The Canon EOS R3 pricing to undercut the competition [CR3]

Jan 29, 2011
Did you switch from a 1DX series to the A1? I didn’t think so. Guess what, neither did I. And neither did anyone I know. So how exactly is this “directly attacking the DSLR flagships”?
I know two high end working pro sports photographers that switched from 1DX II’s to A9’s, they couldn’t be happier.

I was shooting at a national level event this weekend and the stills media teams were all Canon 1DX III’s and II’s, but then the boss is a Canon Explorer...

Upvote 0
i hate to say it but if 20fps doesn’t get you what you want than 30fps won’t either.
what i want is to get more frames of an action event - the darting movement of a heron going for its catch, hummingbirds chasing each other in territorial displays, ospreys or kingfishers striking water, takeoffs, landings, feeding, fighting, courting displays, behaviors at the nest or in-flight - a short burst of captures will result in different wing, beak, body positions, and a few will strike out as more aesthetic and/or interesting. With my 7DII I have often experienced that I would liked to to have more frames to fill the gaps between fast events. I have rented out the IDxIII and the R5 multiple times now and the difference of 10fps vs. 20fps gets me closer to filling those gaps - I am simply linearizing that experience for 20fps vs. 30fps.
Just my 0.02

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
i hate to say it but if 20fps doesn’t get you what you want than 30fps won’t either.
But, it will get you what you want more often. Example, getting an image of the exact instant a baseball is on a batters bat. It is all about probability and the faster the fps the more probable it is a frame will be captured at that exact moment. If you make your living by getting "the" shot, then more fps can be very valuable.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
But, it will get you what you want more often. Example, getting an image of the exact instant a baseball is on a batters bat. It is all about probability and the faster the fps the more probable it is a frame will be captured at that exact moment. If you make your living by getting "the" shot, then more fps can be very valuable.
I like to see the ball actually deforming a little as it is hit.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
I know two high end working pro sports photographers that switched from 1DX II’s to A9’s, they couldn’t be happier.

I was shooting at a national level event this weekend and the stills media teams were all Canon 1DX III’s and II’s, but then the boss is a Canon Explorer...
So then the answer to the question is “No”. Like I said, the A1 is a direct competitor to the R5. Granted, a very overpriced one, but a competitor nonetheless.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
Yikes, $5999 is higher than I would expect and means a future R1 will be over $7K, way dearer than the 1DXIII.

The 1DS Mark III launched at $7,999 in 2007 as the pinnacle of Canon's technology at the time. With inflation that's about $10,300 today...

Brace yourselves for the R1 price.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia

$4899

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
The 1DS Mark III launched at $7,999 in 2007 as the pinnacle of Canon's technology at the time. With inflation that's about $10,300 today...

Brace yourselves for the R1 price.
you realize people still have to want to buy it. if the price is too high , good enough wins for the vast majority.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
Um, a reviewer making comparisons between cameras IS NOT companies matching each other feature for feature. That is an independent (sometimes) person making (and sometimes forcing) their own comparison.

BTW: Can you name a patented "feature set"? Show me a patent for a set of features.
I'm not sure if the OP actually meant Patented or patented. An actual Patent or rather just brand X's "patented" set of features. As an example, Canon's 'patented' ergonomics. I could very well be wrong on the OP'ers intent but it could be read either way IMHO.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
So then the answer to the question is “No”. Like I said, the A1 is a direct competitor to the R5. Granted, a very overpriced one, but a competitor nonetheless.
I wasn’t arguing, I was adding data.

P.S. I would add, they got their A9's before the A1's came out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I wonder how the processor shortage affects Canon. That may be limiting their ability to introduce new models, particularly when a new processor is needed. I suspect that there is no R1 simply because they don't have all the pieces in place to meet what they define as a1 series camera. That might include lack of a super fast processor that is power efficient. The power budget for a camera is probably the toughest thing to meet. Every piece of hardware you upgrade uses a little more power and it adds up fast. Adding power adds heat, its a vicious circle.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
you realize people still have to want to buy it. if the price is too high , good enough wins for the vast majority.

Good enough is enough for most people, but some will want the best. The 1Ds III sold well.

Amortised over four or five years, a $10k camera is fairly insignificant cost to many organisations given the revenue it can earn.

I'm just saying that I don't think the R1 price will be constrained by what prosumers think is reasonable.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
At these price points, a few hundred dollars one way or the other on a body is not a make or break point. And Canon and Sony know this very well. It is all about the overall kit cost, how it feels in your hands and performs for your needs. Not many of the core users will dump and switch systems or not jump and switch to save a few hundred.

I started the switch to an A9, stopped and went back to Canon for the R5 mostly.
Regrets? Rarely but sometimes.
Happy? The vast majority of time! The skin tones are way better on the R5 than on the A9. I shot 2300 frames on NHL hockey last night and used on 62% of one battery for the entire game and pregame warmup. I never hit buffer, never! Can't say that for the SD cards in the A9.

So if someone is deep in to a Canon system, a few hundred bucks more or less for the R3 or future R1, if such a camera comes, is not the deal breaker.
But, there is a ceiling where Canon (and Sony etc etc) can price themselves right out of the game and people will just make due with the 2nd tier camera, or even the 3rd tier.

I would have no trouble using my R5 to shoot formula one (had the race not been called off due to covid again).
An R3 or an R1 will not make the difference between being able to shoot a major event or not!

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
what i want is to get more frames of an action event - the darting movement of a heron going for its catch, hummingbirds chasing each other in territorial displays, ospreys or kingfishers striking water, takeoffs, landings, feeding, fighting, courting displays, behaviors at the nest or in-flight - a short burst of captures will result in different wing, beak, body positions, and a few will strike out as more aesthetic and/or interesting. With my 7DII I have often experienced that I would liked to to have more frames to fill the gaps between fast events. I have rented out the IDxIII and the R5 multiple times now and the difference of 10fps vs. 20fps gets me closer to filling those gaps - I am simply linearizing that experience for 20fps vs. 30fps.
Just my 0.02
Of course 30 fps will work better than 20 fps. Obviously. 10 frames more per second. wow. That will make a difference.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Very true. The early adopters will buy the R3/R1 bodies, no matter the price. Those without unlimited deep pockets and better sense, at some price point, will just say no, I'll wait.

Upvote 0
Doesn't it depend on the difference in feature set? If the R1 has global shutter and QPAF and these additions provide significantly better performance than obtainiable from the R3, then I suspect $7000 would be the target--an incremental increase from the previous flagship price--with $7500 possible on the high end.
But what donthose features cost to build? No matter how you look at it, you have to have market differentiation. You can’t price cameras at this level at $550 apart, even $1,000 may be too close, unless it’s a speciality model.

Canon isn’t go8ng to put anything into this that would Impinge the flagship. From the beginning, they will be thinking about the feature and price spacing. That’s even before they begin to design it. I had to think about that with my own company. It’s no different for Canon.

it’s always possible that Canon would go as high as $7,500, but that‘s a whopping price increase. That would have to be one hell of a camera to justify that price.

and remember that Canon said that this camera would undercut the others. Sony Alpha at $6,500. Does $6,000 really undercut that? Meh. How much will the Nikon D9 cost? $6,000-6,500?

Upvote 0
There's probably a lot more people wanting 40 FPS than actually needing it.

What about flash sync at any speed though? That actually would be a big benefit to many.

Being able to use electronic shutter without any compromise on DR or distortion should also not be under estimated.

And I bet Canon have many ideas to improve other aspects with it as well, now that they can design more complex sensors.
Yeah flash sync at any speed would be a big deal for some, but if the R3 can do 1/250 or maybe 1/500 that would probably be enough for most people. But will those same people want only 20MP or so if they are not sports journalists?

Upvote 0