The Canon EOS R3 will be 24mp, confirmed by EXIF data

Jun 29, 2017
Canon sells plenty 1DX mkiii’s at $6499 with 20mp. Why? In sports you don’t gain much from pushing in and a higher quality sensor with less pixels is demanded.

If the R3 doesn’t warp high speed objects during bursts, it’ll be a hit with professionals. The crowd that spends hundreds of dollars accessorizing and babying their equipment that they don’t make a penny off of will wail. I’m excited for this jump into the future.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Good. No remorse I got my R5 then. But 24Mp is not surprising at all. When Canon was advertising the R3 on Instagram positioning it between 1DXIII and R5, I simply asked in the comments about the megapixel count. To my huge surprise they answered "I think you know the answer". So I guessed it would be between 20 and 45Mp, not very precise but...

Looking forward to seeing the high-MP version of the R5.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

snapshot

5d2,5d4,r5
CR Pro
Jul 24, 2020
the thing is that if true, each camera could have a different exif signature -- then the NDA violator could be identified.
It seems a little conspiratorial to me but the thing that makes me think it might be possible is the video resolution. Full width DCI 4K doesn’t divide nicely into 6,000 pixels.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I have never seen that happen before. Anything is possible, but I don't think you hand these cameras out to people under NDAs with an announcement around the corner and gimp them.
The firmware may allow multiple sizes of RAW but be currently limited to the smallest. They could be working out issues with the higher resolutions. Zero evidence of this but still possible.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
In my opinion this camera is not for someone currently shooting with a 1DX 1DXMKII or 1DXMKIII as a professional to transition your kit from EF to RF at a $50K to $80K+ investment.

1. The loss of OVF
2. Two Different Format Cards
3. No significant jump in resolution
4. Transition to RF Glass

These four factors will make us wait until the R1 is released. Also 30fps is no inducement we know all that is required is 15fps RAW for stills for any sport.

This does leave one to wonder if Canon will double the resolution of the 1DXMKIII for the R1. We are seeing people shoot sports with the Fuji GFX100s and the work is amazing, stunning, beautiful, sharp, crisp with exceptional detail and resolution.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
the thing is that if true, each camera could have a different exif signature -- then the NDA violator could be identified.
There's lens serial number. If the lens was provided by Canon or registered with Canon...

However there's another interesting detail - it looks like the R3 may have a GPS.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
In my opinion this camera is not for someone currently shooting with a 1DX 1DXMKII or 1DXMKIII as a professional to transition your kit from EF to RF at a $50K to $80K+ investment.

The EOS-1D X Mark II has two card slots, one each for CF and for CFast 2.0.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
Canon sells plenty 1DX mkiii’s at $6499 with 20mp. Why? In sports you don’t gain much from pushing in and a higher quality sensor with less pixels is demanded.
Why? Largely because there's no option, if you're in the Canon system and need a truly rugged camera then the 1DX line is your option.

Remember how they used to split the 1D and 1Ds lines? That was a great way to leverage R&D and production cost whilst catering to the needs of photographers. Sadly the 'merged' 1DX was a step back in many ways.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

1. The loss of OVF

These four factors will make us wait until the R1 is released. Also 30fps is no inducement we know all that is required is 15fps RAW for stills for any sport.

This does leave one to wonder if Canon will double the resolution of the 1DXMKIII for the R1. We are seeing people shoot sports with the Fuji GFX100s and the work is amazing, stunning, beautiful, sharp, crisp with exceptional detail and resolution.
Well I am a 1DX II shooter and have been a 1 series shooter for 20 odd years, I’ll be getting an R3.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
1. The loss of OVF

1 - is not a loss! After a few months with the R5 I never want to go back to an optical viewfinder. The R3 will almost certainly be even better.
2 - Yep.
3 - 20%.
4 - Not necessarily a bad thing, and the EF-RF adapters for legacy glass are transparent in use.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0