Some Conflicting EOS-1D X Mark II Specifications [CR2]

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
takesome1 said:
Jack Douglas said:
The official news is not today later on, right, rather Monday? This running to the computer umpteen times a day needs to stop!

Jack

I am betting against a big DSLR announcement. In the past when a new body was released there was all kind of buzz going around by this time.

It is looking like a false run.

Oh no, don't know if I can take that. I'm elderly and frail. :'(

Jack

Upvote 0
PureClassA said:
Monday or Tuesday depending where you are in the world relative to the international date line. Monday here in the USA is Tuesday in Australia. Regardless of what it is where you are, this Canon press release is happening all at the same time in its various markets.

No doubt there will be some type of press release. With past releases we saw more leaks.
Maybe Canon is keeping a tight lid on it because the specs will surprise everyone. Doubtfull, more likely a false run.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
No. It's gonna happen. Canon made a relatively rare press conference with private invitations sent out. We knew the DX2 for some time would likely be a Feb announcement with April release because this is an Olympic year. Then a huge spec list gets leaked to Digi-Came who is historically pretty accurate although we won't know for sure about the specifics until tomorrow. It's not a false run.

takesome1 said:
PureClassA said:
Monday or Tuesday depending where you are in the world relative to the international date line. Monday here in the USA is Tuesday in Australia. Regardless of what it is where you are, this Canon press release is happening all at the same time in its various markets.

No doubt there will be some type of press release. With past releases we saw more leaks.
Maybe Canon is keeping a tight lid on it because the specs will surprise everyone. Doubtfull, more likely a false run.

Upvote 0
I sure hope Canon increases the DR or their cameras. It's my major gripe right now. I came back to Canon from Nikon because of the ergonomics and lenses from Canon. I'm disappointed with iso and dr performance compared to Nikon. The positive is the colors and ease of use.. But the 1dx mkii may be an indication of what's to come... So I'm hoping.

I also feel spot metering on selected focus points is important. Frame rate is ok as is... I don't shoot sports.. 4k, don't use it but may in the future, would be nice to have but not if it raises the price of the bodies too much. A larger buffer also.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
DLD said:
I also feel spot metering on selected focus points is important.

Every 1 series DSLR has had AF point linked spot metering, since before the were DSLR's and were just SLR's.
Yes but the 5D do not, and that's what I was talking about. The D810, D750, D610 and even the D7200 from Nikon do. After using some of those cameras it's a very nice thing to have... Not that it's a make or break situation, but I do feel it is important..

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
DLD said:
privatebydesign said:
DLD said:
I also feel spot metering on selected focus points is important.

Every 1 series DSLR has had AF point linked spot metering, since before the were DSLR's and were just SLR's.
Yes but the 5D do not, and that's what I was talking about.

Except the thread is about the 1D X II, and that was the only camera you mentioned...

Upvote 0
takesome1 said:
Jack Douglas said:
The official news is not today later on, right, rather Monday? This running to the computer umpteen times a day needs to stop!

Jack

I am betting against a big DSLR announcement. In the past when a new body was released there was all kind of buzz going around by this time.

It is looking like a false run.

I'll take that bet....the fact that we have pictures and a full spec list from the site (digicame-info) that releases the pictures and spec list a few days before every big release makes me about 100% certain it is coming tomorrow.

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
expatinasia said:
dilbert said:
In both of these cases, the 1DX has stopped writing to the file at the 18 minute mark. A little bit more than half way to 29:59. I'd call "18 minutes" well before "29 minutes and 59 seconds". Maybe you don't but I do.
The 1DX does not stop recording at 18:XX mins the video file just gets put into another file.

I didn't say that the 1DX stopped recording, I said that it stopped writing to the file. As you've pointed out, this is not the same. And people get upset at me for not understanding or misrepresenting ;)

But people have said in this thread that multiple files is bad. Even you said that. Yet you put up with it - from Canon.

If you used larger cards (128GB or more) then you would get larger files and more than 18:XX minutes of video per file.

The videos I mentioned which are about 3.8GB in size and roughly 18:XX mins long were recorded in IPB at 1920x1080 at 25 frames per second.

3.8GB for 18 minutes is only 28Mbps or roughly 7MB/sec (average.)

You're all having a dig at Nikon for doing multiple 3minute files for 4K video but the reason Nikon does it is exactly the same that Canon cameras already split up 1080p video. Nobody seems to want to accept or acknowledge that.

It will be interesting to see if the 1DXII will record 4K at all to non-CFast cards and how long (in time) the video file segments are when recording to (say) 64GB CFast cards as the camera will with FAT32 and files will be limited to 4GB in size.

Summary:

The behavior of the 1DX with FAT32 cards is exactly the same as the Nikon D5. Expect the 1DXII to be the same too.

I said I wasn't going to reply but I must be some sort of glutton for punishment!

I will speak slowly now:

Too many files are bad, messy and increase the risk of errors being made in post.

On the 1DX in IPB and 1920x1080 at 25fps I can record (in real life) about 18 minutes to one 3.9XGB file.

Or up to around 36 minutes in two files.

That's fine.

I would not use a camera that gave me, for example, 6 or 7 files for an 18 minute video. It would be very messy in post and not what I would want. I would then use a different camera, or card (if that made a difference).

I am only talking about today, not what I may be shooting tomorrow or in a year's time.

For future hypothesis, if the 1DX II shoots 4K and only records one file of around 3mins to either CFast or CF then I am 100% sure I won't be buying it. If however, I can record videos, as I do now, of around 18 minutes to one file in 4K then I will consider it. But quite frankly, if the rumoured specs that we have are true, then I doubt I will get the 1DX II anyway, as I will keep my 1DX for stills and 1080p work and invest in something different for 4K video work. But I will cross that bridge when I know 100% for sure what the specs are of the new flagship DSLR.

Upvote 0
expatinasia said:
For future hypothesis, if the 1DX II shoots 4K and only records one file of around 3mins to either CFast or CF then I am 100% sure I won't be buying it. If however, I can record videos, as I do now, of around 18 minutes to one file in 4K then I will consider it.

I haven't checked on the 1DX, but usually the 4GB limit is due to the filesystem being used, FAT32. I would expect any serious 4K video camera to have an option to use a different filesystem that can write much larger files.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/06/review-is-microsofts-new-data-sharing-system-a-cross-platform-savior/

Upvote 0
Orangutan said:
expatinasia said:
For future hypothesis, if the 1DX II shoots 4K and only records one file of around 3mins to either CFast or CF then I am 100% sure I won't be buying it. If however, I can record videos, as I do now, of around 18 minutes to one file in 4K then I will consider it.

I haven't checked on the 1DX, but usually the 4GB limit is due to the filesystem being used, FAT32. I would expect any serious 4K video camera to have an option to use a different filesystem that can write much larger files.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/06/review-is-microsofts-new-data-sharing-system-a-cross-platform-savior/

Yes, I would expect so. Which is why the D5's 3-minute file limit is all the more confusing.

Upvote 0
expatinasia said:
Orangutan said:
expatinasia said:

Yes, I would expect so. Which is why the D5's 3-minute file limit is all the more confusing.
I would guess a firmware update will address that, I can't imagine that videographers would tolerate it for very long. I suppose there's a tiny chance that Nikon will include some merge utility to perform a "seamless" stitch immediately after transfer to computer, but I don't think it would be well received.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
expatinasia said:
Orangutan said:
expatinasia said:

Just thinking out loud here....

On a Canon, 2K video will fill the maximum file size in 18 minutes.....

Quite possibly, 4K video at a similar quality would fill the maximum file size in 4 1/2 minutes....

If Nikon is storing the file at a higher bit depth, then it is possible that they are filling the max file size in under that time, say 3 minutes and something, and decided to just make it exactly 3 minutes for consistency in editing...

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Jack Douglas said:
CR must be pleased. I've only been around a couple of years but it sure seems the ranks have swelled the last couple weeks. Where's everyone coming from? Is this typical?

Jack

Yes it is pretty typical when there is a new big body release due, the 7D MkII wasn't as big as the 5 series, just wait for the 5D MkIV rumors to start rolling :)

Upvote 0