The Canon EOS R3 will be 24mp, confirmed by EXIF data

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Canon's research doesn't necessarily equate to what "most of us want"; a lot of folks SETTLE with what Canon options they have. Just because people are buying Canon cameras certainly doesn't mean those cameras are what they wanted. Sometimes good enough is...good enough.
I cry crocodile tears for anyone who has to settle... By choosing between an R5 or R3 :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2015
I switched to linux. Sadly I can't get any photo processing to work on Linux (other than Gimp), and forget DaVinci resolve!! I have an airgapped Windows 7 box for that kind of thing but unfortunately even that is too old for software nowadays. (Worse: to my surprise it apparently isn't even service pack 1, and I can't upgrade it except with a disc, and the disc requires SP 1 to function.)
Have you tried WSUS? I haven't checked to verify it still supports Win 7 but it may well. I used it from XP through 8.1 when I reloaded a Windows system to get the updates on it without waiting for downloads. The catch is you'd need access to a connected Win box to make the USB stick. (it's an open source tool that'll pull updates onto a USB stick, then allow applying them offline)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Canon's research doesn't necessarily equate to what "most of us want"; a lot of folks SETTLE with what Canon options they have. Just because people are buying Canon cameras certainly doesn't mean those cameras are what they wanted. Sometimes good enough is...good enough.
Agree. What most of us will buy is a better way to put it. Better for Canon, too, to keep customers satisfied but wanting still more.

Upvote 0

tapanit

CR Pro
Jul 17, 2012
Agree. What most of us will buy is a better way to put it. Better for Canon, too, to keep customers satisfied but wanting still more.
Right. And of course Canon may have R3s or R2 with R3 body but a high-resolution sensor in the works or even ready to go into production on short notice if they think it'd sell well enough. Or maybe they surprise us all by announcing such a thing simultaneously with R3 release... :)

Upvote 0

Bahrd

Red herrings...
Jun 30, 2013
I do not believe the 24mp is a compromise. I think the 24mp is a deliberate choice because Canon believe that is the intended markets preference. Just like Sony and the 12mp A7S , A7S II, and A7S III.
True but... They also introduce a new sensor tech - and that could be a limiting factor.

Upvote 0
The R5 went beyond most people's expectations and I am sure the R3 will also be a fantastic camera.
But neither camera is going to make everyone happy.

I love my R5 and don't want/need to replace it but I am curious to see what the R3 looks like and then the R1 will be very interesting.

But mostly I am just trying to help push this thread to 800 :p

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
How do you know ‘what most of us want’? Who is more likely to know ‘what most of us want’, a multinational corporation with the ability and resources to conduct global market research and a history of selling more ILCs than any other manufacturer every single year for almost two decades, or some rando on the internet? So yeah…ok.
As to Canon, I tend to agree with you.
But: remember The Ford Edsel...;)

Upvote 0
Honest question: is the 20 fps of the R5 not speedy enough for you? Or do you mean a higher MP body with integrated grip (something I prefer strongly, an add-on grip just isn't the same ergonomically)?
For me, the fps in itself is not the major attraction. For shooting motorcycle racing, the AF system of the 1Dx (that I purchased used) is vastly superior to the 5D3 AF system. The 1Dx AF is so much better, that after shooting with the 1Dx for about half an hour, I packed away my 5D3 for the rest of the weekend, the very first time I tried the 1Dx (I picked it up on the way to the MotoGP race). I only bring the 5D3 as a backup body (fortunately I've never had the need to use it as a backup).

Now, the 5D3 has other places where it is superior, like the silent shutter. The 1Dx 'silent' shutter mode is certainly less noisy than the normal shutter, but that's like saying a jackhammer is less noisy than a starting jet aircraft.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Ho hum.

Coming from a 5D3 (22Mpix) and a 1DX (18Mpix) and using the 1DX for motorcycle racing and the occasional wildlife from the local deer park, the concept of the R3 sounds really interesting to me. In fact, I've done a pre-order (I didn't have to put down a deposit, I just registered in the "I'm interested" queue, so this was an easy choice).

Coming from the 18/22Mpixels, my original anticipation was of 20-something Megapickels. Then the rumour of 30Mpixels should up, and I was a bit reluctant as I was concerned for file size and editing 'requirements' (computer load). Eventually I concluded that 30Mpixels was "acceptable" to me and the extra megapickels could actually be usefull for cropping. A classic case of post-decision rationalization of choices.

Then this 24Mpixels rumor comes up, and now I have "withdrawal" symptons from the 30Mpixels > 24Mpixels :LOL:.

Regardless of the actual sensor resolution, the R3 sounds like just the camera for me to enter the RF line - I like love the integrated grip, the AF system and the extra power of the 1D series.

Now,
Dear Canon, please hurry up and release the specs, release the pricing, and release the date when I can get my hands on the R3, so I can see for myself how much my bank account is going to winch. So far this spec & rumor release as taken quite the emotional toll on me (and others, I think).

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2019
Nothing! What is so hard for you to understand about the fact that the people Canon want to sell the R3 to do not want or need 50mp?

Whatever rocks your boat my friend.
Canon thought they were back on track with camera. Until Sony launched the A1. Then Canon decided to name this camera R3 instead of R1. Let’s hope for the masses that Canon can make an R1 this year. Or they will fall further and further behind.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Canon thought they were back on track with camera. Until Sony launched the A1. Then Canon decided to name this camera R3 instead of R1. Let’s hope for the masses that Canon can make an R1 this year. Or they will fall further and further behind.
So you think in such a short time span and so far into development they changed the card configuration from dual CFexpress (which you would expect for the R1, just like the 1DX III) for the CFexpress + SD configuration?

If this was supposed to be the R1, it makes no sense to call it anything else. Suppose the R3 started out as the R1 and Canon only changed the name. How does that benefit them? They would have given the appearance of creating a new line without actually doing so. Meaning people wanting a true R1 are expecting it to be released next year and people happy with the R3 will expect an R3 II in three to four years.

Canon can't rush a camera they hadn't scheduled before the A1 announced to market to compete in time for those that expect said competitor to launch next year. So they would reduce sales of the R3 by giving people the illusion a better camera is around the corner for no benefit.

And for the people who buy the R3, Canon would set them selves up for a rough time when conveying to those people that they'll be treated just like the people hanging on for an update of the 7D series or M5.

For what benefit? To look less embarrassing when compared to a body like the A1 - that sits in a completely different market segment anyway? Canon doesn't care about what YouTube and social media think of them. They care about money. Please explain how simply renaming the R1 to R3 would create a financial benefit for Canon.

Edit: Whoop! 800, here we go boiiis :LOL: Off to infinity and beyond!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I always chuckle when I see this assertion. Big companies don't work this way. The R3 has likely been in the works for YEARS, as has the R1. They surveyed the pros who work in this space to find out what they wanted. Considering Sony is still a minor player in this space (professional sports), I doubt that the A1 was any consideration at all. Also, anyone who thinks the A9 was a surprise has clearly never worked at a multi-national. They all know what the other one us up to long before the products make it to market. Sure, small features can change, but the overall product is well known. Canon has their targets for each product and build cameras/lenses for each. Besides, if anything was envisioned at Canon as being a competitor for the A1, it was likely the R5. The R5 can do almost everything the A1 can do for $2500 less. That is how Canon has always operated. They market cameras at similar performance levels using different price points. If anyone was surprised, it was likely Sony with the R5 (though I'm sure they weren't). I would expect a dev announcement on the R1 to come before the end of this year if not with the R3.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
This is an interesting take on the market for the R3. I think there are plenty of legacy Canon DSLR users that haven't made the change to the RF mount because there is not a camera available yet that is right for them. I see the R3 as a camera to convice those users to upgrade to mirrorless.

People doing airshows/motorsport/fast action photography need a fast viewfinder, a responsive camera and 'enough' megapickles (24mp is enough) to capture details.

The R5 is good, but until they can replicate OVF type speed and usability then I and many others will not 'upgrade'...

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0