The Canon EOS R3 will be 24mp, confirmed by EXIF data

In the UK it’s illegal, on a retail site, to show prices that don’t include taxes. Retailers are not allowed to simply add them at the checkout.
But only when selling to end-customers, as retail, right? Here in Denmark the law says that you cannot show prices without VAT ("moms") for end-customers, but it is OK to do so when selling to companies (that can deduct the VAT anyway).

Antiques are second hand, and in the UK antiques' dealers have a special scheme of adding VAT to the difference between their buying and selling price. On buying from antiques auctions, you pay VAT on the commission you pay to the auction house, but not the item. If you have a personal item that you sell later at a profit, then you should pay capital gains tax on the profit if you exceed your tax limit. Doesn't affect me as everything I buy plummets in price. What a thread this is: free advice on your tax affairs as well as how to assess resolution. I think there is some mention of an R3.
Here in Denmark, when you sell used items the store addes VAT to the difference between their purchase price and their selling price. I haven't looked into how it works for Antiques, but I strongly suspect that the system is exactly the same.

Upvote 0
A point very well made, Navastronia. A miracle indeed. But now I have to ask myself, an individual who no longer shoots professionally but loves photography and new tech, "Should I spend $5-6k on a miracle R3, an A1, a Z whatever, just so I can take a better photo of my neighbor's cat(s), looking for prey, raiding my back yard bird feeder?" My R6 coupled to my RF 800 F11 and, in fact my 6Dii body or even my 7D + EF 500 F4 are quite capable of capturing that fleeting moment with perfectly acceptable photos. So, again, I will have to ask myself, "what can the R3 add to this experience?" Thirty FPS of the same moment? Eye controlled auto focus of the cat's eye, shining like a diamond in a goats ass? Will this new body provide a noticeably improved photographic experience for me to pull out my credit card? Perhaps! I hope to see the early hands on reports from actual Olympic use, so I might make a more informed pre-order decision. So, Canon, please let them share some of the miracle of the R3, so we can see the magic at work.
I am a big believer in buying what makes you feel creative. Some folks like film, some like Leicas. If it gets you out to shoot and you enjoy it then it is money well spent. I am working on a documentary of a place I own for my YouTube channel. I have 100 subs and who knows maybe in 10 years I may have 1000. If one of them enjoys the documentary and I enjoy making it then I have succeeded. That being said I have some paid work which is another kettle of fish. I need something there that works and I am familiar with.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Of course Canon will pay vloggers (in money/goods/trips) to state this camera is epic. But the only right thing to do here is: WAIT. For an R1 to be announced with 45 mpix at least. Again: I just don’t get it. Why 24mpix when everyone else is doing 45? Canon is starting to be the weakest kid in class now ... they are always late and running behind. I don’t care whatever (paid) nonsense will be posted here as a reaction, but the best thing to do for me and a lot of other pro’s is: WAIT. Unfortunately.
The usual bullcrap. Canon is late. Canon is behind. Boo-hoo. Boo-hoo.

Sony A9 - which appears to be the Sony competitor to the R3 is 24 MP. So, when you say everyone else is doing 45 you just sound ignorant - or intentionally lying.

Yes, you will have to wait until the R1 is released. Don't know what you are shooting with now, but it almost certainly does the job and any new camera that comes out will probably not make your photos any better or give you very different results. So, why are you whining like a little child?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Surely secondhand goods are exempt from VAT?

PS some types of retailer list goods without VAT, it's pretty common for wine merchants as VAT may not be applied if you're buying for storage rather than delivery.
Well, they (second hand goods) aren't exempt from sales tax in the USA, unfortunately.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Admin. Those files are watermarked and not the property of CR. Therefore you have pemission to publish and disclose of the metadata? Questionable ethics, editable or not.
You are talking as if this is some person's secret that was released to shame a person. Someone in the forum published it so why wouldn't the site about specs and rumors release the findings. You think no one else will? Is this Jeff Cable burner account. You care a bit too much.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Is the Sony A9 II 45 MP? Last time I checked it was still 24.

If you are talking about the Z9 or A1, those are different kinda of bodies. An R1 will come. You are right though, it will require some waiting.
The A9 series is from 2017. The A9 II wasnt that big of an upgrade. Canon is a bit late with the competition.... I wonder if Sony would even follow up that series. The A7IV will most likely be better overall compared to an A9 and much cheaper.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2021
Is the Sony A9 II 45 MP? Last time I checked it was still 24.

If you are talking about the Z9 or A1, those are different kinda of bodies. An R1 will come. You are right though, it will require some waiting.
Unfortunately the issue is one of timing and perception..

The A1 is here and the Z9 is coming and they can’t be ignored. There’s nothing wrong with Canon releasing a 24mp body that targets the pro sports market.
The problem is that for many people who want and need extra resolution the R3 if its in fact 24mp doesn’t meet their needs. If Canon had also developed a 50mp / 30fps stacked sensor / no EVF blackout body that goes head to head with the Sony/Nikon offerings that would have kept everyone happy.

An R1 is probably quite a while away yet

Upvote 0
The A9 series is from 2017. The A9 II wasnt that big of an upgrade. Canon is a bit late with the competition.... I wonder if Sony would even follow up that series. The A7IV will most likely be better overall compared to an A9 and much cheaper.
You do know Sony release a 12mp camera just last year and it is the interest darling. There is a reason for 20mp class cameras. They fill a need. The R5 at 45mp also exists.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I am a big believer in buying what makes you feel creative. Some folks like film, some like Leicas. If it gets you out to shoot and you enjoy it then it is money well spent. I am working on a documentary of a place I own for my YouTube channel. I have 100 subs and who knows maybe in 10 years I may have 1000. If one of them enjoys the documentary and I enjoy making it then I have succeeded. That being said I have some paid work which is another kettle of fish. I need something there that works and I am familiar with.
I am a firm believer in buying what you want, not necessarily what you need, budget constraints, if any, being the limiting factor.....good luck with your YT channel.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]Here in Denmark, when you sell used items the store addes VAT to the difference between their purchase price and their selling price. I haven't looked into how it works for Antiques, but I strongly suspect that the system is exactly the same.
In my high school economics class it that scheme was explained as "Value Added Tax is a tax being applied to the added value." You can opt to apply it to the whole amount when selling and when filing taxes, deduct the amount you paid when buying, but that works out exactly the same. This applies mostly to (re)sellers, as a consumer I don't have to deal with those shenanigans.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I am a firm believer in buying what you want, not necessarily what you need, budget constraints, if any, being the limiting factor.....good luck with your YT channel.
I agree. Always frustrating when people here say, "Why do you need this or that..."

At the price point of some high end things, need is of low importance. It's about want.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Unfortunately the issue is one of timing and perception..

The A1 is here and the Z9 is coming and they can’t be ignored. There’s nothing wrong with Canon releasing a 24mp body that targets the pro sports market.
The problem is that for many people who want and need extra resolution the R3 if its in fact 24mp doesn’t meet their needs. If Canon had also developed a 50mp / 30fps stacked sensor / no EVF blackout body that goes head to head with the Sony/Nikon offerings that would have kept everyone happy.

An R1 is probably quite a while away yet
Good points. Perhaps Canon may surprise us with a dual R3 release, like they did with the R5/R6??? Doubtful, based on press releases so far but you never know. At any rate, I'm loving all the tech coming down the gear pipe line, across all Mfgs., the sheer number of incredible offerings surprising given declining market conditions.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
I can definitely understand why the R3 is 24 MP, the time it takes to process images on my 18MP vs 32MP cameras is a very big difference. The R3 market needs to process and send the photos to their company as quickly as possible.
The R5 offers JPEG outputs of varying sizes. Is the pro market shooting JPEG? Is there a reason why an M size image could not be used when speed is required and an L size image used when higher resolution is required? When presented with these options it does not seem like in practice high MP would slow anything down with correct settings. Can you please explain the issue?
How does the pro market feel about one CFExpress and one SD card slot? It seemed that common wisdom on this forum was that pros “need” two identical cards. If Canon designed the R3 for pros, they either didn’t know about this preference or didn’t think it was worth following. (The same could be true for MP preference, however unlikely it seems at the moment.)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
It seemed that common wisdom on this forum was that pros “need” two identical cards. If Canon designed the R3 for pros, they either didn’t know about this preference or didn’t think it was worth following.
There is no such thing as common wisdom on this forum. Of the 1D cameras, only the X and X III have had a pair of identical card slots.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Of course Canon will pay vloggers (in money/goods/trips) to state this camera is epic. But the only right thing to do here is: WAIT. For an R1 to be announced with 45 mpix at least. Again: I just don’t get it. Why 24mpix when everyone else is doing 45? Canon is starting to be the weakest kid in class now ... they are always late and running behind. I don’t care whatever (paid) nonsense will be posted here as a reaction, but the best thing to do for me and a lot of other pro’s is: WAIT. Unfortunately.
*rummages through desk looking for can of troll spray*

• Haha
Upvote 0