The Canon EOS R3 will be 24mp, confirmed by EXIF data

Can I ask a dumb question?

This is from Jeff Cable's latest blog - he's photographing beach volleyball (not sure it it's the R3 or not):

"I set my ISO to 1000, had an aperture of f/3.5, which gave me the desired shutter speed of 1/1000 sec."

Why wouldn't a Pro sports photographer dial in and set his shutter speed in first (say in shutter priority or manual with auto-ISO) of 1/1000 and worry about his aperture second and ISO last?

I don't get it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Alan B

1DX Mark III
Feb 2, 2021

This is from Jeff Cable's latest blog - he's photographing beach volleyball (not sure it it's the R3 or not):

"I set my ISO to 1000, had an aperture of f/3.5, which gave me the desired shutter speed of 1/1000 sec."

Why wouldn't a Pro sports photographer dial in and set his shutter speed in first (say in shutter priority or manual with auto-ISO) of 1/1000 and worry about his aperture second and ISO last?

I don't get it.

He is shooting in Aperture priority in all of his shots with the R3, so the cam is setting the shutter speed!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

I don't get it.
It was a total decision where all three were interlinked, one did not begat the other. I can walk up to a scene and manually set the three parameters I expect will work, sometimes I nail it most times I need to adjust one of the metrics. So he had 1/1000 in mind then preset the other two to see if that was what he got.

The choice of auto mode or full manual is normally dictated by the light source on the subject varying or not, and how much the background will vary across frames. Sand reflects a lot more light that signage (in general) so if the subject is going to track across the two then manual makes more sense. Even AF point linked spot metering is easily fooled if the uniforms are varied.

Upvote 0
Not offensive at all. Never said so.

However, you already knew it wouldn't. Thus, pretender/poser/troll, or maybe just glib.

As this is the R3, we already know this isn't another flavor of the R1... which is yet to be released. Certainly, it isn't a 1 series..
Well you know what, there's a lot there I agree with. Except the idea that I'm out to be insincere or troll (not my style). So why don't we just head off our respective ways, and when we actually get the full facts on either the R3 and in time R1 buy and enjoy them, or not, as we see fit?

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
So you agree for a specific purpose releasing a lower megapixel camera is okay? Why does Sony get a pass?

You cannot take photos with the C70.
The primary use is for video. I dont let the form factor fool me. A stills camera in 2021/22 shouldnt be trying to compete with a camera from 2017. Thats my point. The A9 was supposed to be Sony's answer to the 1DXII. The c70 does indeed take photos and they are 8MP JPG.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Well you know what, there's a lot there I agree with. Except the idea that I'm out to be insincere or troll (not my style). So why don't we just head off our respective ways, and when we actually get the full facts on either the R3 and in time R1 buy and enjoy them, or not, as we see fit?
Do a long-distance (covid-safe) shake hands and put it behind you. It's too easy for these things to get out of hand unintentionally.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012

I don't get it.
Neither do I. I would have shot it in manual with the ISO allowed to float. I've had the situation where the scene is so bright that the ISO reaches its minimum then the camera starts to overexpose. I think some Nikons allow you to tell the camera to change the shutter speed or aperture when that happens.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US

I don't get it.
I would have used M with autoISO which would have allowed me to control aperture and shutter speed as needed. With that said, I am only a enthusiast wildlife photographer so I know nothing about photographing the Olympics,

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

I don't get it.
People do what they are familiar with, which is usually what they learned when they first started shooting. You get used to doing something a certain way, and that is likely to be the way you will keep doing it. Most pros tend to stick with what they know because it works and they can't afford to be trying something new when their livelihood depends on delivering an image.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

I don't get it.
I don’t understand either. One of the great advantages of mirrorless is you see the exposure directly through the evf. I use full manual Fv for my nature/action shots, set the shutter speed and aperture, and then twiddle the iso with a dial or control ring when composing to what I think looks right or to avoid clipping highlights. Anyway, I’m just an amateur.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Modifying my comments slightly. Think about what he said: "I set my ISO to 1000, had an aperture of f/3.5, which gave me the desired shutter speed of 1/1000 sec."

So, he got to the venue. He looks at the lighting and thinks "I'll need an ISO of 1000. I want my aperture to be about f3.5 (not wide open, but close), what's that gonna do for my shutter speed? Okay, it's at 1000. I'm good to go."

He probably is shooting manual and adjusting the settings. He's also experienced enough that he can probably eyeball most settings when he enters the venue. If he found the lighting wasn't going to give him the settings he wanted, he would have adjusted them. He's not saying he used aperture priority, he's just saying that he had an aperture of f3.5. Maybe he did use aperture priority, I don't know, but I'm guessing that whatever setting he used, he pretty much knew from experience what he needed and how he arrived at it didn't matter.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Side note. I shoot a lot of volleyball (regular, not beach) and I'm loving the way he could shoot through the net with the R3. I've had pretty good luck with the 1DxIII (better than the 1DxII) shooting through the net, but it looks like the R3 is even better. "Canon, I just can't quit you." :)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
My knowledge of Latin grammar is poor. I know that Cato used to say "delenda" but he was saying "Carthage must be destroyed."

kaihp is not trying to say "Canon must be destroyed" as an demand/call to action, but rather "Canon will be destroyed" (or more loosely...Canon is d**med) and for all I know that might actually call for the "-am" ending.
"delenda" is a peculiar verb form that is something like a future passive participle or gerundive. If you want to say "will be destroyed," you would use a simple future tense of the verb in passive voice.

We are obsessing over a cute joke. I'm sorry that I got into the fray. The quotation is so well known that even folks who don't know (or like me don't remember much) Latin would catch the error.

Upvote 0
The primary use is for video. I dont let the form factor fool me. A stills camera in 2021/22 shouldnt be trying to compete with a camera from 2017. Thats my point. The A9 was supposed to be Sony's answer to the 1DXII. The c70 does indeed take photos and they are 8MP JPG.
So Sony goes back in time with 12mp all is good. Canon uses 24mp not good. Got it. You certainly seem objective.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2021
So Sony goes back in time with 12mp all is good. Canon uses 24mp not good. Got it. You certainly seem objective.
The A7SIII is a primary video camera above stills.

Sony has the A9 series as their standard resolution sports body and the A1 as their flagship. Canon are releasing a non flagship body after Sony already have and just before Nikon release theirs.
Some will be happy to be getting the R3 but going from some of the comments there’s definitely some disappointment as well.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Side note. I shoot a lot of volleyball (regular, not beach) and I'm loving the way he could shoot through the net with the R3. I've had pretty good luck with the 1DxIII (better than the 1DxII) shooting through the net, but it looks like the R3 is even better. "Canon, I just can't quit you." :)
I was also impressed on how well he was able to focus through the net with the AF.

Upvote 0