The Canon EOS R1 will come well before the EOS R5 Mark II [CR3]

Jul 21, 2010
Let me guess..... it's Canon? :ROFLMAO:
Of course not. The point, as usual, is that 'best', 'most advanced', etc., are subjective terms.

For example, one person may believe that having a global shutter means a camera is more advanced than one with a rolling shutter. Someone else may think having more stops of low ISO DR means a camera is more advanced. (Ironically, apparently the Sony fanboys previously thought the latter, and now they think the former...showing that logic does not apply to what some people choose to call 'advanced' at some point in time.)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Correct me if I’m wrong , but when a company says they are developing something , it means that is being developed , that it will take time to create it before it hits the market. It’s a product not yet produced.
But all this camera and lens companies , they now want to say: hey we are developing something . And in a week the product is released. I find that very very silly.
Just say : hey I have this product and will be available on this date once we finish few things. Am I wrong ?

There are many stages of development. When a camera company announces a product is under development, yes, usually it's at the latter stages, but that still not production stage. Planned feature and specs are still in testing at this point and could be nixed while others could be added based on response of those lucky to have access to test units. Also usually a launch date is not announced at a development announced. Usually it's something ambiguous like "coming soon," or maybe "coming this [quarter, season of year, etc.]. It's never as fast or specific as "next week" as you say, even if you are being hyperbolic. And in the case of the R1 it's quite possible it doesn't ship until after the Olympics, but pro photographers will have access to loaners at the Games. I think this was the case with the R3.

Personally I don't find the process silly. It's super PR, no doubt. But I like knowing officially what is coming down the line with time to prepare and also have more time to consider if it's going to be a produce for me rather than having to reflexively jump in the preorder line and then consider if it's for me.

Upvote 0
The R5 was released in July 2020 Q3, the summer. Not Q4, winter. Consumers in Canon's major market simply do not clamor to purchase high end cameras in the winter.

Not sure I understand. The R5 was extremely hard to get for about a year after announcement. I bought mine in the winter because that's when I was able to find one (got lucky) in stock -- BH, etc were still pre-ordering then too. If it's a good product, people clamor regardless to time of year. This is probably double for camera equipment because supply for new gear is often very constrained for months or longer and everyone wants to be first owner on the block. This was true even pre-Covid.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I guess I'm old school but an R1 with less resolution than my R5 is a non-starter for me. FPS is at the bottom of the third page of my "wants." As a film shooter going from 35mm to 6x6 or 6x7 is a massive difference in image quality. I skipped the R3 because it had fewer megapixels than my old 80D and so it's starting to sound like the R5 II is closer to my hand than an R1. All of these fancy gimmicks sound nice but image quality and resolution are where it's at IMHO.
Going from 35mm to 6x7 is about 430% more ‘resolution’. In digital, going from 20mp to 45 is about 50%. There’s no comparison.
Personally I’d be astonished if Canon made the R1 much more than 30mp.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Of course not. The point, as usual, is that 'best', 'most advanced', etc., are subjective terms.

For example, one person may believe that having a global shutter means a camera is more advanced than one with a rolling shutter. Someone else may think having more stops of low ISO DR means a camera is more advanced. (Ironically, apparently the Sony fanboys previously thought the latter, and now they think the former...showing that logic does not apply to what some people choose to call 'advanced' at some point in time.)
Someone could even consider lowest price best (obviously not the people who think R100 was Canon's worst of 2023). Advanced wouldn't normal be the word for this perspective, but I think you get what I'm saying.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

DrD

Jun 11, 2021
Going from 35mm to 6x7 is about 430% more ‘resolution’. In digital, going from 20mp to 45 is about 50%. There’s no comparison.
Personally I’d be astonished if Canon made the R1 much more than 30mp.
I agree. However, there is one caveat - if the R1 is to get 8K video then 33.2 MP sensor would be required, plus the EOS Cinema team would likely be involved, producing something similar to the R5C with dual OS and separate photo/video menus etc. Personally, imho, Canon are likely to follow a more segmented market strategy i.e. they could always have a flagship R1 speed demon for events/sports photographers and so on... then introduce an R1C later using the same form factor (a la 1DC in 2013). Again, this could have repercussions for the R5CII or even an R3C! The Achilles heel of the R5C is battery life, so using a larger body like the R1/R3 would make sense, although using FF sensors at a lower price point then the C500II might suggest to some that cannibalization of the cinema line could be a problem. Notwithstanding these concerns, there is a niche for a hybrid FF MILC with great photo + video features.

We just do not know...yet..fun times ahead in Q1 '24.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I agree. However, there is one caveat - if the R1 is to get 8K video then 33.2 MP sensor would be required, [...]
32MP would only work for 8k if it was 16:9 aspect ratio sensor, it's a 3:2, so you'll need 40-45MP, depending on it using DCI or the other 8k standard resolution.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I think canon has a global shutter ready but they are just waiting to see how the Sony A9iii works in the market. Once the Sony production models are on hands of everyone and reviews start being published they will decide if it’s time for their global shutter or not. Today it looks promising so that’s why this leak of fewer pixels appears. If they go on with the global shutter it will be a 33 mpx camera. If finally the go on with a stacked sensor we can spect a 65 mpx camera with different raw size options or something like that. It’s my guess. That’s why the R5ii will come afterwards depending on the final R1 they go on with.

Upvote 0

DrD

Jun 11, 2021
32MP would only work for 8k if it was 16:9 aspect ratio sensor, it's a 3:2, so you'll need 40-45MP, depending on it using DCI or the other 8k standard reso

Sure, the point is the same, do they use a 40 MP sensor, when clearly they want a flagship for pros who care more about photos and speed, AF, DR etc., which is why I think they will opt for 28 MP or something like that, then later can release an R1C with 45 MP sensor. The MILC market is not just about shorter flange distances between lens and sensor or EVF's, it is more tailored cameras to specific use cases.

Upvote 0
Sounds like you've given up on even remotely paying attention to facts. Canon cares about selling the most cameras, and they've done that consistently for the past 20+ years, and dominated the market with a nearly 50% market share for the past several. They are the #1 selling brand of digital camera, ILC, DSLR and mirrorless worldwide. Try to pay attention to the real world, it will make you sound less foolish.
So you're admitting that Canon's priorities are quantity, not quality. Thanks for that.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
So you're admitting that Canon's priorities are quantity, not quality. Thanks for that.
So you’re assuming the two are mutually exclusive? Thanks for that.

Also, there’s no ‘admitting’ involved, just the ability to read Canon’s financial statements. I understand that’s hard for some people. They’ve stated they want to achieve 50% market share in unit sales. OTOH, they haven’t stated anything about sacrificing quality. That’s an ASSumption you’re choosing to make.

Upvote 0
This all makes sense. Even with a February "announcement", the R5ii wasn't going to be in ordinary customer hands until Q4, anyway. MAYBE this means a Q3 announcement and Q4 customer supply . . . or maybe R5ii customers have a full year to wait. I've been predicting Q4 2024 availability for over a year now, but I'm beginning to wonder.

Upvote 0
So you’re assuming the two are mutually exclusive? Thanks for that.

Also, there’s no ‘admitting’ involved, just the ability to read Canon’s financial statements. I understand that’s hard for some people. They’ve stated they want to achieve 50% market share in unit sales. OTOH, they haven’t stated anything about sacrificing quality. That’s an ASSumption you’re choosing to make.
Wow, aren't you the gentleman. Bless your heart. You can go ahead and suckle on the income statements all you like, that appears to be how you get off. Meanwhile, Sony and Nikon are laughing at both you and the accountants at Canon. That market share you appear to relish so much is eroding.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Putting the latest rumors together we will receive a R1 with...

- no global shutter
- no 8k
- less than 45 MP

Honestly, that just doesn't sound right. If these three specs are true, it won´t be competing with the a1 (certainly not the A1mkii once it hits the shelves) or the a9mkiii.

IF it has GS, than no 8k and less than 45 MP is ok. If it has no GS, there should be a stacked 50 MP sensor imho. Otherwise, just use the R3 or R5 (not stacked of course)

Furthermore, it kind of sounds like the R3...

Something is definitely not right with these rumors...

Makes you wonder if the R3 really was the R1. Canon puts out as little as they can. No matter, for the first time in 27 years our budget in 2024 makes no expenditures to Canon, aside from CPS.

Upvote 0