SONY A99 ii VS Canon 5div

Dec 11, 2015
ritholtz said:
If some one wants video AF, probably Canon is better between these two. Sony can only video AF in P mode ( No AF in M, A, S modes) and with aperture fixed at f/3.5. If you want to video AF with f//1.4 lens, it is going to work like f/3.5 lens. In contrast, Canon can video AF fine with faster apertures and all exposure modes.
Canon offers usable video AF. That's much bigger than just video AF.

Upvote 0
Jopa said:
ritholtz said:
If some one wants video AF, probably Canon is better between these two. Sony can only video AF in P mode ( No AF in M, A, S modes) and with aperture fixed at f/3.5. If you want to video AF with f//1.4 lens, it is going to work like f/3.5 lens. In contrast, Canon can video AF fine with faster apertures and all exposure modes.
Thats why Canon upgrading their Lens, wish to see STM and nano USM lens.
And eventally stop supporting all old USM lens.

Upvote 0
Jopa said:
ritholtz said:
Yes. It has best video AF with DPAF.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
deadwrong said:
Could you just imagine if this sort of rumour came true on the A9? It would blow the camera industry up.

http://thenewcamera.com/sony-a6500-and-sony-a9-rumors/

Resolution isn't much better than the 5DS/R.

When it says "unlimited burst mode till the card last / No buffer limitation." I assume that is JPEG. Canon can do that.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
deadwrong said:
Could you just imagine if this sort of rumour came true on the A9? It would blow the camera industry up.

you are really sounding like a sony fangirl.

people THINK that sony shakes the industry.. i think some have been saying that since the dawn of Alpha.

however, they really don't.

however an E-mount A99II would be certainly intriguing. they obviously have it right. there. waiting. just change the mount, and move the SLT.

Upvote 0
deadwrong said:

Well, I´m at present healed from Sony. Baaad service.
But 70MP with 20fps and an incredible Bionz sensor - bought with an company related better service & guarentee - would be worth to be one of my last purchases

Upvote 0
Mikehit said:
deadwrong said:

Resolution isn't much better than the 5DS/R.

When it says "unlimited burst mode till the card last / No buffer limitation." I assume that is JPEG. Canon can do that.

An earlier rumor states dual QXD cards. If that is true than it would be unlimited RAW. And QXD cards would be capable of doing that. The question is do they degrade it to a 12bit raw like the current A7II and A7rII.

Upvote 0
I would argue that unless you already own lenses for the A99 there is really no comparison. The 5DIV is just better supported. Canon in general has better lenses. If I was a pro I would chose the Canon 5DIV over the A99 II any day. But I would not hesitate to buy a A7rII. This is because most of the great Canon will work great on the A7rII. It is useless with an A99 II. Sony's long telephoto A mount lenses are grossly over priced. Good luck getting a third party lens with image stabilization. Tamron removes it from most of their offerings.

If your main goal is video and stills in the same camera then you are going to have to compromise somewhere. If you shoot primarily video you should just buy a video camera.

If Sony makes the A9 and it is not outrageously expensive it will be my next camera. But the A99 II just does not make any sense to me except for the existing A mount faithful that are still clinging to their Minolta lenses.

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
deadwrong said:

you are really sounding like a sony fangirl.

people THINK that sony shakes the industry.. i think some have been saying that since the dawn of Alpha.

however, they really don't.

however an E-mount A99II would be certainly intriguing. they obviously have it right. there. waiting. just change the mount, and move the SLT.

Actually i really like Canon, i have alot of Canon products other than Cameras even. But i cant help but put the props out for a company like Sony that is seemingly advancing and pushing these other big guys around abit.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
deadwrong said:
Actually i really like Canon, i have alot of Canon products other than Cameras even. But i cant help but put the props out for a company like Sony that is seemingly advancing and pushing these other big guys around abit.

Sony pushing CaNikon around? With their market share....?
Still, its nice for the 'big boys' to have a proof-of-concept platform to test the waters for them while they concentrate on things that matter to photographers in the real world.

Upvote 0