The Canon EOS R3 will be 24mp, confirmed by EXIF data

Probably the biggest hang-up in the English measuring system is the dichotomy between the statute mile and the nautical mile which was only finalized after someone actually figured out how far it really was around the world. So now we have MPH and knots to deal with. The nautical mile is a practical measure in that it takes 21,600 of them to go around the world making 1 minute of latitude equal to 1 nautical mile. Are we having fun yet?
The international system of units is still fun when you get to understand how the base unit is defined. The metre was originally defined to be one ten millionth of the distance between the North Pole and the Equator through Paris was a fun one.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
Considering the comments on resolution, I would bet that if Canon thinks there's a market for higher resolution higher speed shooting, they'll produce something to fill that need. Canon doesn't seem to be one to leave money on the table.
That laughter you hear is coming from Sony, Fuji, and all the Canon faithful who are waiting for an APS-C R or some sign of life in the M.

Upvote 0
Some great shots on your flickr pages! Lighter weight and higher resolution of the R5 enabling shorter, lighter lenses swing it the other way for me.
Thanks. And yes, high res is a must, so if the rumor hold out and its 30 and under... its effectively DOA for me.

When the R5 came out, I thought it was as close to a perfect camera as I would ever get to have, then the R3 piqued an interest to challenge that thought. I honestly saw no way it would disappoint... then the 20MP and 30MP rumors started and now the 24MP rumors so I'm starting to think, this one will not be for me. The worst part, this line of thinking isn't going to change. They are locked in and its not likely they are ever going to budge. So that means the R3 and any subsequent versions will likely hold tight to that theme, effectively pushing me away. The bright side: There are worse problems than not throwing away $6000+.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Bummer, there goes the option of upgrading my EF bodies to RF this year. Hoping for the R1 - but not holding my breath after this.

Lat's hope Canon gives the R1
- internal GPS ,
- the eye controlled AF (if it's any good),
- 45 MP or more.
They can bin all the video stuff for all I care - I'll never use it anyway. I also don't need 30fps pictures. I take photographs, no video.

Now even if I look at a R5 + a nice set of RF lenses to replace my EF ones - The CC is yelling OUCH!
I have zero appetite for a $8000+ full bodied R5. The funny thing... I initially thought Canon broke everyone else's line up with all these new cameras, little did I know, they were breaking their own. An A9 competitor, priced around $2000 up the hill with two other flagships is not ideal IMO.

However, I do think the R1 will be special, but I will withhold any fanboy'ish enthusiasm until it is dropped. Lesson learned.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
That laughter you hear is coming from Sony, Fuji, and all the Canon faithful who are waiting for an APS-C R or some sign of life in the M.
Sorry, but who is laughing?

Answer? Me.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
I find all the absolutism here amazing. These threads are like the election and everyone wants to call it as early as possible based on rumors. This thread might be more accurately titled:

"Olympic JPEG EXIF suggests Canon EOS R3 resolution will be 24mp"​

It's not really confirmed until Canon makes the announcement to which I'm looking forward. I have no pressing needs to buy now so I can wait and ignore all of the speculation, although it does make an interesting read.

For myself, megapixels are an interesting data point, just like fastest shutter speed. But individual specs really don't matter to me. I want to understand the entire package to make a decision but I like what I see so far. I am really interested to see what else Canon has up their sleeves based on the hints from people like Jeff Cable about unannounced features. I assume this is more than just megapixels.

I am an enthusiast with a lot of EF L glass that I'm quite happy with. My decision isn't Canon vs Nikon vs Sony. It's which Canon body(s) do I purchase next. The R3 may be sufficient to become a single body solution or I may choose two bodies, depending on what other bodies come along in the future.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
Sorry, but who is laughing?

Answer? Me.
All that proves is that Canon is profitable. It doesn't mean they're not leaving money on the table, which was the original statement.

Sony and Fuji are obviously making money on APS-C, and not just tiny point-and-shoots either, but high-end ILCs with professional features and a strong selection of lenses and accessories. A big conglomerate like Sony wouldn't waste their resources on a product line that wasn't profitable.

It's especially disappointing when you consider how, 20 years ago, Canon practically bootstrapped the entire consumer and enthusiast APS-C DSLR marketplace single-handedly with the D30, D60, and the original Digital Rebel. They were revolutionary at a time when a DSLR cost >$10K. Canon is letting those other guys eat their lunch.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Canon is letting those other guys eat their lunch.
Canon is selling about as many ILCs as Sony and Nikon combined, and Fuji is barely a blip in the global market (but they sell tons of Instax cameras). You don’t seem to grasp who’s lunch is being eaten by whom.

It’s ok if you don’t like the R3, Canon doesn’t care, and it’s not likely you were going to buy one anyway. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Even Google Play has foto EXIF metadata editors. People have been changing and editing EXIF metadata for years. Fuji camera owners have a lot of practice. Renaming, changing and deleting metadata to fool C1, LR and other software into accepting images. Often as simple as changing the camera name. Comon practice among knowledgeable photographers. EXIF data doesn't confirm nada. I can edit my R5 file to display the name R3 or any camera name I want.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
As I asked in the other thread, could these cameras not be restricted in firmware to output max 24 MP JPG files?
Yes. In the development and "in the wild" testing phase anything about the camera can be restricted to make it appear something is this instead of that or sometimes somethings are not even there. Canon has gone as far as a man made one off circuit board inside with fake model codes in case the test body fell into the wrong hands. Early prototypes will often have parts from other cameras inside also.

That being said the R3 should not be in the development and "in the wild" testing phase right now, These bodies should be fairly close to the real production units, esp if everyone knows the R3 is going to be at the games already. There is a chance Canon is protecting the reality of it's new sensor by masking it through metadata, but even then i am sure some of the images taken at the games will be used for future marketing so the chances of Canon really hiding true sensor details now are close to zero.

Most likely the R3 does have a 24mp sensor since it seems to be all about crazy speed and not super high res photography, least that is what i take from what Canon has released and teased so far.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017
The higher the density, the more pixel information for machine learning to recognise subjects and the better the AF. The more pixels you put on your subject the better the AF, not the worse.
AF machine learning works best with as little noise as possible. When you use higher resolution sensors, you increase sensor noise. Your statement is correct up until you are shooting in lower light, or with longer lenses at higher aperture. Sports, photo journalism, and action are three areas that lighting isn't ideal which is why you see 20.1 mp in the 1DX mkii and you'll likely see under 30mp on the R3. It is considerably more work for machine learning or AI AF when there is noise to also sort through when nanoseconds matter.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Boy I sure hope Canon makes an announcement soon, these threads have exhausted every possible angle about ten times over. Not that that will keep me from posting. But really, no one is saying anything new. I'm kind of wishing we could get a good lens cap photo file just to have a new topic to argue over.

Upvote 0
I was hoping this would have higher resolution, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that 24mp seems to be the right call for the folks who will be using this camera for what it’s made to do. This isn’t some future-proofed machine. This is a now camera. For people who are working today.

8k is coming but it’s not here yet for most of us who are consuming our media on 4K or lower resolution screens. 24mp meets the moment. it gives just a bit more leeway than a 1d while not overburdening high-output shooters.

Lenses most likely to actually work at 30fps? I’d be interested to see which lenses are actually able to keep up when bolted on the front of this new mini-monster.

I’d still be happy to see it clock in at 30.1mp as previously rumored.

Upvote 0
When you're a professional photo journalist, action, or sports photographer; switching to a rival camera system is the option. The gear is paid for on your first or second assignment. The semi-pro and enthusiast crowd own pro bodies as a luxury item.

There is nothing "previous" about a current pro-body DSLR. 24mp on a camera coming out with supply chain issues, a slowdown in events, that is stacked BSI, shoots with less shutter distortion, and sends the correct resolution and files sizes wirelessly to clients for events is what is demanded by the industry. Canon spends a lot of time working with photographers in the field to come up with solutions that are both reliable and won't financially impact their strategic growth. I would rather know that my rugged pro body will be supported for years to come as it makes me money, then worry about whether or not the spec-sheet stacks up against expensive competitors with their own downsides.

The higher density the sensor, the poorer the low light condition, and the less advanced your AI can be for things like Eye Control AF and machine learning for recognizing fast moving subjects. This is a very exciting step in the future of AF systems which has been Canon's focus (pun intended) for decades.
This is false, my R5 performs far better in low light than my a9ii and it has double the resolution. You talk of supply chain issues and such, implying it is some sort of excuse? And yet the a1 was released with all of these "supply chain" issues...

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
AF machine learning works best with as little noise as possible. When you use higher resolution sensors, you increase sensor noise.
How many times does this have to be disproven on these very forums? Pixel density does not negatively impact total image noise within a format. As for the AI, I would be surprised if anyone is feeding full resolution sensor readouts to said AI for AF point selection.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Canon is selling about as many ILCs as Sony and Nikon combined, and Fuji is barely a blip in the global market (but they sell tons of Instax cameras). You don’t seem to grasp who’s lunch is being eaten by whom.

It’s ok if you don’t like the R3, Canon doesn’t care, and it’s not likely you were going to buy one anyway. :rolleyes:
I would have bought it, but now very likely won't. But Canon will not lose as I will get another R5 for now while I wait for R1.

Upvote 0