SONY A99 ii VS Canon 5div

5div killer?

Sony A99 II finally announced by Sony today, the camera features 42 megapixel CMOS sensor same as of Sony A7R II camera. The standard ISO range of the camera is 100-25600, expandable to ISO 50 – 102,400. And it can also record 4K at 100Mbps (using XAVC S) with full sensor read-out and no pixel binning, both stills and video supported by 5 axis image stabilization system. Sony A99 II Hybrid AF system with 399 + 79 AF points. The camera can shoot upto 12frames per second with continuous AF tracking.

http://thenewcamera.com/sony-a99-ii-announced-press-release-full-specification-and-more/

4000$ Canadian - as opposed to 4600$ for the Canon 5d iv............hmmmm did Canon just get blown out of the water?

Mar 2, 2012
deadwrong said:
the camera features 42 megapixel CMOS sensor same as of Sony A7R II camera.

I'm surprised that sensor is capable of 12FPS.

Granted the new architecture should facilitate faster read, but the IMX094 (A7R, D800, D810, Pentax K1) maxes out at 4.7 full frame (per Sony). So it's writing out 17% more and doing it 155% faster. Color me skeptical.

Upvote 0
deadwrong said:
Seriously? I am looking at that 5d iv and this A99ii looks like the camera everyone wants......it has everything. How will Canon compete with that?

Glad i didnt pull the trigger on the 5d iv just yet. I will watch the reviews on this one soon and choose.
Please please choose the A99II... Pretty please..?

Upvote 0
3kramd5 said:
deadwrong said:

Granted the new architecture should facilitate faster read, but the IMX094 (A7R, D800, D810, Pentax K1) maxes out at 4.7 full frame (per Sony). So it's writing out 17% more and doing it 155% faster. Color me skeptical.
There is some text about 12 fps with first image in focus and also no focusing during video with faster aperture. May be some one here educate us this limitations.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
ritholtz said:
3kramd5 said:
deadwrong said:

There is some text about 12 fps with first image in focus and also no focusing during video with faster aperture. May be some one here educate us this limitations.

I'm just surprised it can push that much data through the ADCs regardless of whether any focusing is performed, etc.

Upvote 0
IglooEater said:
deadwrong said:
Seriously? I am looking at that 5d iv and this A99ii looks like the camera everyone wants......it has everything. How will Canon compete with that?

Glad i didnt pull the trigger on the 5d iv just yet. I will watch the reviews on this one soon and choose.
Please please choose the A99II... Pretty please..?

Yawn.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
deadwrong said:
5div killer?

Sony A99 II finally announced by Sony today, the camera features 42 megapixel CMOS sensor same as of Sony A7R II camera. The standard ISO range of the camera is 100-25600, expandable to ISO 50 – 102,400. And it can also record 4K at 100Mbps (using XAVC S) with full sensor read-out and no pixel binning, both stills and video supported by 5 axis image stabilization system. Sony A99 II Hybrid AF system with 399 + 79 AF points. The camera can shoot upto 12frames per second with continuous AF tracking.

http://thenewcamera.com/sony-a99-ii-announced-press-release-full-specification-and-more/

4000$ Canadian - as opposed to 4600$ for the Canon 5d iv............hmmmm did Canon just get blown out of the water?

alot of caveats on that 12fps shooting I noticed.

it uses an EVF. some may like it.

oh .. and there's no new full frame lenses (outside of AF updates) for what.. the last 4-5 years? the SSM II lenses were just AF updates. no element / glass improvement.

you're going to get this serviced at precision camera in the USA? lol...

enjoy.

this is a great camera for Alpha mount users that are still hanging on..

but in reality? with no new glass in 4+ years, it's really hard to take Sony A mount seriously.

Upvote 0
fussy III said:
deadwrong said:
5div killer?

I am not surprised by the A99 II. I see smart and ambitious managers at work there who listen to photographers.

The Sony A99 II like the Pentax K-1 are truly addressing generalists to the maximum of each company's capacities. Compared to these efforts Canon has again been holding back with their 5D IV. That is what I have been talking about in another discussion and what I regard as actively crippling. I believe the omissions of the 5D IV weren't about pricepoint or incapacities but about internal strategies. Now or never: Reach out, Canon!

My gripes with the Sony A99II: I still much prefer optical viewfinder + on the old A99 (have been using it for a month), the liveview on the tilt-screen was ridiculous. It did not even have a gravity sensor and did not switch automatically into high-format when needed. (btw: The viewfinder blackouts were terrible as well but this sure has been solved now.) The fact that Canon has at hands the best live-view AF and at the same time the best flippy-concept (sideways) makes it all the more frustrating that they have not implemented this combination into a fullframe body yet.

But if you forget about fps what really is pushing things further at photokina to me comes from Fuji.
EVFviewfinder-wise the new Fuji GFX did what I had long been argumenting for and been dreaming of. Fuji managers it seems are not only listening but creating art themselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzR6f91AjWc

WOW WOW WOW

No need to get fussy here!!!
Guess I am in love.

You posted this precise reply in another thread (your much contested '5D4 is crippled' one). Bad form.

Upvote 0
Sep 15, 2012
Wow those specs are insane or we are just used to Canon milking the tech, i was planing to upgrade my 5D3 to the 5D4 now i feel like Canon is ripping us off. I was thinking well the 5D4 is close to what other companies are doing but i forget that Canon just caught up to them and now Sony is blowing them out of the water in specs.

42mp
12FPS
4K video 120FPS
4K full frame
SLOG
Clean HDMI

Camera is using 5K image then downsampling it to 4k with out pixel binning making the image even higher quality then directly recording 1:1 pixel 4k like Canon

not going to pay for the garbage Canon is selling maybe by the time 5D5 comes out they will get back to making products like the 5D2, i mean come on how long did it take for Canon to give us in camera intervalometer? something that almost any camera device had for years? and people are still bagging them for Zebras,focus peeking,SLOG,clean HDMI? well here but NO 4K for you because?? well just wait for 5D5 LOL

Upvote 0
I don't really see the advantage of this type camera with the translucent mirror. I suppose the mirror is not moving so its not slowing things down but if its in the way of the sensor its going to also block some of the light. How much? There are some advantages to a mirrorless camera in some situations but this thing? Maybe it has some of the advantages of mirroless and some of a dslr but I don't see it as better than either one.

Make a hot shoe evf for your dslr's canon.

Upvote 0
emko said:
Wow those specs are insane or we are just used to Canon milking the tech, i was planing to upgrade my 5D3 to the 5D4 now i feel like Canon is ripping us off. I was thinking well the 5D4 is close to what other companies are doing but i forget that Canon just caught up to them and now Sony is blowing them out of the water in specs.

42mp
12FPS
4K video 120FPS
4K full frame
SLOG
Clean HDMI

Camera is using 5K image then downsampling it to 4k with out pixel binning making the image even higher quality then directly recording 1:1 pixel 4k like Canon

not going to pay for the garbage Canon is selling maybe by the time 5D5 comes out they will get back to making products like the 5D2, i mean come on how long did it take for Canon to give us in camera intervalometer? something that almost any camera device had for years? and people are still bagging them for Zebras,focus peeking,SLOG,clean HDMI? well here but NO 4K for you because?? well just wait for 5D5 LOL

::) ::) ::)

Upvote 0
emko said:
42mp
12FPS
4K video 120FPS
4K full frame
SLOG

The A99II only does 1080P at 120fps, not 4K. Also, I wouldn't be so sure that the downsampled 5K will be better than what the 5D4 is putting out. Northrup's video comparing the 5D4 and A7Rii showed the 5D4 to have better detail than the A7Rii in 4K mode which uses the sample downsampling technique.

Upvote 0
scyrene said:
fussy III said:
But if you forget about fps what really is pushing things further at photokina to me comes from Fuji.
EVFviewfinder-wise the new Fuji GFX did what I had long been argumenting for and been dreaming of. Fuji managers it seems are not only listening but creating art themselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzR6f91AjWc

WOW WOW WOW

No need to get fussy here!!!
Guess I am in love.

You posted this precise reply in another thread (your much contested '5D4 is crippled' one). Bad form.

How and when did you to find out?

Upvote 0