The Canon EOS R3 will be 24mp, confirmed by EXIF data

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Wake me up when August ends.

Seriously, it's going to be a long month if Canon does not announce the R3 until September and we have to entertain ourselves with more of these endlessly boring discussions that keep going off on tangents. Please @Canon Rumors Guy, sir, may we have some more.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
To double the resolution of the 1DXMKIII you would need approximately 85+ MP.

Fuji is exploring a 100MP sports camera... "For those who want it, and can afford it" I would buy one for sports action portrature.
I wouldn’t, even my commercial clients that print big don’t require 100mp and I don’t have focal length limitations.

As for doubling the resolution, that was not my point, my point was 24mp is 20% more data points than 20mp. And it is.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
There is definitely differential pricing imposed by Canon since whereas B&H will ship most of their stock to the UK, they state on their site that the R5 is not allowed to be shipped.
This is fascinating... I checked for Australia and similarly B&H is not allowed to ship it here
"Manufacturer's restrictions for the shipping address provided prevent us from completing an order on the following item:"

The discussions on comparable pricing has been done a lot but for giggles:
USD3900 + freight to Australia + 10% GST => ~USD4300
AUD6500 local recommended retail price => USD4900
but I see authorised resellers offering discounts to AUD6000 and even AUD5515 at the moment.
AUD5515 => USD4200 and we have 5 year local warranty

Upvote 0
Maybe Canon allowed on purpose the leak about 24Mp. In that way users will be ... psychologically prepared :LOL:

They will have cried, despaired and then more calmly will start thinking about it and liking it! Who knows? :cool:
Maybe this is a misinformation leak, so people will be totally thrilled when they announce that it has a 30MP sensor. :)

If memory serves, the R3 photographer mentioned the existence of unannounced features, so perhaps one of them messes with MP. Unlikely, but possible.

• Haha
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
That is not true. Everything I've sold on Ebay in the last year ran sales tax on my buyers. I am a private seller.

I concur. Everything I have purchased on Ebay for the last yr or so was charged a sales tax by Ebay. No exceptions. So, I now try and buy everything on B&H when possible, using the Pay Boo card, which as everyone now knows, credits your sales tax back at purchase. I mostly purchase used gear on Ebay now, rarely buying anything new using their site. I, also shop Adorama a lot but mostly for specials, as long as the combined price + tax is less than what I can buy it for at B&H or it is an item unavailable elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...So, I now try and buy everything on B&H when possible, using the Pay Boo card, which as everyone now knows, credits your sales tax back at purchase...I, also shop Adorama a lot but mostly for specials, as long as the combined price + tax is less than what I can buy it for at B&H or it is an item unavailable elsewhere.
For a direct comparison: B&H credits the sales tax back on purchases; Adorama offers a 5% rebate on purchases plus a rewards point system that is an additional 1% credit. At times, on specific items, Adorama ups the reward points.

Both use store cards issued by Synchrony Bank. Both offer an option to make payments interest free for a specified time period, usually six months, instead of the rebates. Both charge the same interest rate if you don't pay it off immediately, which is somewhere north of 20% interest, so you don't want to use the cards unless you can pay it off immediately or unless you need the interest-free period to pay it off (but you lose the savings). If you do need the interest free financing, I recommend Best Buy, which generally offers longer terms -- sometimes up to two years on major purchases.

So, if your state sales tax is less than 6%, you save money with Adorama. Over 6% you save money with B&H. But, to keep it in perspective, you might want to do the math. Say your state charges 7.5% sales tax, a 1.5% difference between B&H and Adorama. If the R3 is $6,000 that 1.5% difference between Adorama and B&H would amount to a grand total of $90. Not a huge difference on a $6,000 purchase.

One note of caution. If you are considering a purchase, it's best to apply for the cards in advance. With Adorama I had no problem getting immediate credit approval and using the card, with B&H I had to wait for the card to come in the mail because I could not check out without having the CVC which they would not provide over the phone.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...There is definitely differential pricing imposed by Canon since whereas B&H will ship most of their stock to the UK, they state on their site that the R5 is not allowed to be shipped.

This is fascinating... I checked for Australia and similarly B&H is not allowed to ship it here
"Manufacturer's restrictions for the shipping address provided prevent us from completing an order on the following item:"
I would guess that Canon USA does not allow dealers to sell products outside the regional market in competition with Canon Australia and Canon Europe. I wonder how it worked in the old days when B&H and Adorama used to sell grey market versions alongside U.S. warranty versions.

Upvote 0

tapanit

CR Pro
Jul 17, 2012
”delenda”
Correct, the subject should be in the nominative case. This is a common error, presumably people are confusing the abbreviated "... delenda est" with the longer "ceterum censeo carthaginem esse delendam", where the indirect construction requires accusative. O tempora, o mores!

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Am I the only one surprised that the pros are using auto white balance? I can’t say I know anyone who’s sole income comes from photography, that uses auto white balance. I don’t shoot sports, or know anyone making a living shooting sports, so maybe it’s just a sports thing?
I used to manually set WB and then batch correct in post. Then the AWB improved dramatically, especially AWBW, and people started asking for out of camera jpegs for social media at the events, so I shot RAW and jpeg with AWBW. It is very good and even when I use ColorChecker Passports to create lighting specific camera profiles the WB is normally within a hundred or so K and +/- single digit tint even when the profile colors need help.

AWB has improved so much over the years and the demands for instant delivery make it a very valuable tool.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Am I the only one surprised that the pros are using auto white balance? I can’t say I know anyone who’s sole income comes from photography, that uses auto white balance. I don’t shoot sports, or know anyone making a living shooting sports, so maybe it’s just a sports thing?
Canon's "white priority AWB" mode is the best auto white balance I've ever seen from any company, period. My cameras are always left on white priority AWB.

That said, I shoot raw, so white balance doesn't matter to me at all. But even then, I rarely have to adjust the white balance and would be totally comfortable shooting jpeg in this mode. It's just too good, especially for sports under consistent lighting like inside a gym.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Because of Sony came out with 50mp “Sport” camera so all manufacturers should come out the same or similar MP count “Sport” camera, then all “Sport” (or poor) photographers can just shooting with 70-200mm all day and cropped heavily? If that is the case, why every manufacturer still busy to develop long lens?

Not sure since when Sony has becoming industrial leader for pro market of “Sport” photographer’s camera? Or just because of the few Youtubers singing Sony every time Sony coming out the new camera?

Pretty sure >90% of the people who commented here is not going to buy or own any “REAL Sport” camera. Spec is spec, the important is how the camera actually being handled, not just to fulfill the long wish list from internet keyboard warrior or troller who isn’t make any purchases after all.

Canon isn’t not knowing anything before coming the “right” tools to the “right” hand. For sure there is a market for 100mp “Sport” camera, but seems Canon is developed R3 for certain group of photographers.

if isn’t for you, just move on and get the best tools for yourself. It’s meaningless to argue on how important of the high MP. I’m sure for those who have “some” knowledge about the photography knowing what the benefit of MP of a camera and the pros and cons by having it. Since everybody’s use case different, it is impossible to have a exactly “what you want product”.

If you want Sony, go buy Sony. It’s your money, and no one is really care which camera brand you are using.

Happy shooting!
Since Canon is the top camera brand a lot of people feel like Canon is holding back on purpose, for money reasons, when Sony one ups them. I think that is the reason for a lot of frustration.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Because of Sony came out with 50mp “Sport” camera so all manufacturers should come out the same or similar MP count “Sport” camera, then all “Sport” (or poor) photographers can just shooting with 70-200mm all day and cropped heavily? If that is the case, why every manufacturer still busy to develop long lens?

Not sure since when Sony has becoming industrial leader for pro market of “Sport” photographer’s camera? Or just because of the few Youtubers singing Sony every time Sony coming out the new camera?

Pretty sure >90% of the people who commented here is not going to buy or own any “REAL Sport” camera. Spec is spec, the important is how the camera actually being handled, not just to fulfill the long wish list from internet keyboard warrior or troller who isn’t make any purchases after all.

Canon isn’t not knowing anything before coming the “right” tools to the “right” hand. For sure there is a market for 100mp “Sport” camera, but seems Canon is developed R3 for certain group of photographers.

if isn’t for you, just move on and get the best tools for yourself. It’s meaningless to argue on how important of the high MP. I’m sure for those who have “some” knowledge about the photography knowing what the benefit of MP of a camera and the pros and cons by having it. Since everybody’s use case different, it is impossible to have a exactly “what you want product”.

If you want Sony, go buy Sony. It’s your money, and no one is really care which camera brand you are using.

Happy shooting!
Stop being condescending. Most knowlegeable photographers and certainly Jeff Cable, know how to edit exif files if one has an NDA in place. And he clearly mentions it on his blog that he would NOT disclose any information that Canon has not already released. The JPEGS that admin downloaded and read the metadata from originated from Jeff Cable, a long time Canon ambassador and Team USA sports photographer. Canon loans him and attendies cameras for many of his workshops. So why would he risk disclosing information that Canon has chosen to release at a later date? Simple, he didnt.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Poor taste. Downloading JPEGS files that have been watermarked from a Canon ambasador's blog or from email with an NDA and then go searching through the EXIF metadata to publically disclose information that the manufacturer has clearly intentionally withheld for the sake of sensationalism and notariety is in very poor taste.

• Haha
Upvote 0
”delenda”

Correct, the subject should be in the nominative case. This is a common error, presumably people are confusing the abbreviated "... delenda est" with the longer "ceterum censeo carthaginem esse delendam", where the indirect construction requires accusative. O tempora, o mores!
Boys, you are 19 pages late to the party. I got corrected immediately by AlanF

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Of course Canon will pay vloggers (in money/goods/trips) to state this camera is epic. But the only right thing to do here is: WAIT. For an R1 to be announced with 45 mpix at least. Again: I just don’t get it. Why 24mpix when everyone else is doing 45? Canon is starting to be the weakest kid in class now ... they are always late and running behind. I don’t care whatever (paid) nonsense will be posted here as a reaction, but the best thing to do for me and a lot of other pro’s is: WAIT. Unfortunately.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Bahrd

Red herrings...
Jun 30, 2013
I would agree from a photographic perspective that there will only be a subtle difference between 24mp FF and 20mp FF, in general, and all other factors being equal. I would also say that the 24mp sensor is collecting 20% more data and is therefore able to resolve a 2D subject 20% "better" in a strictly technical sense.

Insisting that the 24mp sensor only resolves 9.6% more because we traditionally measure linearly for convenience is missing the forest for the trees. It's also a predictive failure in other applications where an array of sensors is deployed.
I believe @AlanF is right. The number of pixels here is just a number of data samples. Its relation to resolution depends on dimensionality d of the data we capture.

In general, it's the dth root of the number of samples (and so the square one in our two dimensional case).
Some more affectionate statisticians (but still very serious ones!) call this relation the curse of dimensionality.
O tempora, o mores!
E-tempora, e-mores! ;)

• Haha
Upvote 0