The Canon EOS R will begin shipping to customers on October 9, 2018, if not sooner

By next spring there will be plenty of refurbs and lightly used ones for sale for around $1500. Buying one now is like renting it for $100 a month for the next 6 months.

You know, renting for $100 per month isn't a bad deal, as far as rentals go. I take your point on the depreciation, though.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Eurgh, was literally just about to order it until I just saw the DP review, the 4k footage looks terrible. God dam it canon

Their stills are not always impressive either. Washed out with dull colors and sharpness. I would seriously think twice before basing such an investment on a video found online.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Their stills are not always impressive either. Washed out with dull colors and sharpness. I would seriously think twice before basing such an investment on a v all ideo found online.
I agree but in comparison to the gh5 which they also compare it to its shocking. Ill wait for more reviews but so far it looks pretty meh all around.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Just to be clear on something, the eye AF was not on the spec lists and then canon said they will have it on the releases through firmware update?

Eye-AF in single-shot mode is on the spec list, Eye-AF in continuous shooting is said to be implemented in the firmware update which is rumoured to be released around February 2019.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 5, 2018
Just recieved mine (Paris). New box design, only youtube channels will care. That cable jerkstopper feels too cheap, plastic, but convinient. The strap is thinner, and will never be in use.
I did about 15 shots with the 85mm 1.4 IS , not a single eye shot missed, even when the square is a bit off, the focus is right on the eye.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Just recieved mine (Paris). New box design, only youtube channels will care. That cable jerkstopper feels too cheap, plastic, but convinient. The strap is thinner, and will never be in use.
I did about 15 shots with the 85mm 1.4 IS , not a single eye shot missed, even when the square is a bit off, the focus is right on the eye.
Excellent, that sounds great! I also have the 85 IS , can't wait.

Upvote 0
Sep 5, 2018
For Godox users, we'll have to wait for an update of the firmwares.
I tryed with V860II on camera, with X-pro and deported V860II and Ad200. Untill 1/200sec everything seems to work fine.
The troubles starts with HSS, I can't get consistent sceene illumination, and after 1/2000sec i get lots of bandings and it gets worse with faster shutter speed
edit: tests on a white wall

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
For Godox users, we'll have to wait for an update of the firmwares.
I tryed with V860II on camera, with X-pro and deported V860II and Ad200. Untill 1/200sec everything seems to work fine.
The troubles starts with HSS, I can't get consistent sceene illumination, and after 1/2000sec i get lots of bandings and it gets worse with faster shutter speed
edit: tests on a white wall
Thanks for sharing. I’ll be testing with Broncolor and HS this week, will report back...

Upvote 0