The Canon EOS R3 will be 24mp, confirmed by EXIF data

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
Well the best thing is I just leapt over 3/4 of the people that said they were going to preorder.....
Add me to that list. I was grumbling about 30MP, but convinced myself that the camera would be otherwise amazing, so I planned to preorder. Not anymore.

While I'm still convinced that the R3 will be otherwise amazing, I need more cropping ability. Hopefully the Nikon Z9 won't disappoint.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Canon sells plenty 1DX mkiii’s at $6499 with 20mp. Why? In sports you don’t gain much from pushing in and a higher quality sensor with less pixels is demanded.

If the R3 doesn’t warp high speed objects during bursts, it’ll be a hit with professionals. The crowd that spends hundreds of dollars accessorizing and babying their equipment that they don’t make a penny off of will wail. I’m excited for this jump into the future.
This is a new generation. Using that logic you could say "they sell plenty of 5d Mark4s at 30mp). Previous generation cameras should not be the benchmark. The industry competition should be the benchmark. 24mp for a $6000 camera is pathetic

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Maybe it is 24MP (in which case, I'll be very disappointed) and maybe it's not. The EXIF does NOT differentiate RAW from JPEG for the little bit of data shown. I shoot RAW+JPEG on my R5. I shoot medium JPEGs. The EXIF data shows dimensions 5808x3872 for the JPEGs. The exifviewers.com only works on JPEGs (at least for me). For some other EXIF data viewing, it isn't until way down do you see the file type. The EXIF viewer info in Fastone shows the file type at the top of info panel.

Upvote 0
Any EXIF data editable ;)
It's interesting that the EXIF data shows a picture of what seems to be an R3. If the camera is not officially released, how does the EXIF program know what an R3 looks like?

Plus I haven't seen any images with EXIF data unless I'm missing something?

Upvote 0

frjmacias

EOS R5 and EOS M50
May 14, 2020
Monterey, California
At this point, I understand this camera is not for me, but it is a bummer. I was hoping for 30 megapixels because I have gotten used to the R5 resolution and the ability to crop in and still produce an amazing image. I am not a sports photographer, however, so I understand this camera is not intended for me. I will anxiously wait to see what the R1 has to offer and shoot with my R5 longer. The good news is now I get to spend my preorder money on new RF glass!

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Add me to that list. I was grumbling about 30MP, but convinced myself that the camera would be otherwise amazing, so I planned to preorder. Not anymore.

While I'm still convinced that the R3 will be otherwise amazing, I need more cropping ability. Hopefully the Nikon Z9 won't disappoint.
Woohoo!

Personally I don’t see why anybody who is paying >$6,000 currently for a 1 series at 20mp will be disappointed at <$6,000 for a comparable R camera with 24mp.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Good. No remorse I got my R5 then. But 24Mp is not surprising at all. When Canon was advertising the R3 on Instagram positioning it between 1DXIII and R5, I simply asked in the comments about the megapixel count. To my huge surprise they answered "I think you know the answer". So I guessed it would be between 20 and 45Mp, not very precise but...

Looking forward to seeing the high-MP version of the R5.
I agree. The Sony A1 flagship has 60mp and why is Canon releasing a 24mp camera at a reported $6K. If sports photographers need low resolution, then a dumbed-down camera would work. It just doesn't seem realistic to sell an almost flagship camera with 10-year-old resolution?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I'm not buying it.

I'm not buying those numbers.
Hey, 6,000 by 4,000 makes 24,000,000 pixels, 24.000000 MP.
Anybody ever seen a camera with resolutions this "round"?

In a decimal world, 6000 and 4000 might make sense, but we're living in a digital world where those numbers are not good. In a digital world 6144 by 4096 would make sense, but not those decimally-round numbers.

No, I'm not buying it. This has got to be firmware-modified numbers.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

RMac

R6ii 5DSR 5Diii 7D M5 C300
How do all the people saying "24MP is a massive disappointment" feel about the 1DXiii that shoots 20MP? This honestly feels like a resolution upgrade for the types of photogs presently using the 1DXiii, and that's clearly the sort of photographer Canon is targeting with this body.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Canon shouldn’t be messing by not disclosing the MP. I think it leads to disappointment in the end. They announced almost everything so must be concerned at the MP count. I could under stand if it were 50MP because it would be like a cherry on top. 24MP feels like a damp squid. The minimum possible was always going to be 20MP so it’s barely above that. It still feels like a 30MP camera to me. If it’s 24MP it’s putting a big “but” in every review. Sony would be delighted.

Upvote 0
Woohoo!

Personally I don’t see why anybody who is paying >$6,000 currently for a 1 series at 20mp will be disappointed at <$6,000 for a comparable R camera with 24mp.
For a person willing to pay $6500 for a 1dxiii right now, you are right. They won't mind paying $6000 for a 24mp camera. For the rest of the market, and people trying to decide between the sony a1 and the canon r3, no, they will not be happy paying $6k for a 24mp camera

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
For a person willing to pay $6500 for a 1dxiii right now, you are right. They won't mind paying $6000 for a 24mp camera. For the rest of the market, and people trying to decide between the sony a1 and the canon r3, no, they will not be happy paying $6k for a 24mp camera
I paid close to $7,000 for one of my 1DS III's over ten years ago.

I'm not saying you are wrong, more that it is interesting what many people think they need and what commercial image creators actually have to have.

Upvote 0

RMac

R6ii 5DSR 5Diii 7D M5 C300
I'm not buying it.

I'm not buying those numbers.
Hey, 6,000 by 4,000 makes 24,000,000 pixels, 24.000000 MP.
Anybody ever seen a camera with resolutions this "round"?

In a decimal world, 6000 and 4000 might make sense, but we're living in a digital world where those numbers are not good. In a digital world 6144 by 4096 would make sense, but not those decimally-round numbers.

No, I'm not buying it. This has got to be firmware-modified numbers.
Canon Cameras with 4000x6000 resolution sensors

77D
80D
SL2
SL3
T6i
T6s
T7
T7i
T8i
M3
M5
M6
M100
M200
M50
M50ii

Granted these are all crop sensor cameras, but clearly there's no reason that a sensor can't be a nice round number for the resolution.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
How in the world can adult people not simply wait for the official announcement by Canon? Those shown EXIF data are kind of 'Kaffeesatz lesen'. and of not much or no use at all.
because of excitement and genuine interest. it's kind of like Christmas Eve for grown ups, what will Santa leave for us?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I've come around to the view that this resolution makes sense, even as it's not for me. The R3 was designed to be a wedding camera and sports camera (but the wedding side of things is 2x the sports market). The smaller, lighter form factor and the entire constellation of other specs seems to make this suddenly the first semi-flagship camera appealing to the now-majority female wedding photography segment that is 2x the size of the sports 'togs population.

Canon can't directly market it this way, as it will be more appealing to both genders by focusing on manly-man content. That's just how tech marketing works in the human heads.

Canon has generally stopped using the "sports and wildlife" phrase with it, but they're unlikely to say out loud the "sports and weddings" bit, as there's still going to be much bias against a product that appears to be marketed to a segment involving less testosterone.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Canon Cameras with 4000x6000 resolution sensors

77D
80D
SL2
SL3
T6i
T6s
T7
T7i
T8i
M3
M5
M6
M100
M200
M50
M50ii

Granted these are all crop sensor cameras, but clearly there's no reason that a sensor can't be a nice round number for the resolution.
And zero of them have well rated 4k video, which is an absolute must for any camera now.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0