The Canon EOS R will begin shipping to customers on October 9, 2018, if not sooner

SereneSpeed

CR Pro
Feb 1, 2016
For Godox users, we'll have to wait for an update of the firmwares.
I tryed with V860II on camera, with X-pro and deported V860II and Ad200. Untill 1/200sec everything seems to work fine.
The troubles starts with HSS, I can't get consistent sceene illumination, and after 1/2000sec i get lots of bandings and it gets worse with faster shutter speed
edit: tests on a white wall
Are you using silent shutter?

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Just ordered one with the polarizer! I have to get a back-up camera for my 5Div and decided this made more sense than another iv—even a refurbished one of those is $2700. No lens yet. I'm gonna wait to see what the future brings—maybe a 24-70 f2.8 or f4?
5DIV for $2080 @ 6ave on ebay. There's a definite advantage to having identical control/settings for a backup camera...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323086614873

Upvote 0
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I'd also be curious is manual power setting vs. ETTL makes a difference above 1/2000th

I thought that the banding would be caused by silent shutter and the sensor line readout. I wonder what could be causing this... ?

Thanks for your reports so far!

What causes it is the shutter curtain when it travels the sensor. There is much timing and syncing to get this to work in HSS, so while it’s a bit weird it just doesn’t work like any other Canon with Godox, it can be like this and will be solved by firmware.

Upvote 0

briangus

CR Pro
Apr 6, 2017
Bangkok
Hey i'm from singapore too haha. May I know who told you 10th? I preordered the camera as well but was told "no idea" when I asked when hahaha

I was in camera shop on Saturday and they told me definitely Tuesday
Spoke to someone else today and he said maybe Tuesday but soon
Canon SG quoting 15th!

Upvote 0

SereneSpeed

CR Pro
Feb 1, 2016
What causes it is the shutter curtain when it travels the sensor. There is much timing and syncing to get this to work in HSS, so while it’s a bit weird it just doesn’t work like any other Canon with Godox, it can be like this and will be solved by firmware.

This could be semantics, but to me, banding is not related to the shutter curtain timing. Seeing the shutter in the image is due to shutter curtain timing. And if that’s what N-VB is reporting, that’s great, because yes, that’s easy to fix.

To me, banding means repeating rows of problems, which, as far as I can imagine, has nothing to do with HSS shutter curtain travel.

N-VB, could you clarify? And possibly attach an example?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
I'm waiting for the pro version of this to be released in the coming months. I'll pass on this one and wait for what hopefully will be the best camera Canon has released. I'm expecting full 4k no crop, dual card slots, faster fps and 60fps and 120fps
The "Pro" FF Mirrorless is unlikely to be all that much better in terms of image quality and performance because Canon doesn't seem to have any new sensor or processor technology. The last couple of FF cameras that they released use old sensors that have been "re-designed". 6DII uses 6D sensor, EOS R uses 5DIV sensor. Pro body will probably use a version of 6DII sensor if their goal is high FPS and no crop 4K. Or, it'll use a high-res sensor from existing (but "re-designed") 5DR for high MP. If they had any new sensor technology like BSI sensors, they surely would have debuted this tech on the all new revolutionary EOS R.

What will probably change for the better though is the controls (thumbstick for focus points) and dual card slots. 1080P 120FPS will probably be included no matter which way they go because that's just a function of processor speed. If a single Digic 8 can't handle it, they can just use two of them.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The "Pro" FF Mirrorless is unlikely to be all that much better in terms of image quality and performance because Canon doesn't seem to have any new sensor or processor technology. The last couple of FF cameras that they released use old sensors that have been "re-designed". 6DII uses 6D sensor, EOS R uses 5DIV sensor. Pro body will probably use a version of 6DII sensor if their goal is high FPS and no crop 4K. Or, it'll use a high-res sensor from existing (but "re-designed") 5DR for high MP. [..]

Personally, an R with the 5Ds sensor, but without the AA filter, is exactly what I'm looking for. If they announce that as the R-Pro-Ultra-2000, I would be happy. If they manage to come up with something better, I would be happier.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
The "Pro" FF Mirrorless is unlikely to be all that much better in terms of image quality and performance because Canon doesn't seem to have any new sensor or processor technology. The last couple of FF cameras that they released use old sensors that have been "re-designed". 6DII uses 6D sensor, EOS R uses 5DIV sensor. Pro body will probably use a version of 6DII sensor if their goal is high FPS and no crop 4K. Or, it'll use a high-res sensor from existing (but "re-designed") 5DR for high MP. If they had any new sensor technology like BSI sensors, they surely would have debuted this tech on the all new revolutionary EOS R.

What will probably change for the better though is the controls (thumbstick for focus points) and dual card slots. 1080P 120FPS will probably be included no matter which way they go because that's just a function of processor speed. If a single Digic 8 can't handle it, they can just use two of them.

I'm not sure I'll ever need better image quality than what's on modern sensors, not that I wouldn't take improvements, of course; the flip side of this is that I'm not sure I'll ever buy another camera solely because of more megapixels or better DR, though I'll certainly take it in conjunction with other useful technology.

On the other hand, I will likely wait for, and likely pay a lot more for, the More Pro R just to get a joystick =X

I would also not mind FPS being in the 6-8 range. But I'll wait to actually play with an R to see if I buy it today or wait a few months to buy the next one. The reason would not be to have a better sensor, though.

Upvote 0
Sep 5, 2018
Sorry I had a really long day, here is what I got for the 5 mins test: X-pro, AD200. One folder with full TTL with no compensation, the other one is with manual different exposions. Jpeg out of camera https://drive.google.com/open?id=1J5_ooKrI3PW688hKzNKsCkYIWAvaeLu5
edit: for the question above, flash cannot be used with silent shutter

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mine shipped from B&H! Should have it tomorrow! I placed my order the minute pre-order was available. I also ordered the RF 50 1.2 but that will ship on the 26th. Can't wait to compare the Bokeh of the 85 1.4 IS on the EOS R to the bokeh on the 5D Mark IV. Hopefully the clipping is less pronounced without the mirror box. That lens is soooo good.

Upvote 0
Mine shipped from B&H! Should have it tomorrow! I placed my order the minute pre-order was available. I also ordered the RF 50 1.2 but that will ship on the 26th. Can't wait to compare the Bokeh of the 85 1.4 IS on the EOS R to the bokeh on the 5D Mark IV. Hopefully the clipping is less pronounced without the mirror box. That lens is soooo good.
Good for you. Did you pay tax for it? I ordered mines on abt.com and there’s a delay, it ships mid October. For the body and control ring adapter

Upvote 0
My card was charged today and I have a delivery date via FedEx of Thursday. Anyone have any guesses as to when the 28-70 will ship? I ordered at the same time as the body. B&H moved their expected date from December to October 9th as well but mine hasn't charged/shipped. Appreciate any info anyone has!

The RF 28-70mm isn’t shipping until December 4th. I know the B&H website says October 9th, but I called them and the representative told me that it’s actually going to ship December 4th. It’s a long wait for that lens. Who knows, maybe Canon will be ready to ship those lenses sooner. Hopefully that’s the case! But as of right now, we have to wait until December.

Upvote 0

eyeheartny

EOS R | 50 1.2 RF
Sep 3, 2018
The RF 28-70mm isn’t shipping until December 4th. I know the B&H website says October 9th, but I called them and the representative told me that it’s actually going to ship December 4th. It’s a long wait for that lens. Who knows, maybe Canon will be ready to ship those lenses sooner. Hopefully that’s the case! But as of right now, we have to wait until December.

Ugh that's a huge bummer. I have the 50 1.2 coming as well by the end of the month but I was getting excited about the 28-70 for a trip I'm taking to New Orleans. I sold off my other gear to fund this new kit so I'm going to be 100% lense-less until my 50 arrives. What a bummer about the 28-70.

Upvote 0