Tamron Announces the SP 85mm F/1.8 Di VC USD

Etienne said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
camerabug said:
I really wish there was more news from Canon instead of posted articles from third party. I probably will never buy 3rd party due to algorithms having to be backwards engineered.
I wish Canon decided to throw some lenses that are missing in your line, and renew some old lenses.
A short list:

EF-S 10mm F2.8
EF-S 15mm F2
EF-S 22mm F1.8
EF-S 30mm F1.4
EF-S 8-16mm F3.5-4.5
EF-S 15-50mm F2.8 IS (not changes size during zoom)
EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS ii
EF-S 50-135mm F2 IS (not changes size during zoom)
EF 20mm F2.8 ii
EF 24mm F1.4 L iii
EF 50mm F1.4 IS
EF 50mm F1.2 L ii (focusing faster)
EF 85mm F1.8 IS
EF 85mm F1.2 L iii (focusing faster)
EF 100mm F2 IS
EF 135mm F2 L IS
EF 24-200mm F3.5-5.6 IS
EF 70-300mm F4-5.6 IS ii
I like your list!
I do not have deep knowledge of optics, but if Canon wanted to hire me, I'll take the wishes of photographers to the drawing boards. ;D

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
f/1.8 with image stabilization - my mind is running wild with all of the low light possibilities...

Absolutely! The combination of large aperture and image stabilization is very natural from my point of view and extends the possibilities.
The only drawback for me is: it has only 1:7.2 max. reproduction ratio - I hoped for something like 1:3.5 or 1:4 like the 1.8 / 45 . In this department it is the same as the EF 2.0 100 and this is limiting as a walkaround-lens.

But ... if this lens has awesome IQ in terms of sharpness, microcontrast, good transition between focal plane and out of focus regions, near zero LOCAs ... maybe it will be my first stabilized lens. Shurely to extend low light possibilities!

Upvote 0
Although I would love an 85mm with a great maximum magnification ratio (this one is a bit above average, but in the zone), I think Tamron made the right choice (presuming AF speed is fast) in limiting the focus distance. I actually really love the versatility of the 45 VC (I'm using it more than I anticipated), but I wouldn't be happy with its focus speed in an 85mm.

I'm looking forward to giving this one a spin.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
nhz said:
Luds34 said:
Have we seen any pricing, pre-order links yet?

Very curious to see what price this comes in at.
One site mentioned the Japanese price equivalent to more than $ 1000. Haven't seen official EU/US prices yet.

Ouch, that is a tough price to swallow when the Canon 85 is a third of the price. I was hoping for the 500/600 dollar range. Hopefully when official prices are announced it is closer to $500 then $1k.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
Although I would love an 85mm with a great maximum magnification ratio (this one is a bit above average, but in the zone), I think Tamron made the right choice (presuming AF speed is fast) in limiting the focus distance. I actually really love the versatility of the 45 VC (I'm using it more than I anticipated), but I wouldn't be happy with its focus speed in an 85mm.

Hopefully that is the case. The Canon 85 f/1.8 focuses about as fast as they get. I'd hate to gain in IQ only to lose out in focus speed or accuracy.

Upvote 0

The MTFs posted by Tamron suggest record level optics at f/1.8.

http://www.tamron.co.jp/en/lineup/f016/index.html

Upvote 0
An intriguing lens. I really like the combination of wide aperture and image stabilisation. I found the 85L just a bit heavy to hold steady at 1/focal length, and although the wide aperture makes for fast shutter speeds in daylight, after dark/indoors, you can quickly start hitting acceptable ISO limits. Price will make all the difference...

mb66energy said:
mackguyver said:
f/1.8 with image stabilization - my mind is running wild with all of the low light possibilities...

Absolutely! The combination of large aperture and image stabilization is very natural from my point of view and extends the possibilities.
The only drawback for me is: it has only 1:7.2 max. reproduction ratio - I hoped for something like 1:3.5 or 1:4 like the 1.8 / 45 . In this department it is the same as the EF 2.0 100 and this is limiting as a walkaround-lens.

But ... if this lens has awesome IQ in terms of sharpness, microcontrast, good transition between focal plane and out of focus regions, near zero LOCAs ... maybe it will be my first stabilized lens. Shurely to extend low light possibilities!

Although it would impact the AF speed, a 12mm extension tube would make the maximum magnification much more reasonable. With the 85L it made a big difference - was a good ambient light food photography combination, for instance.

Upvote 0
nhz said:
noncho said:
Almost the same weight and size as my 85 1.4... And probably more expensive than it!

Yes, is there an official confirmation of the weight? DPR says 700 gram which seems very heavy for a 1.8/85, especially given that the Batis 1.8/85 weights 475 gram (possibly these are the same designs, in which case I would expect the Tamron version for Canon/Nikon to be slightly lighter because of flangeback distance). Maybe that weight spec is simply wrong?

Yes, from Tamron:

for Canon 24.7 oz
for Nikon 23.3 oz

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
I was able to compare the tamron 35/45mm at photo expo, indirectly to the sigma 20/24 1.4. The sigma lenses build quality FAR exceed the tamrons - at least in weight in feel.

That said, the images from the 45 looked okay in terms of chromatic abbr, color, etc. IMHO Canon needs to replace their old 85- it has pretty severe abbr + fringing wide open. I used to love it, and considered it my first 'real' lens before the 24-105. I was forced to sell it, and it was simply too tight on crop.

Maybe this will fit the bill...maybe.

Upvote 0
Medium telephoto lenses with IS/VC tend to be sharper than ones without, all else being equal.

Rolling shutter artefacts, the tearing and wonkyness during panning video..actually happens during stills too..it doesn't require moving subjects, .. your hands move the scene...because your hands shake, it reduces image quality and sharpness, VS / IS built into the lens compensates for this.

This is a different problem from the traditional problem of moving the whole sensor about generating a blurry image at low shutter speed, which VC / IS also fixes. This is about the curtain on the sensor causing rolling shutter when either a subject or the camera moves, it's a second problem VC / IS fixes.

Until DSLR start getting fancy global shutter sensors, this will become an increasingly relevant problem the more MP cameras have. Global shutters STILL generate blurry images at low shutter speed without IS, BUT...they no longer suffer from rolling shutter, which is why they generate sharper images. All expensive video cameras have global shutters.

I expect Leica to be one of the first to start incorporating Global Shutters, because they get their sensors from CMOSIS, they are world leading on global shutters.

Upvote 0
3kramd5 said:
lucarubino said:
"the world’s first fast-aperture lens with VC (Vibration Compensation)" ???
Never heard about Zeiss Batis 85mm 1.8 Stabilized lens?

It doesn't have "VC (Vibration Compensation)," it has "optical image stabilization."

:p

Thanks but once again I'm not interested in third party whatsoever.

Upvote 0
camerabug said:
3kramd5 said:
lucarubino said:

It doesn't have "VC (Vibration Compensation)," it has "optical image stabilization."

Can I assume it is because of the rather questionable record on AF?

This is really starting to become a problem for Sigma and Tamron, having pinsharp AF becomes more and more important the higher MP your camera has, people like to zoom in on images and any AF problems are readily apparent.

Upvote 0
ashmadux said:
I was able to compare the tamron 35/45mm at photo expo, indirectly to the sigma 20/24 1.4. The sigma lenses build quality FAR exceed the tamrons - at least in weight in feel.

That said, the images from the 45 looked okay in terms of chromatic abbr, color, etc. IMHO Canon needs to replace their old 85- it has pretty severe abbr + fringing wide open. I used to love it, and considered it my first 'real' lens before the 24-105. I was forced to sell it, and it was simply too tight on crop.

Maybe this will fit the bill...maybe.

Interesting. If you are just basing that on the Sigma's being heavier, perhaps. But the Tamrons have an all metal construction along with weather sealing, and, in my experience, their build quality (at least of the new SP line) actually exceeds that of the Sigmas. I think I still slightly prefer the look of the ART series design.

Upvote 0
Nininini said:
camerabug said:
3kramd5 said:
lucarubino said:

Can I assume it is because of the rather questionable record on AF?

This is really starting to become a problem for Sigma and Tamron, having pinsharp AF becomes more and more important the higher MP your camera has, people like to zoom in on images and any AF problems are readily apparent.

I see a plethora of people posting about AF and third party. I'm unsure whether it's user error or the lens itself but I do know it's a hard road working with reverse engineering when Canon is for the most part short in providing algorithms.

I really would have liked a 85 1.4 I have heard many horror stories and it's in low light conditions lenses such as this really become a beacon. I'm sorry but I've never had an issue with a Canon lens whatsoever from 500 F4 to a 50 1.8. I just don't like gambling period, although, I do understand that there are lemons that need adjustment.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
AlmostDecent said:

The MTFs posted by Tamron suggest record level optics at f/1.8.

http://www.tamron.co.jp/en/lineup/f016/index.html
Tamron's recent MTF claims have been quite reliable so this is quite promising. Looks similar to the Zeiss Sonnar T 135/2 and way better than the Canon 85/1.8.

mtf-chart_en.svg

Here is Lensrentals' MTF comparison between the Zeiss 135/2 and the Canon 85/1.8:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/MTF.aspx?Lens=924&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=106&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0&CT=AVG

Upvote 0
StudentOfLight said:
Tamron's recent MTF claims have been quite reliable so this is quite promising. Looks similar to the Zeiss Sonnar T 135/2 and way better than the Canon 85/1.8.

mtf-chart_en.svg

Here is Lensrentals' MTF comparison between the Zeiss 135/2 and the Canon 85/1.8:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/MTF.aspx?Lens=924&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=106&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0&CT=AVG

MTF can not be compared across brands, they are only relevant within the same brand.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
Nininini said:
StudentOfLight said:

mtf-chart_en.svg

MTF can not be compared across brands, they are only relevant within the same brand.
For you viewing pleasure:

Attachments

• T-internal.gif
    T-internal.gif
    80.4 KB · Views: 234
Upvote 0

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
I will wait for Dustin Abbott to test this one and tell us how the autofocus works. A lens like this with inaccurate autofocus is about as useful as a brick.

I hope it works well, the press release says that "camera movement is the leading cause of unpleasant photographs."

If this lens can keep me from taking unpleasant photographs it will be a bargain at almost any price!

Upvote 0