The Canon EOS R3 will be 24mp, confirmed by EXIF data

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Can I ask... is Jeff Cable the only EOL Canon sports shooter who publicly released his R3 Olympic images? I struggle with the idea that EVERY other Canon photographer adhered to the very strict constraints demanded by Canon's NDA and that Jeff was the only one to shoot with the R3 and release his photos. And that those photo's EXIF data are the sole source for the 24mp claim. I'm not calling into question the EXIF data.... but where are the other sports shooter's "R3" images supporting the 24mp claim
Good question. A quick internet search seems (I could be wrong) to show that he is not an Explorer of Light, but that he shoots for Team USA and has a sponsorship agreement with Canon. Looks like Getty Images also picks up his photos. Perhaps he was tasked by Canon to blog about his Olympic experience and promote the R3. I think it is highly unlikely that he would have violated any non-disclosure agreement and that Canon either knew or didn't care that people would be able to discern the resolution from his photos. I would expect that many of his photos will be showing up in promotional materials when Canon announces the R3.

As to why other photographers EXIF data is not showing up, I have no idea. Maybe everyone else was using 1Dx IIIs? :)

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
When you get that 5DV send me a pm will you and tell me where you got it :)
Gladly. Since so many are posting about fantasy cameras here, why shouldn't I? Some of those fantasies have a chance of showing up in some form later, unlike my 5DV.

Reality is that I really did consider an impulse purchase of a 5DIV when it briefly dropped below $2,000. I realized that I had used the articulating screen more than usual recently (such as shooting video of myself to be used as part of online church services, and needing to see that I was in the frame). So I figured even with the 5DIV, I would still be using the 6D2 at lot anyway. Last night I did a test of interval shots of the sky to see about how I will set things if get to try for Perseid meteors. With swinging out the screen, I didn't have to lie down to change settings and see results. If I see somewhere a new 5DIV for around $1800, I probably won't resist this time.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
You, like everyone, are entitled to have and express your own opinion. You’re not entitled to your own facts. Also, keep in mind that while people who hold the opinion that the earth is flat are entitled to have and express that opinion, they’ll look like fools for doing so.
Please advise as to which facts I am making up. I also think it is beneath you to start name calling just because you disagree with my opinion.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Please advise as to which facts I am making up. I also think it is beneath you to start name calling just because you disagree with my opinion.
I guess I am a little confused by this as well. Perhaps he read this statement as a command, rather than speculative. I simply took it to mean your opinion is that Canon "probably" has a different plan for the R1.
They must have a different plan for the R1.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
I guess I am a little confused by this as well. Perhaps he read this statement as a command, rather than speculative. I simply took it to mean your opinion is that Canon "probably" has a different plan for the R1.
Correct. As this is a speculative topic on camera that have yet to be introduced, it is definitely my opinion only.

It's kind of like saying a sports team "must" get a certain player, the fan who says it is obviously does not have control over the decision making, but is expressing his opinion.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I guess I'm trying to understand why anyone would want 70mp for studio work... don't most of us smooth skin during post? Why in the world would I want more resolution? I'm starting to feel like the only ones that really need high mp are landscape and bird photographers. Now I am both of those and high res is great in some instances, but there are times the pixel density gets in the way. I'll have both, but if I had to pick just one I think that resolution would be pretty far down the list of priorities.
Agreed, which is why I personally am fine with the presumed 24 MP of the R3.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I guess I'm trying to understand why anyone would want 70mp for studio work... don't most of us smooth skin during post? Why in the world would I want more resolution? I'm starting to feel like the only ones that really need high mp are landscape and bird photographers. Now I am both of those and high res is great in some instances, but there are times the pixel density gets in the way. I'll have both, but if I had to pick just one I think that resolution would be pretty far down the list of priorities.
Even then the landscapers need to be printing big, which frankly most don’t, and the birders only when they are cropping hard and are focal length limited. So even these two scenarios end up as niches within niches.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Even then the landscapers need to be printing big, which frankly most don’t, and the birders only when they are cropping hard and are focal length limited. So even these two scenarios end up as niches within niches.
So of course, Canon must make a camera for those sub-niches. They simply must. A professional-type body. The R5 need not apply.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
So of course, Canon must make a camera for those sub-niches. They simply must. A professional-type body. The R5 need not apply.
Duh! If they don’t then Canon don’t stand a chance of holding back the tidal wave of people jumping to or buying Sony and Nikon high megapixel options. And don’t give me that sales numbers stuff you always spout, I’m sure I don’t need to say the word, Kodak!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I guess I'm trying to understand why anyone would want 70mp for studio work...
I think people imagine the days of Irving Penn and other classic studio photographers with large format cameras. The big glossy magazines are mostly gone. The fashion magazines that remain seem more interested in the individual style of the photographer. The quality of digital today can match large format film and if the photographer wants that look, they will probably use a large format camera anyway. There are a handful of art photographers (real art, as in those that get their images in national galleries) that work in huge sizes and large formats, but they wouldn't constitute a market for a mass produced camera like the R1 (Although I recall Martin Parr doing some big prints of beachgoers with the 5Ds but I think that was a Canon-sponsored project and isn't how he normally shoots)

Those that would need or want a high resolution R body would likely be fine with an R5s, as I don't know why studio photographers would need a 1 series body (From what I've seen in videos, most of the Explorers of Light that do studio/fashion/wedding work are using 5 series.)

It is a mystery to me where the currently mythical R1 will land. I don't see it going below the R3, but I also don't see it setting a resolution record. It seems like 30-50 mp might be the sweet spot.

Upvote 0

Ryan Loco

CR Pro
Aug 7, 2021
The R5 is more than enough for studio stuff. Sometimes I won't even use it because I don't want to have to deal with the long upload/transferring due to garbage hotel wifi.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
A new Peter McKinnon R3 video. Camera is noticeably smaller than 1dx2.
Seriously? You missed the complete thread on this one, it’s already 4 pages....

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Seriously? You missed the complete thread on this one, it’s already 4 pages....

My mistake. Can't keep track of all the R3 threads on this forum!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

tapanit

CR Pro
Jul 17, 2012
It is a mystery to me where the currently mythical R1 will land. I don't see it going below the R3, but I also don't see it setting a resolution record. It seems like 30-50 mp might be the sweet spot.
It's a mystery to everybody outside Canon (and a small number of people even there). But here's a prediction (read: wild guess):

Within a year or a bit more, Canon will announce (and hopefully release) two high-end bodies:

* R1 with 45 megapixels (just enough for 8K, no more) and other specs matching or exceeding the R3.

* A 90 megapixel body, either R5s or R3s depending on which body type they see better for it; probably the latter, as it would make heat management easier.

Another prediction (much safer): the longest canonrumors discussion thread about both of those will exceed that of the R3. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
It's a mystery to everybody outside Canon (and a small number of people even there). But here's a prediction (read: wild guess):

Within a year or a bit more, Canon will announce (and hopefully release) two high-end bodies:

* R1 with 45 megapixels (just enough for 8K, no more) and other specs matching or exceeding the R3.

* A 90 megapixel body, either R5s or R3s depending on which body type they see better for it; probably the latter, as it would make heat management easier.

Another prediction (much safer): the longest canonrumors discussion thread about both of those will exceed that of the R3. :)
All three 1Ds models came out basically a year after their 1D counterparts, when the 1Ds launched in 2002 it was $7,999, close to $12,000 in todays money.

I expect the R1 to have a lot the R3 doesn't, and it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't have a couple of things the R3 has. I wouldn't be surprised if an R1 didn't have a flip screen or the eye controlled focus for instance.

What I do expect it to have are quad pixel AF along with a semi practical way of doing pixel shift for those that love specs or shoot still life/product in a studio on a Foba (but the second group all shoot medium format already). If it had an 8k optimized 45mp resolution sensor it could claim 180mp with pixel shift, just like Hasselblad do. But wouldn't be surprised to see it beat the 5Ds/r for resolution and hit 55 or 60mp natively, this would be a 'first' of over 200mp in a pixel shift. I can hear the lens not up to the resolution threads already.....

The other biggie, which is a $2,000 option on the Cinema cameras, is a global shutter.

If the R3 comes in at $5,500 (nicely between the R5 and 1DX III) that puts the R1 over $7,500 but it would, potentially, out spec the Z9 and A1 effortlessly.

Upvote 0