The Canon EOS R3 will be 24mp, confirmed by EXIF data

Feb 3, 2019
I really don't think the r3 is meant to be comparable to the A1 or whatever. they may be in a similar pricing area, but for different focus groups. As far as I can tell - the 1dx series never had high mp and thous was all around every sporting event. wonder why...
this series never had any problems and and at least sold well enough to keep it the way it was for a decade. So there is a marked and this marked will now be feeded with this upcoming R3. Fast, rugged and no need for high MP.
to everyone complaining: If U feel not to be in the targeted group then u just not are. just don't buy it. U don't buy a 911 if u want to drive ur 6 kids family around - is this the fault of Porsche to not produce a 7 seated 911er? No, so why glaring and complaining bout a camera, which is obviously not meant for U? Like Porsche, canon has and will have other products, that maybe will serve ur demands better. and if they don't - then u r free to use any other. but why complaining about canon now? they didn't had a full body high MP camera for nearly a decade so why is this suddenly a problem? its nothing new.

And why are they "falling behind"? They DO have a lot of higher MP sensors, they obviously just don't want them in THIS camera. I am pretty sure it was an well discussed decision and not just sth the "couldn't" do.
Sure, you’ve got a point here, but then the R3 needs to be around 3000 euro’s ... we’ll see

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Sure, you’ve got a point here, but then the R3 needs to be around 3000 euro’s ... we’ll see
Needs to be? Why? So you will buy one? You’ve already said you don’t want one, and regardless Canon doesn’t give a damn whether you buy one or not.

Or do you mean for the R3 to be successful? In other words, you believe you have more experience and knowledge about how to develop and market cameras then Canon. Lol. Good luck selling that BS anywhere.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
As far as I can tell - the 1dx series never had high mp and thous was all around every sporting event. wonder why...

Once the 1D4 was removed from supported status, what other options did pro users have except the 1DX? The 5D2 wasn't in the same class in terms of ruggedness and performance.

I'd say the 1DX series succeeded despite its specs, not because of. Simply because there was no other in-system alternative.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Once the 1D4 was removed from supported status, what other options did pro users have except the 1DX? The 5D2 wasn't in the same class in terms of ruggedness and performance.

I'd say the 1DX series succeeded despite its specs, not because of. Simply because there was no other in-system alternative.
You say that like Canon Nikon And Sony don't talk or interact with their target market at all, yet all three manufacturers have similar cameras with similar specs aimed at that same market!

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I will be the smart guy here and ask a good question. Is there still room or a need for the high priced low MP sports cameras since the A1. I know Canon alledged asked people about what is important but that was before we had the A1 and upcoming Z9. This dialog is important because a lot of people do seem dissatisfied with the specs. ANd not to call them all haters because when the R5 was announced i barely saw any of this negativity. Hopefully the price reflects the specs or demand.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I will be the smart guy here and ask a good question. Is there still room or a need for the high priced low MP sports cameras since the A1. I know Canon alledged asked people about what is important but that was before we had the A1 and upcoming Z9.
Will you be? So everyone should/will switch to Sony or Nikon now? Lol, no. So is there a need for a Canon high-spec lower MP sports camera? Given that most of the major sporting events before the ongoing Olympics were filled with 20 MP 1D X IIs/IIIs (and a few Nikon bodies, and sometimes a Sony camera or two), the answer is clearly yes.

This dialog is important because a lot of people do seem dissatisfied with the specs.
A lot of people here on the Internet seem dissatisfied. What has been the feedback from the people actually using the R3 to cover the Olympics? You know...the people who actually matter. Because the vast majority of people on this forum complaining about the R3 MP count would not have bought one regardless if the MP count was 20, 30, 45, 60, 100, 200, or any number in between.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I will be the smart guy here and ask a good question. Is there still room or a need for the high priced low MP sports cameras since the A1. I know Canon alledged asked people about what is important but that was before we had the A1 and upcoming Z9. This dialog is important because a lot of people do seem dissatisfied with the specs. ANd not to call them all haters because when the R5 was announced i barely saw any of this negativity. Hopefully the price reflects the specs or demand.
Is there a market for a 12mp camera since the R5 was announced? It seems to be selling well. I like megapixels as much as the next guy, but an all around such as the R3 will probably be very popular for its intended use. It will be a sweet video rig and a nice photo rig. Not sure what the problem is?

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Maybe because there is this thing called same or similar ergonomics with other Canon sports cameras and the slight detail of EF and RF big whites! Just saying...

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Is there a market for a 12mp camera since the R5 was announced? It seems to be selling well. I like megapixels as much as the next guy, but an all around such as the R3 will probably be very popular for its intended use. It will be a sweet video rig and a nice photo rig. Not sure what the problem is?
you still on that a7siii knowing that most people went to sony for video when they got into the mirrorless game and the A7SIII is primarily for video shooters.Find me some sports shooters or portrait shooters that use the camera exclusively or for a majority of the time for photos. Also as an event and portrait shooter I def would not be comfortable with 12MP. sometimes i do have to crop to remove distractions or for framing purposes.

Upvote 0
you still on that a7siii knowing that most people went to sony for video when they got into the mirrorless game and the A7SIII is primarily for video shooters.Find me some sports shooters or portrait shooters that use the camera exclusively or for a majority of the time for photos. Also as an event and portrait shooter I def would not be comfortable with 12MP. sometimes i do have to crop to remove distractions or for framing purposes.
Point being not every camera Canon releases will be 45 MP. They appear to range between 20 and 50. Not everyone is you and not everyone is me.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Will you be? So everyone should/will switch to Sony or Nikon now? Lol, no. So is there a need for a Canon high-spec lower MP sports camera? Given that most of the major sporting events before the ongoing Olympics were filled with 20 MP 1D X IIs/IIIs (and a few Nikon bodies, and sometimes a Sony camera or two), the answer is clearly yes.

A lot of people here on the Internet seem dissatisfied. What has been the feedback from the people actually using the R3 to cover the Olympics? You know...the people who actually matter. Because the vast majority of people on this forum complaining about the R3 MP count would not have bought one regardless if the MP count was 20, 30, 45, 60, 100, 200, or any number in between.
There are a lot more comsumers in the world than some Olympics shooters. I am a consumer and we as consumers shouldnt bend over for companies. We should let businesses know our demands especially for tools that we use that help us make a living. I mentioned the R5 because of that predictable comment about what I call "haters" R5 did sell good according to Canon is well received by most photographers and some videographers outside of youtubians and tech geeks/trolls. That came was pretty much a home run because it checked most the reasonable boxes of shooters.
Point being not every camera Canon releases will be 45 MP. They appear to range between 20 and 50. Not everyone is you and not everyone is me.
you keep talking about a 12mp camera though. i dont have a big problem with 24mp. i think it is low for todays standards but not make or break.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
717 post so far. Is this a record? I have been checking this thread just to see how far this can go.
I was thinking the same thing. I also think that 24mp is not much but it's OK I already have R5 so I will not get that camera. I already have 5DMkIV and 5DsR which I do not want to sell and I have 2 Nikons with 500PF for handheld birding. R5 with 500IIand 2XIII produces high IQ pictures so I do not need more. I already have more than I can handle.

And if Z9 - with an adapter unfortunately, I would certainly prefer a D880 or something - works with 500PF and TC1.4III as good AF wise as D850 works with the plain 500PF then I will have work to do :)

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2021
That’s a very good point but the R6 came out at the same time so those who didn’t want 45mp were also given an option.

Had Canon also made a high mp body capable of shooting 30fps to compete with the A1 and Z9 there wouldn’t be any problems at all.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
That’s a very good point but the R6 came out at the same time so those who didn’t want 45mp were also given an option.

Had Canon also made a high mp body capable of shooting 30fps to compete with the A1 and Z9 there wouldn’t be any problems at all.
Just think of R3 as a guinea pig. It will help Canon to test new tech before applying it to R1. At the same time maybe a 45Mp Backside illuminated stacked sensor is not ready by Canon.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
There are a lot more comsumers in the world than some Olympics shooters. I am a consumer and we as consumers shouldnt bend over for companies. We should let businesses know our demands especially for tools that we use that help us make a living.
Totally agree there are more consumers than pro shooters at the Olympics, and that ‘we’ should let Canon know ‘our’ demands.

The trap you seem to have fallen into is the belief that you represent ‘we’. You don’t. Like you, I’m a consumer…and I’ll be buying the R3. So will many others, just as many won’t buy it. The difference is that I don’t delude myself into thinking I know what Canon ‘should’ do.

But empirical observation (helpfully facilitated by Canon’s annual press releases proclaiming themselves the ILC market leader for yet another in a long line of consecutive years), indicates that Canon has a very good idea of what they should do to keep consumers buying their cameras.

So, you can decry the ‘unacceptably low’ MP count of the R3 until the keys on your keyboard that you use to type ‘d00med’ fail…the last nearly two decades suggest you’re wrong as far as the overall market for the camera is concerned.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0