The Canon EOS R3 will be 24mp, confirmed by EXIF data

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
No, I haven’t. I was responding to the the claim that 24 MP was a technological limit, and it’s not.
It may be, depending on how confident they are with their sensor production. As it is their first stacked and BSI sensor, we don't have a reference for how well behaved that is, do we?

Of course, that would be more of an economical limit caused by technological challenges, as even if for example their yield was quite low, that could be compensated for by a higher price.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
We have to work with what technology provides us with at any given time. I trust Canon is doing the best it can. For a 'speed demon' camera they are launching in R3, 24 mpx seems to be the best compromise between speed and mpx. With time, engines will take more torque and the mpx will increase.
I do not believe the 24mp is a compromise. I think the 24mp is a deliberate choice because Canon believe that is the intended markets preference. Just like Sony and the 12mp A7S , A7S II, and A7S III.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I know a few professional wedding photographers that are more video orientated and use the A7S for the still photography as well when doing both at a venue. In fact it’s a remarkably popular camera for this.
I would use it if i am hired for both video and photos and I know the only place the photos will end up on is social media. I wonder how the noise looks on a low mp camera at a high iso compared to something like an r5

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I would use it if i am hired for both video and photos and I know the only place the photos will end up on is social media. I wonder how the noise looks on a low mp camera at a high iso compared to something like an r5
As AlanF has mentioned many times to do a proper noise comparison you will have to downscale R5 photos to 24mpixel.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
qa
I would use it if i am hired for both video and photos and I know the only place the photos will end up on is social media.
That makes sense because of course, as we all know, a 12 MP image is entirely unsuitable for printing, enlargement, or any other use than a 0.8 MP instagram upload.

Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 10.49.58 AM.png

Side note, that image sure is blurry! Probably because it was shot on a 12 MP camera.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
They could also use dual Digic processors if needed (or more, the 1D X has three of them), if needed. As I said, 24 MP is a choice.
Agreed.
I think Canon mentioned 'a' Digic X processor in the R3, so I'm assuming one?

A two year cycle is around average for new Canon processors at the moment, no doubt we'll see a Digic 11 (XI) in the R1 next year, even multi XI processors.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Agreed.

A two year cycle is around average for new Canon processors at the moment, no doubt we'll see a Digic 11 (XI) in the R1 next year, even multi XI processors.
I'd assume just one, but I do recall that Canon highlighted the 1D X as having 'dual-digit 5+' in the development announcement, and didn't really mention the extra Digic 4 that was in there for handling AE.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I do prefer high mpx than low, and would be happy if Canon one day comes out with a 'speed' camera with higher mpx.
Honest question: is the 20 fps of the R5 not speedy enough for you? Or do you mean a higher MP body with integrated grip (something I prefer strongly, an add-on grip just isn't the same ergonomically)?

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I briefly flirted with the idea of a A7S for low light work during church wedding ceremonies. That was until I compared my 5DS cameras with the A7S at my highest required ISO setting - 6400 with the 50mp 5DS downsampled to 12mp. Although the A7S was a little better the difference wasn’t worth bothering with.

Upvote 0
Agreed.

Beside the point a little maybe, but wasn't DIGIC X a cover term for a range of processors? When they first came out, I thought Canon said different iterations could be called that, so it's not like in the past where, eg DIGIC 4 had a given capacity, which was subsequently exceeded by DIGIC 5. I'm not even sure XI comes after X, any more than the 1Dx was followed by 1Dxi.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Beside the point a little maybe, but wasn't DIGIC X a cover term for a range of processors? When they first came out, I thought Canon said different iterations could be called that, so it's not like in the past where, eg DIGIC 4 had a given capacity, which was subsequently exceeded by DIGIC 5. I'm not even sure XI comes after X, any more than the 1Dx was followed by 1Dxi.
Yeah, it will be interesting what they'll go for once they want to push the notion that the processing is a truly new generation. But for now, DIGIC X is just a marketing term that covers different chips.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Ok. Possible. Maybe.
Well just use logic, Canon already sell cameras with processors capable of processing much more than 24mp at 30fps, they also already sell sensors with a lot more than 24mp, ergo the choice of 24mp is entirely a choice.

After considering those facts you either think Canon arbitrarily decided to go with 24mp, or they did market research with the intended market for the camera and those potential customers said (in the region of) 24mp.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Well just use logic, Canon already sell cameras with processors capable of processing much more than 24mp at 30fps, they also already sell sensors with a lot more than 24mp, ergo the choice of 24mp is entirely a choice.

After considering those facts you either think Canon arbitrarily decided to go with 24mp, or they did market research with the intended market for the camera and those potential customers said (in the region of) 24mp.
But these cameras are not as 'fast' as R3. Logically speaking ie.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I would use it if i am hired for both video and photos and I know the only place the photos will end up on is social media.
I have printed many A3 size wedding books when using the original 13 mp 5D and at this output size there is no significant difference in resolution / detail between those and later ones where I have predominantly used 5DS. In fact to be honest when looking back at archived shots taken with the original 5D I never looked at a potentially cracking shot and thought “I wish that had been taken on a 50mp 5DS” when considering resolution / detail. Other IQ aspects of the image, such as higher iso noise, colour definition, DR, soft / missed focus, yes. But never resolution.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

adigoks

EOS 750D
Jul 12, 2020
now how about the price?
with 24 MP sensor it matched a9ii
to be competitive this camera should be priced similar to A9ii with grip
A9 II (release price ) - $4500
battery grip - $400
extra battery - $50
~$5000
plus some extra features you may add another $500
so R3 should be around ~$5000 -$5500..
beyond that it could be difficult to justify the price.
unless canon have some trick up their sleeve

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
now how about the price?
with 24 MP sensor it matched a9ii
to be competitive this camera should be priced similar to A9ii with grip
A9 II (release price ) - $4500
battery grip - $400
extra battery - $50
~$5000
plus some extra features you may add another $500
so R3 should be around ~$5000 -$5500..
beyond that it could be difficult to justify the price.
unless canon have some trick up their sleeve
THe a9 isnt even worth that much anymore. I bet sony will cannibalize it completely with the a7iv for like half the price. I wonder if the a7iv will just be a lower MP A1.

Upvote 0