similar to me.
Improved AF system is what I'm looking for. Let's hope the improvement is better or equal to D5/D500.

Not sure why they have a AA filter removal function though, I don't think AA filters are a problem until you get to the 36mp+ cameras. At least I haven't heard any clamoring for an AA-less 20 megapixel FF camera. I would think that is more appropriate in a future 5Ds release than a 1D series camera.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
But will the 1DX2 finally get "green box" mode? Come on Canon, get with the program! Everyone else has that function and you don't have it in your flagship DSLR? ? ? Oh the shame!!!!!

Seriously though, I don't believe any claims until it is officially announced.... but the lead-up sure is good entertainment :)

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
Gino said:
I just sold my 1DX in anticipation of purchasing the new 1DX MkII, and I have to say I am shocked by this latest rumor!

If these latest underwhelming specs are true, I will hold off making a purchase to wait and see what the 5D MkIV has to offer!

Who wants to bet he'll be saying the same thing about every camera until the 1DXMkIII in 2020?

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
9VIII said:
Gino said:
I just sold my 1DX in anticipation of purchasing the new 1DX MkII, and I have to say I am shocked by this latest rumor!

If these latest underwhelming specs are true, I will hold off making a purchase to wait and see what the 5D MkIV has to offer!

Who wants to bet he'll be saying the same thing about every camera until the 1DXMkIII in 2020?
Gee.... no backup camera? If I had a 1DX and desperately needed a 1DX2, odds are extremely good that I would hold onto the 1DX as a secondary or backup camera.... If you need to be operating at that level, a backup body is essential....

Upvote 0