Some Conflicting EOS-1D X Mark II Specifications [CR2]

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
9VIII said:
Gino said:
I just sold my 1DX in anticipation of purchasing the new 1DX MkII, and I have to say I am shocked by this latest rumor!

If these latest underwhelming specs are true, I will hold off making a purchase to wait and see what the 5D MkIV has to offer!

Who wants to bet he'll be saying the same thing about every camera until the 1DXMkIII in 2020?

How does one sell an awesome camera like that not knowing when the replacement will come? Must have some other awesome stuff. More power to ya! :D

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
mackguyver said:
takesome1 said:
Gino said:
I just sold my 1DX in anticipation of purchasing the new 1DX MkII, and I have to say I am shocked by this latest rumor!

What will really shock you is when the announcement next week has nothing to do with a new DSLR. Instead it is a build up for some new goofy internet initiative. Left with no camera for another year will be very shocking.
It'll probably be for a new printer :eek:

Ceramic filter line. :eek:

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
CanonFanBoy said:
neuroanatomist said:
kevl said:
Being able to enable or disable the AA filter is a great idea. Especially since Canon puts AA filters in and then defeats them with software anyway.

Hobbul bobbal schnarffle zurp! IOW, WTF?!?

kevl said:
It is the 5D & 70D Canon customers who are switching to Nikon. That's where Canon can't afford an evolutionary product this year.

Anecdotes ≠ data. The most recently available data show Canon gaining market share and Nikon losing it.

Here's another anecdote for Kevl. I'm exactly the kind of Canon owner Kevl speaks about switching to Nikon. Guess what: It has never even crossed my mind. Not once. Not ever.

I don't have any data for support, but I surmise that there are far more people whining and threatening about jumping over to Nikon than really do. Those who do will find they can't take good photos with a Nikon either and will then switch to Sony. Finally, they'll learn they still suck. :eek:

Are you switching Kevl?

I have two 5 series bodies and the thought of switching away from Canon isn't even a distant thought. Nikon and ESPECIALLY Sony don't produce the caliber of glass I require to work. Canon's 135L is unmatched. Canon's 70-200 f2.8 IS II is unmatched (no the Nikon version is considerably softer at the long end where I shoot it most... you can even ask DxO). Nikon and especially Sony have awkward ergonomics and menus for me. I'm not going anywhere and it's plainly obvious by sales figures that most Canon users share my sentiment.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
PureClassA said:
GoldWing said:
I'm sure we'll all be under underwhelmed and dissapointed.

You've been virtualy nothing but negative of Canon since your first post. If you find their products so disappointing, by all means, vote with your wallet.

Yes, and ship that Canon trash to me.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
PureClassA said:
CanonFanBoy said:
neuroanatomist said:
kevl said:
Being able to enable or disable the AA filter is a great idea. Especially since Canon puts AA filters in and then defeats them with software anyway.

Hobbul bobbal schnarffle zurp! IOW, WTF?!?

kevl said:
It is the 5D & 70D Canon customers who are switching to Nikon. That's where Canon can't afford an evolutionary product this year.

Anecdotes ≠ data. The most recently available data show Canon gaining market share and Nikon losing it.

Here's another anecdote for Kevl. I'm exactly the kind of Canon owner Kevl speaks about switching to Nikon. Guess what: It has never even crossed my mind. Not once. Not ever.

I don't have any data for support, but I surmise that there are far more people whining and threatening about jumping over to Nikon than really do. Those who do will find they can't take good photos with a Nikon either and will then switch to Sony. Finally, they'll learn they still suck. :eek:

Are you switching Kevl?

I have two 5 series bodies and the thought of switching away from Canon isn't even a distant thought. Nikon and ESPECIALLY Sony don't produce the caliber of glass I require to work. Canon's 135L is unmatched. Canon's 70-200 f2.8 IS II is unmatched (no the Nikon version is considerably softer at the long end where I shoot it most... you can even ask DxO). Nikon and especially Sony have awkward ergonomics and menus for me. I'm not going anywhere and it's plainly obvious by sales figures that most Canon users share my sentiment.

Yup, it absolutely is the glass. Cameras get switched every three or four years. Great glass is a round a long time.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
thetechhimself said:
Digicam is reporting the same; and they are 90% accurate historically. They usually get info ~week prior to announcement on the down side, IE they're accurate, but not necessarily very early to report...

http://digicame-info.com/2016/01/eos-1d-mark-ii.html

Hmm, if that is true then I can't see many people, other than those that have worn their MkI's out, upgrading unless it is for the video. The AF with all points sensitive to f8 sounds great for TC using wildlife shooters, the 20.blur MP is a disappointment.

The specs as listed sound like an underwhelming very small incremental move rather than anything breathtaking, damn.

Canon announce soon EOS-1D X Mark II. As of specs of next EOS-1D X Mark II that is currently known.

- 20.2MP CMOS sensor. Dynamic range improvement
- Dual pixel CMOS AF
- 61-point AF system, which range is expanded. 41-point cross-type. All of the distance measuring point can be selected
- With lighting AF point red
- F8 even 61 points all of the distance measuring point can be selected
- AI AF accuracy and motion tracking has improved Servo AF III +
- Dual DIGIC6 + processor
- New mirror drive system that enables high-speed continuous shooting
- Video 4K 60fps. Possible internal recording at CFast2.0T media
- Continuous shooting up to 16 frames / sec (live view mode)
- Dual pixel CMOS AF, enables smooth AF with 4K video
- GPS built-in
- USB3.0 terminal, HDMI terminal
- Dust and water specification
- Wi-Fi option (WFT-E8)
- The size of 158mm x 167.6mm x 82.6mm
- Weight 1340g

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fdigicame-info.com%2F2016%2F01%2Feos-1d-mark-ii.html

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
As I mentioned on CR's newest post a moment ago.... I find the 61pt AF a little suspect. Doesnt the 7D2 have 65? I would suspect we would at least move beyond that with all f8. I'm gonna reserve judgement until Monday. Otherwose I damn sure am gonna oick up a 1DX on the dirt cheap.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
privatebydesign said:
sanj said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:
"Improved dynamic range, but still won’t match the Sony sensors."

Wow. And still talk of no 4k video for 5D4 much less high-quality over-sampled (of course these rumors could be wrong). And DR still not a match for Sony. Thank god for A7R II and stuff. Sure the UI and some stuff is stinky compared to Canon and it's not an action cam and can't do it all (especially not with adapted lenses), but at least there is a way to get your high DR, high MP landscapes shots and 4k video and all with IBIS and use Canon lenses (and keep and old 5D3 or whatnot around for the more action stuff). Maybe Nikon will leap in and a one body does it all, although some say they are worried by the video let down on the D5 as to what a D820 will provide.

Anyway at least there are ways to get great stuff done even if it takes dual bodies and swapping back and forth and adapters. So great times in the end all the same.

Sony does deserve a lot of praise for pushing things forward. I've 85% given up using Canon bodies at this point (and I am a very, very long time exclusive Canon body user), not sure when they will ever wake up. A shame since they do have a great UI. Their lenses are awesome too, but at least they can more or less be used on the Sony for non-action stuff.

Absolutely.

And what, exactly, have Sony pushed? After all if this is true, and I expect it to be, Canon obviously don't think better than Sony DR is important enough to get pushed by, and the truth is I value TS-E 17's and 11-24's etc etc far more than a greater ability to lift shadows. As a stills shooter and stills camera purchaser I couldn't give a damn about video specs, if my 1DX MkII costs 20c more because it has 4K and twin CFast slots I'll be pissed, I don't want or need a combined 1DX/1DC replacement, I want a 1DS MkIII replacement and I have waited very patiently for it!

Sounds as if you already happy with the 1DS MkIII or 1DX , no need to upgrade.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Adelino said:
privatebydesign said:
sanj said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:

Wow. And still talk of no 4k video for 5D4 much less high-quality over-sampled (of course these rumors could be wrong). And DR still not a match for Sony. Thank god for A7R II and stuff. Sure the UI and some stuff is stinky compared to Canon and it's not an action cam and can't do it all (especially not with adapted lenses), but at least there is a way to get your high DR, high MP landscapes shots and 4k video and all with IBIS and use Canon lenses (and keep and old 5D3 or whatnot around for the more action stuff). Maybe Nikon will leap in and a one body does it all, although some say they are worried by the video let down on the D5 as to what a D820 will provide.

Anyway at least there are ways to get great stuff done even if it takes dual bodies and swapping back and forth and adapters. So great times in the end all the same.

Sony does deserve a lot of praise for pushing things forward. I've 85% given up using Canon bodies at this point (and I am a very, very long time exclusive Canon body user), not sure when they will ever wake up. A shame since they do have a great UI. Their lenses are awesome too, but at least they can more or less be used on the Sony for non-action stuff.

Absolutely.

And what, exactly, have Sony pushed? After all if this is true, and I expect it to be, Canon obviously don't think better than Sony DR is important enough to get pushed by, and the truth is I value TS-E 17's and 11-24's etc etc far more than a greater ability to lift shadows. As a stills shooter and stills camera purchaser I couldn't give a damn about video specs, if my 1DX MkII costs 20c more because it has 4K and twin CFast slots I'll be pissed, I don't want or need a combined 1DX/1DC replacement, I want a 1DS MkIII replacement and I have waited very patiently for it!

I am and have been very happy with the 1DS MkIII, but they are 7 years old now and I want better AF, ergonomics, ISO performance, complete RT flash functionality etc etc.

But that isn't the question, the question was what, exactly, have Sony forced/pushed Canon to do? Because it seems to me they are just going about doing what they usually do. Can you tell me what Soy have pushed forwards with respect to Canon camera features?

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Mt Spokane Photography said:
tron said:
Not an expert but I do not believe that an OPTICAL AA filter can be set on and off. This seems more difficult than a 15 stop Canon sensor! Who exactly is the source of that info? Also 22Mp seems more likely....

AA Filters can also be digital, in fact, even with optical filters, there are digital ones in the processing stream.

A on/off function only makes sense for jpeg users, I doubt that raw would be affected.

How about physical filter that raises from the other side than mirror?

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
tpatana said:
ScottyP said:
Other than tweaks, or 4k video, what do people expect on a new 1D model? The AF and FPS are already great. The thing is built like a tank.

My request is better high-ISO noise, and same time more DR.
These two things (maybe with AF at F/8 for more if not all points) would be more than enough for me.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
privatebydesign said:
Adelino said:
privatebydesign said:
sanj said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:

Absolutely.

I am and have been very happy with the 1DS MkIII, but they are 7 years old now and I want better AF, ergonomics, ISO performance, complete RT flash functionality etc etc.

But that isn't the question, the question was what, exactly, have Sony forced/pushed Canon to do? Because it seems to me they are just going about doing what they usually do. Can you tell me what Soy have pushed forwards with respect to Canon camera features?

I don't think the Sonies have pushed the Canons to do anything.

Upvote 0
tpatana said:
tron said:
Not an expert but I do not believe that an OPTICAL AA filter can be set on and off. This seems more difficult than a 15 stop Canon sensor! Who exactly is the source of that info? Also 22Mp seems more likely....

AA Filters can also be digital, in fact, even with optical filters, there are digital ones in the processing stream.

A on/off function only makes sense for jpeg users, I doubt that raw would be affected.

Nikon submitted a patent filing a few years ago for a switchable AA filter using a liquid crystal layer in the sensor stack. Perhaps the rumoured Canon feature could work in a similar way.

Also, I believe Pentax implements selectable AA filtering by oscillating the sensor as high frequency/low amplitude, although they use their IBIS to enable this so it seems unlikely Canon would go this route.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
tpatana said:
tron said:

1. I think that AA filter is between a clear/protection filter and the sensor.
2. Even if the above does not apply what you suggest would make a fragile camera and the very movement of AA filter would put dust to sensor itself!

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Coldhands said:
Also, I believe Pentax implements selectable AA filtering by oscillating the sensor as high frequency/low amplitude, although they use their IBIS to enable this so it seems unlikely Canon would go this route.

True, but also because if reports over the internet are to be believed, it's implementation has been doggy to say the least, that is it does't work very well. Similar with the pixel shift tech to overcome the Bayer array effect: critically it often doesn't quite get the shift right, though I guess for for the vast majority of hobby users it is good enough.

Historically Canon don't seem to go for tech that isn't 100% reliable.

Upvote 0
I don't know what all these complaints are about.

First FF DPAF Sensor??
All AF Points working at a max aperture of f8??
4k Video with 60p (maybe for more than 3 min.) ??
Improved DR (that some people already know it will be still worse than others is just nonserious)
GPS and wifi (finally)

20MP instead of of 22 - well thats not much of a difference to me.

IF it really will have "only" 61 AFpoints, that would be the only slightly disappointing news. But lets wait for the official announcement.

Upvote 0